Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #15
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
That that I care, but will CARB give you any problems with the emmission inspections?
Most likely as it lacks a Carb legal number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
@ Sladgehammer,
Do you have a part number? And do you know if the flashing works on EU Camaros?
Part number is on the Thatgmpartsguys website. I have no idea about EU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoolBreeze View Post
Do we have any idea as to when this will be available for CARB states, like California?
It seems as if GM gave up on a 50 state version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
Hey Matt, are you going to install this CAI? Just curious to see if there is a change between the 2 previous CAI's you already tried out or had installed.
Installing it on my buddies car and will do dyno runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
Thanks for the video. Since I'm keeping the warranty for a while, I may go this way.
Seems like a good route.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:18 PM   #16
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Lethal -

Since this is basically a redone CAI, CAI..do you happen to remember what your dyno results on it were before on your own SS?
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #17
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Lethal -

Since this is basically a redone CAI, CAI..do you happen to remember what your dyno results on it were before on your own SS?
Last time I posted numbers a certain company sent me a cease and desist DM trying to tell me I couldn't share my opinions and facts from my own testing. At the end of the day and some back and forth DM's they took back their statement, but it was frustrating.

At the time I thought I ran into issues with the dyno I was on and the car being put into an odd mode causing the AFR to tank and dump fuel to cool the cats. What the real issue was is no one really dyno'ed these products on automatics in their initial testing. When I asked each company if they did, most came back with 'we're doing testing now' or never responded. The only company who worked with me directly and saw the same issues was Roto-Fab.

At the end of the day on real road testing via an A8, you can see a gain of around 6-7RWHP and the same with TRQ (this is not scientific testing) on the CAI product. On a dyno, the A8 ECU will take a crap and will most likely not provide real results. I was getting 1-2RWHP and TRQ gains (within fault tolerances on three different dynos). I was not able to see the same issues on a M6 vehicle. They provided fairly consistent results of 9-12rwhp gains pending the dyno and day tested.

I worked with EFI Tuning early on to read logs to see what was happening and in road driving the conditions we saw on the dyno were non-existent (Thank God I avoided tickets doing full limiter runs in 5th gear). The only way I was able to get a real reading on a dyno was to lift some of the ECU parameters to allow the car to not shift into some weird protection mode. So technically I had to tune my car to get real dyno results, but the only change was lifting the limits that were predefined by GM to not set off the fail safe.

At the end of the day, I settled in on CAI and Roto-Fab being the only two systems I tested that felt worth the cost of admission. I tested products from AFE, Mishimoto, CAI, Roto-Fab, and K&N. I should also note, the simple swap of the base filter in the stock system showed promising results for the lowest price.

I spent a lot of money on products and dyno time and a lot of hours of frustration around this. I haven't seen many others outside of Jannetty Racing put time and effort to reveal true numbers. I'll be honest in saying some of the harsh letters and DM's I got from companies put me off from chasing this any further. Again Roto-Fab was the only company who showed professionalism and gave me their time to figure some of this stuff out. Also, a shout out to EFI Tuning for his early help on some of my logs.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #18
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
Last time I posted numbers a certain company sent me a cease and desist DM trying to tell me I couldn't share my opinions and facts from my own testing. At the end of the day and some back and forth DM's they took back their statement, but it was frustrating.

At the time I thought I ran into issues with the dyno I was on and the car being put into an odd mode causing the AFR to tank and dump fuel to cool the cats. What the real issue was is no one really dyno'ed these products on automatics in their initial testing. When I asked each company if they did, most came back with 'we're doing testing now' or never responded. The only company who worked with me directly and saw the same issues was Roto-Fab.

At the end of the day on real road testing, you can see a gain of around 6-7RWHP and the same with TRQ (this is not scientific testing) on the CAI product. On a dyno, the A8 ECU will take a crap and will most likely not provide real results. I was getting 1-2RWHP and TRQ gains (within fault tolerances on three different dynos).

I worked with EFI Tuning early on to read logs to see what was happening and in road driving the conditions we saw on the dyno were non-existent (Thank God I avoided tickets doing full limiter runs in 5th gear). The only way I was able to get a real reading on a dyno was to lift some of the ECU parameters to allow the car to not shift into some weird protection mode. So technically I had to tune my car to get real dyno results, but the only change was lifting the limits that were predefined by GM to not set off the fail safe.

At the end of the day, I settled in on CAI and Roto-Fab being the only two systems I tested that felt worth the cost of admission. I tested products from AFE, Mishimoto, CAI, Roto-Fab, and K&N. I should also note, the simple swap of the base filter in the stock system showed promising results for the lowest price.

I spent a lot of money on products and dyno time and a lot of hours of frustration around this. I haven't seen many others outside of Jannetty Racing put time and effort to reveal true numbers. I'll be honest in saying some of the harsh letters and DM's I got from companies put me off from chasing this any further. Again Roto-Fab was the only company who showed professionalism and gave me their time to figure some of this stuff out. Also, a shout out to EFI Tuning for his early help on some of my logs.
Wow, that is some BS that a company making products for a hobbyist would do that.

We all appreciate all of the work you put into the videos and how much knowledge you have provided the community. It's made the overall ownership experience of this car that much better having someone like yourself out there testing products and providing feedback.

If a company were smart, they'd leverage that, not try to stop it...but as we all know, there are some dumb companies that exist in the short term with these kind of tactics.

Thank you for the response, I'm about to head to the garage now with my GM CAI and your video on my phone to install it.

F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #19
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post

At the end of the day on real road testing via an A8, you can see a gain of around 6-7RWHP and the same with TRQ (this is not scientific testing) on the CAI product. On a dyno, the A8 ECU will take a crap and will most likely not provide real results. I was getting 1-2RWHP and TRQ gains (within fault tolerances on three different dynos). I was not able to see the same issues on a M6 vehicle. They provided fairly consistent results of 9-12rwhp gains pending the dyno and day tested.

Thanks for sharing that. It speaks volumes about these companies based on their interactions with a valued member of the community like yourself. I remember the issues with COT(?) being talked about but didn't know about the "cease and desist" BS from a certain company.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #20
oilgear

Drives: Camaro ss, Cadillac, Kawasaki ZRX,
Doesn't the drop in K & N filter give you 7-9 hp? Much better value.
oilgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #21
nbryant

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
Interesting. May have to swap out the filter with a red K&N.