Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 09-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Exclamation Help! Completely locked out of reverse!

Hi all, just tonight pulling into my driveway I got stuck. Gears 1-6 shift fine. But I'm totally and 100% locked out of reverse all of a sudden. Nothing blew up, no problems that I know of that would have indicated an impending failure.

- Tried restarting the car multiple times.
- Tried rowing the gears while stationary.
- Tried shifting with car off.

FWIW I did have a skip shift eliminator installed three weeks ago. But the skip shift still works (wife helped push car back out of driveway, I parked somewhere where I don't need reverse). And I never had any reverse lockout including the day of the install. This tells me that the shop did not accidentally install the eliminator on the wrong connector. Otherwise they wouldn't have been able to back out the car from the shop!

I've done about 1000 miles since the install, including three track days. In fact I just got home from the track tonight. Car drove fine, no mechanical issue until I got home. And yes, I was able to reverse at the track and several times on the way home.

Anyone got any advice of what to do or what to check? Some ideas I'd like to try:

- Disconnect and reconnect battery (where is it located?)
- Fuse check for the solenoid (anyone know which it may be?)
- Jack up the car where it's parked in a public lot and inspect the solenoid, and try to remove skip shift eliminator (hard to reach though)
- Bring to dealer as is?

Thanks for any help!
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Car is otherwise 100% bone stock aside from camber plates.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #3
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I had exactly the same problem with mine about a year ago.

I removed my skip-shift and the problem never returned.

Mine was doing it sporadically for about a month before I pulled the bypass.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:47 PM   #4
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Fascinating. So it appears they are not totally separate solenoids.. or perhaps they share an electrical circuit.

It would be great to see the electrical diagram to know for sure.

Sounds like a trip back to my shop is in order. I had them do it in the first place because I couldn't get the plugs undone with my hands in that tight space.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
So this happened to me about a month ago, really freaked me out. I was by myself and in a spot that was on an incline so literally the only way for me to get my car out of there was in reverse. I was kind of panicked but could tell that it wasn't 100% locked out, it just really didn't want to go into reverse, so I basically just jammed it in there and it worked haha once I got home I rowed through all the gears a couple times and reverse didn't give me any trouble. Thankfully it hasn't happened again.

FYI I do not have the skip shift eliminator installed.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #6
Blazin40s

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
I don't know if the 6th gen trans is the same as a T56 in the 4th gens when it comes to the solenoids, but you can "overpower" the solenoid and get it into reverse with enough effort.
Blazin40s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Brought it into the dealer this morning (without needing reverse!). Made a video of the problem. Service advisor comes out and pops it into gear. Now I have no problems! I look like a fool, but the gearbox really was stuck for several hours while I tried.

Will keep an eye on it to see if it happens again.

FWIW I confirmed it isn't a reverse lockout problem (before dealer magically fixed it). I was in fact able to get past the detent. It was the forward motion into gear that was stuck.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #8
MarkC

Drives: 2018 HBM 2SS/1LE
This is my 4th car with the 6-speed manual, they've all occasionally had the same issue. My SS has only done it once in the 3.5 months I've had it, but the others seemed to do it about once a month.

I always park in 1st gear in my garage, but I need to put it into reverse to get out. Whenever the shifter refuses to go forward into reverse I just row through a few of the other gears and it will then go right in.

I've never considered it anything other than a minor inconvenience, but it only happens once a month, if that. If rowing through the gears doesn't fix it, or if it starts happening more frequently I'd be taking it in for service.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:04 PM   #9
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Yeah, I definitely understand that, especially when cold. I do the rowing too. But this time it was REALLY stuck. Strange.