Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
austinscott
GM is in my blood..

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS LS3
APEX Air Scoop & Washer relocate Install W/pics

we had a chance to install our Apex scoop and washer relocation kit the other day & we took a bunch of photos along the way.
Figured I would post them up for everyone enjoyment

This thing is stout. Thicker steel that what you find on my 68 Chevy pickup... I was impressed!
Love the fact that the scoop already has the stamped out holes for the tank mount... Nice touch

Washer kit comes compete with everything you need to do the install, except the buck to drain your stock tank.

Wheel well cover was truly easy to remove, just a few plastic clips, 2-7mm bolts & 3-T20 screws...

3 bolts, and a hose plug... and the washer tank comes right out. we just used a 1/4" socket extension to plug the hose. Worked like a charm

This is the only piece on the car that has to be modified.

Removed the horn mounting bolt & replaced it with the supplied longer stainless bolt. (Bolt in the middle of the picture)

using one of the old washer tank bolts you can see were the 2nd mounting bolt for the scoop is attached.

The first vertical cut we made was as instructed, but we felt like it was a bit to tight, so we trimmed it a little bit more than in this picture.
(Picture shows the cut as per the instructions).

Here is how our scoop ended up sitting against the front grill. We are going to make a few adjustment here in the next week or so.
This tight area made the inner mounting bolt alignment a bit tricky & that is why you see me in a few of the above pictures sitting under the car pushing the scoop up while attempting to thread the bolt in.

Ok its mounted and in,

we decided to mount the filler in the air-box because it was easy & out of the way. We didn't even use half of the supplied hose.
Apex gives you enough hose to pretty much mount the filler wherever you want on the drivers side of the engine bay.

We over filled the tank to see if we had any leaks.. Nope everything is sealed up tight, even the large tank cap. The cap has a rubber inner liner and it worked perfect.
NOTE: filling the tank was a bit slow, this was due to the tank venting and filling thru the same hose. If we had cracked the tank cap it would of filled much faster.

All in all this install took us about and hour, and was an easy and fun mod.....

Scott

Last edited by austinscott; 01-05-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
austinscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Great post. Ive been considering this mod. Before after comparisons?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
austinscott
GM is in my blood..

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Great post. Ive been considering this mod. Before after comparisons?
Truly hard to tell. The outside air temps have been really cold, so the car is running sweet!
Cant honestly tell if the scoop is making the difference or just the ambient temps outside. I'm pretty sure its a combo of them both.
But what I can tell you is my BUTT DYNO is truly impressed so far

Scott
Old 01-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
ripcard
INJACC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/IO 6M
Is your cold air intake installed correctly? Seems to me the base of the housing should sit down on the body/rail with the vertical metal bracket/tab straddling the crease in the body/rail. I wouldn't expect a gap at the bottom of the cai. Looks like it is "standing off" a little.
Pedders Xa Coilovers & Sways w/Fe4, Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms & Tie Rods, Forgestar CF5s, ZL1 Brakes, 1LE 3.91 Diff, Pedders Cradle Bushings, MGW STS, BTR Stage II Cam, Fluidampr U/D Pulley, Performance Redline Dyno Tune, CAI & Apex Scoop, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers w/HF Cats, Magnaflow 3" Cat Back, RX Catch Can, VMax TB, Billet Tunnel Brace, SRP Pedals, Skip Shift, Seibon CF Hood & ST Trunk, 1LE Splitter, ZL1 Rockers & Diffuser, Heritage Grill, F & R Sparks "SS" badges, Billet Door Handles, Tint, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Side Markers, BlackVue dash cam and my favourite accessory...Litho #163.
ripcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
austinscott
GM is in my blood..

I'm not sure, the CAI was installed on the car when I bought it. Never thought about finding the install instruction and double checking....
I'll look into it.. just figured this was the K&N way of making it and that's why no one really likes them, because they down seal very well.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
austinscott
GM is in my blood..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcard View Post
Is your cold air intake installed correctly? Seems to me the base of the housing should sit down on the body/rail with the vertical metal bracket/tab straddling the crease in the body/rail. I wouldn't expect a gap at the bottom of the cai. Looks like it is "standing off" a little.
thanks for the eye...
After looking over the instructions.. online it seems the PO left off the lower section of the gasket.
He must of installed it before putting on the gasket, then said Owell... Some people.....

in the images below, you can clearly see the lower section of the gasket that is not on my CAI...

I guess I have to get with K&N and get a replacement gasket....

Scott
Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
I bought one of these almost 2 years ago and still haven't installed it. I really MUST knock this out this spring.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Interesting, the plastic piece you have to cut away to let air in threw the lower grill is different on yours that it was on mine. Mine wrapped under. Your seems flat across.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #9
ripcard
INJACC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/IO 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinscott View Post
...I guess I have to get with K&N and get a replacement gasket....

Scott
Just go to an automotive store and pick up a gasket. Probably much faster and cheaper. It's probably a standard type of trunk, door or hatch bulb seal that comes by the foot.
Pedders Xa Coilovers & Sways w/Fe4, Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms & Tie Rods, Forgestar CF5s, ZL1 Brakes, 1LE 3.91 Diff, Pedders Cradle Bushings, MGW STS, BTR Stage II Cam, Fluidampr U/D Pulley, Performance Redline Dyno Tune, CAI & Apex Scoop, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers w/HF Cats, Magnaflow 3" Cat Back, RX Catch Can, VMax TB, Billet Tunnel Brace, SRP Pedals, Skip Shift, Seibon CF Hood & ST Trunk, 1LE Splitter, ZL1 Rockers & Diffuser, Heritage Grill, F & R Sparks "SS" badges, Billet Door Handles, Tint, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Side Markers, BlackVue dash cam and my favourite accessory...Litho #163.
ripcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinscott View Post
we had a chance to install our Apex scoop and washer relocation kit the other day & we took a bunch of photos along the way.
Figured I would post them up for everyone enjoyment

This thing is stout. Thicker steel that what you find on my 68 Chevy pickup... I was impressed!
Love the fact that the scoop already has the stamped out holes for the tank mount... Nice touch

Washer kit comes compete with everything you need to do the install, except the buck to drain your stock tank.

Wheel well cover was truly easy to remove, just a few plastic clips, 2-7mm bolts & 3-T20 screws...

3 bolts, and a hose plug... and the washer tank comes right out. we just used a 1/4" socket extension to plug the hose. Worked like a charm

This is the only piece on the car that has to be modified.

Removed the horn mounting bolt & replaced it with the supplied longer stainless bolt. (Bolt in the middle of the picture)

using one of the old washer tank bolts you can see were the 2nd mounting bolt for the scoop is attached.

The first vertical cut we made was as instructed, but we felt like it was a bit to tight, so we trimmed it a little bit more than in this picture.
(Picture shows the cut as per the instructions).

Here is how our scoop ended up sitting against the front grill. We are going to make a few adjustment here in the next week or so.
This tight area made the inner mounting bolt alignment a bit tricky & that is why you see me in a few of the above pictures sitting under the car pushing the scoop up while attempting to thread the bolt in.

Ok its mounted and in,

we decided to mount the filler in the air-box because it was easy & out of the way. We didn't even use half of the supplied hose.
Apex gives you enough hose to pretty much mount the filler wherever you want on the drivers side of the engine bay.

We over filled the tank to see if we had any leaks.. Nope everything is sealed up tight, even the large tank cap. The cap has a rubber inner liner and it worked perfect.
NOTE: filling the tank was a bit slow, this was due to the tank venting and filling thru the same hose. If we had cracked the tank cap it would of filled much faster.

All in all this install took us about and hour, and was an easy and fun mod.....

Scott
Thank you for your order and the great post Scott. Glad you are happy with the scoop and washer tank package.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
WiredAVS

Drives: '21 TRx '22 ZLe
Chase ETA on 14 Scoop

Recaro's, Custom Autometer Gauges, Hotchkis 1" Lowering Coils, CAi Intake, Elite Catch Can's, 1 7/8" StainlessWorks LT's w/Hi Flo Cat's mated to factory NPP Exhaust, 160* Thermo, NightFury Cam, 2.9l Whipple on Meth @ 11lbs, JoeGibbs LS30 in the CrankCase, Built by Nick, Steven, and Tuned By Shawn at Lethal Racing....
WiredAVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredAVS View Post
Chase ETA on 14 Scoop
Wish I had one to give you. We have not even had a chance to get started on it yet.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #13
elarson5757
Obsessed and Loving It...

Drives: 2013 1LE-SS
Man I just ordered this and now that I see the area it mounts better I wonder if my ACS T3/S ports will clear it when installed....
elarson5757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #14
KalCorp
Space Coast Camaros

Drives: 2012 Camaro Vert
Thanks for the 101. I have the same parts and need to install it soon also :-)
KalCorp is offline   Reply With Quote