Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Redline 2LT if Chevrolet built theme
Yes, I would love one 15 26.32%
No, the 2LT is fine the way it is 6 10.53%
No, Just get a SS 33 57.89%
No, Just get a ZL1 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
ardailsmith

Drives: 2012 2LT LFX A6 RS Black on Black
Question Would you buy a Redline edition 2LT if GM built them?

Should Chevrolet revive the Redline Team to build a Redline 2LT to compete with the Mustang V6 Sport.

Ford offers a Sport package option on there V6 Mustang, Chevrolet could do the same thing for the 2LT.

LFX power plant puts out 323HP give it a simple HP bump with a CAI and new exhaust system. Add a magnetic suspension system similar to the one in the ZL1. Upgrade the brakes using the Cadillac V series.

I don't need or want all the extra HP that you get from the SS that's why I did not get one. I don't care about 1/4 mile times, When I get in my car I plan on driving further than a 1/4 mile. I don't do track days, if I did I would get a ZL1. I want a sports car for the real world something that would be fun to drive to Vegas or on the local back roads with a lot of lefts and rights, for me that is the 2LT.

If Chevrolet built a Redline 2LT I would buy it, would you?
Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
I'm betting the cost of the mag ride alone would push the price of a 2lt past a 1ss
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardailsmith View Post
Should Chevrolet revive the Redline Team to build a Redline 2LT to compete with the Mustang V6 Sport.

Ford offers a Sport package option on there V6 Mustang, Chevrolet could do the same thing for the 2LT.

LFX power plant puts out 323HP give it a simple HP bump with a CAI and new exhaust system. Add a magnetic suspension system similar to the one in the ZL1. Upgrade the brakes using the Cadillac V series.

I don't need or want all the extra HP that you get from the SS that's why I did not get one. I don't care about 1/4 mile times, When I get in my car I plan on driving further than a 1/4 mile. I don't do track days, if I did I would get a ZL1. I want a sports car for the real world something that would be fun to drive to Vegas or on the local back roads with a lot of lefts and rights, for me that is the 2LT.

If Chevrolet built a Redline 2LT I would buy it, would you?
The Underlined contradicts the Bolded. You want a car that has slightly more power, but don't plan on using it... You want a car that handles better but you don't plan on using it… You want a car that brakes better but don't plan on using it.

MRSC on a V6 but not the SS with 1LE makes no sense. If Chevy made a package like this you would more than likely get the stuff that is on the 1LE.

You want a 2LT with 1LE parts...
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
lurker

Drives: 2013 Challenger SXT Redline
Quote:
...Ford offers a Sport package option on there V6 Mustang, Chevrolet could do the same thing for the 2LT.
Unless something's changed, they call that the Performance Package on the Mustang. There's no 'sport' Mustang. Fusion Sport, Edge Sport, etc. etc.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
CAMAROZL1

Drives: Point A to B Car until ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
The Underlined contradicts the Bolded. You want a car that has slightly more power, but don't plan on using it... You want a car that handles better but you don't plan on using it… You want a car that brakes better but don't plan on using it.

MRSC on a V6 but not the SS with 1LE makes no sense. If Chevy made a package like this you would more than likely get the stuff that is on the 1LE.

Also: There's not enough time to merit 1LE V6 in this lifecycle. You're better off saving up for the 6th Gen Camaro. The reduced weight in that generation alone will make the Camaro handle much better!

Just be patient

Last edited by CAMAROZL1; 08-26-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Grammer (dang it!)
CAMAROZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
The Redline Series of cars was Saturns equivalent of the SS series. Like the Cobalt SS and the Saturn Ion Redline were direct equivalent to each other. So in basically, the Camaro SS is the same thing you would get if they did a Redline version.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:27 AM   #7
ardailsmith

Drives: 2012 2LT LFX A6 RS Black on Black
Quote:

I'm talking about adding maybe at the most 60HP to 323HP making it 383HP that is still 43 horses less than a stock SS. I would like better handling and braking when I'm on curvy back roads whats wrong with that. You make it sound like every SS sees track time, somehow I doubt that. I bet the majority of SS never see drag strip or a closed course.

In the real world your average speed from Edmonton to Medicine Hat would be the same as mine. I'm sure you could push your car up to its 150MPH limiter but the real world (Mounties) wont let you hold it there long-enough to make a difference. Plus you will have to stop for fuel before I do.

The things I asked for I will use, just not on the track. To me the difference between 323HP and 426HP only matters on the track.

To put it in to perspective, stock SS 0-60 5.2sec stock 2LT 0-60 6.0sec that's real world.

My 1992 300ZX TT has MRSC
Old 08-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #8
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I would yes
Old 08-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
I'm talking about adding maybe at the most 60HP to 323HP making it 383HP that is still 43 horses less than a stock SS. I would like better handling and braking when I'm on curvy back roads whats wrong with that. You make it sound like every SS sees track time, somehow I doubt that. I bet the majority of SS never see drag strip or a closed course.

In the real world your average speed from Edmonton to Medicine Hat would be the same as mine. I'm sure you could push your car up to its 150MPH limiter but the real world (Mounties) wont let you hold it there long-enough to make a difference. Plus you will have to stop for fuel before I do.

The things I asked for I will use, just not on the track. To me the difference between 323HP and 426HP only matters on the track.

To put it in to perspective, stock SS 0-60 5.2sec stock 2LT 0-60 6.0sec that's real world.

My 1992 300ZX TT has MRSC
My point was that all of that stuff you want, will likely never happen because the V6 is not considered a performance model oriented model by GM. This is not SS vs V6 this is reality vs fantasy. I would love to see GM give you some of this stuff. However, your requests, 60 horsepower over stock and BWI Magnaride, make no sense to GM.

They would have to so R&D, months of testing and just for a car that maybe 5% of people shopping for a Camaro would buy. They are making the 1LE-SS because they know it will sell.

Also 0-100 is where you should be looking as its a better measure of performance, 0-60 is about traction....

SS - 10.5
V6 - 15.9

None of what I said is meant to insult the V6. It's a good car, it's just not viable as a performance model, as of today with the Camaro's weight. Also that 60 horsepower would make the V6 have 17 less than an Automatic SS. In other words you wouldn't need the SS due to the power to weight ratio the V6 would now have. Just to clarify I mean the automatic SS.

Last edited by The IOM Ninja; 08-27-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Quote:
My point was that all of that stuff you want, will likely never happen because the V6 is not considered a performance model oriented model by GM. This is not SS vs V6 this is reality vs fantasy. I would love to see GM give you some of this stuff. However, your requests, 60 horsepower over stock and BWI Magnaride, make no sense to GM.

They would have to so R&D, months of testing and just for a car that maybe 5% of people shopping for a Camaro would buy. They are making the 1LE-SS because they know it will sell.

Also 0-100 is where you should be looking as its a better measure of performance, 0-60 is about traction....

SS - 10.5
V6 - 15.9

None of what I said is meant to insult the V6. It's a good car, it's just not viable as a performance model, as of today with the Camaro's weight. Also that 60 horsepower would make the V6 have 17 less than an Automatic SS. In other words you wouldn't need the SS due to the power to weight ratio the V6 would now have.
Well said.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
I'll say it again. Why do you want a Saturn badge on your Camaro. Next you'll want them to make a V-Tec engine.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
I'll say it again. Why do you want a Saturn badge on your Camaro. Next you'll want them to make a V-Tec engine.
Don't both the LLT and LFX have Variable Valve Timing?
Old 08-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
I think if the V6 model weighed significantly less than an SS, then this MIGHT be a good idea.

With all of the things you're asking for, that will push the price of a 2LT way beyond an SS model .

Now, if you had a V6 that weighed significantly less than an SS, with MRC and an HP bump, that could be a fun car. But until the 6th gen arrives, I really don't think you're going to get that.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Quote:

SS - 10.5
V6 - 15.9

None of what I said is meant to insult the V6. It's a good car, it's just not viable as a performance model, as of today with the Camaro's weight. Also that 60 horsepower would make the V6 have 17 less than an Automatic SS. In other words you wouldn't need the SS due to the power to weight ratio the V6 would now have. Just to clarify I mean the automatic SS.

As said...well said.

I think my 2LT handles great for the street. It has plenty of power for even driving spirited on the street. The handling is still sporty, but it's not too harsh. I'm not trying to take corners at 1g.

You could hit up Pedders or other reputable suspension vendor and improve on it and then you'll have what your asking for.