Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
knitetrain05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary Edi
Its what I do

This is the approach I take. With the above said, I could not agree more. , compounded with the porter cable through different cuts,

1. wash the car very thoroughly getting all bugs and road tar crap off first

2. strip all wax off.

3. Used a Clay bar,

4. Used a porter cable with compound's of various cuts to remove swirl Marks and light scratch's

5. Use a high grade polish to bring out the shine with a porter cable

5. Then use a wax or some thing of your choice to seal all this work in. Two coats with a porter cable.

This is a lot of work. but it is the correct way of doing this and the results speak for them self's. Do this to your car boyz, and your jaw will drop.

Here is mine a 45th SS (Dark Color here)

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1300x975. This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1300x975.

knitetrain05 View Public Profile Send a private message to knitetrain05 Find More Posts by knitetrain05 Add knitetrain05 to Your Contacts
knitetrain05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Looks great.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
really nice!

yeah that pic was last summer right?? this winter is hard on cars

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Nice work, the car looks great!!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitetrain05 View Post
1. wash the car very thoroughly getting all bugs and road tar crap off first

2. strip all wax off.

3. Used a Clay bar,

4. Used a porter cable with compound's of various cuts to remove swirl Marks and light scratch's

5. Use a high grade polish to bring out the shine with a porter cable

5. Then use a wax or some thing of your choice to seal all this work in. Two coats with a porter cable.

This is a lot of work. but it is the correct way of doing this and the results speak for them self's. Do this to your car boyz, and your jaw will drop.
Not trying to knock your work here or be confrontational (your car does look great) however there are a few inconsistencies that might confuse the new detailers out there with your technique:

2 & 3. Striping wax & Clay Bar- You can properly strip during your wash process using Blue Dawn Dish soap (only as a striper though, not as a regular wash routine) or APC in your regular wash. Both techniques will break down the wax on your surface and prep it for polishing. Also, once you clay, you're definitely striping what's left after the wash I mentioned. This might save some "steps" as you've defined above.

4 & 5 - Compounds and polish - If you're using PC, you're likely using a polish of some type and not a compound. Compounds tend to be VERY aggressive and really shouldn't be used for minor swirls. Most folks around here like to use a 2 stage polish: 1 stage more aggressive for really bad swirls 2 stage less aggressive to "pearl" your surface to fine shine.

6. Wax and sealant are different products. After you've polished your surface to your liking, you should seal it with a sealant and as you said 2 coats work great.

After your coat of sealant, then wax. Please don't ask "what's the best wax?" There are many and it's main job is to protect everything else beneath it from your clear coat to your sealant.

Maintaining this will require a proper wash technique. Use a two bucket system with a PH balanced shampoo such as Adams (my personal favorite) and all of that work should last you a while depending on your driving and storing habits.

Good luck and hope that helps clear up some of the inconsistencies.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSSDiver View Post
Not trying to knock your work here or be confrontational (your car does look great) however there are a few inconsistencies that might confuse the new detailers out there with your technique:

2 & 3. Striping wax & Clay Bar- You can properly strip during your wash process using Blue Dawn Dish soap (only as a striper though, not as a regular wash routine) or APC in your regular wash. Both techniques will break down the wax on your surface and prep it for polishing. Also, once you clay, you're definitely striping what's left after the wash I mentioned. This might save some "steps" as you've defined above.

4 & 5 - Compounds and polish - If you're using PC, you're likely using a polish of some type and not a compound. Compounds tend to be VERY aggressive and really shouldn't be used for minor swirls. Most folks around here like to use a 2 stage polish: 1 stage more aggressive for really bad swirls 2 stage less aggressive to "pearl" your surface to fine shine.

6. Wax and sealant are different products. After you've polished your surface to your liking, you should seal it with a sealant and as you said 2 coats work great.

After your coat of sealant, then wax. Please don't ask "what's the best wax?" There are many and it's main job is to protect everything else beneath it from your clear coat to your sealant.

Maintaining this will require a proper wash technique. Use a two bucket system with a PH balanced shampoo such as Adams (my personal favorite) and all of that work should last you a while depending on your driving and storing habits.

Idk, FG400 and M101 are both compounds I use all the time with my PC. Compound and polish is a really arbitrary distinction IMO.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Compound and polish is a really arbitrary distinction IMO.
1000% truth.

This is one of the things in this industry that is a major source of confusion for many people.

Compounds are generally described as "aggressive" polishes, but there's no one-size-fits-all answer to distinguish between the two.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
gmen09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Center caps on your wheels look really cool, paint looks great too
Old 02-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
knitetrain05
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSSDiver View Post

No that's cool. I was just keeping it very basic. Your right and agree with you. Thanks for explaining it in more detail to those that are less familiar with the correct process. I always like to say. THERE IS YOUR WAY, THERE IS MY WAY, AND THEN THERE IS THE WRONG WAY
Old 02-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
knitetrain05
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=gmen09;7403968]Center caps on your wheels look really cool, paint looks great too

Thank you.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #11
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Idk, FG400 and M101 are both compounds I use all the time with my PC. Compound and polish is a really arbitrary distinction IMO.
I hear ya, but in the context as originally written, it gave me the impression that it was two distinct processes. For me "polishing" is the whole process of polishing out the swirls. 2 steps, 3 steps, what ever it takes to get the swirls out with the act of polishing.

Hope that clears up that one point.