Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-04-2016, 01:38 AM   #43
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
The PDIM for the 6th gen is USB 2.0. On the 5th gen it was USB 1.1. The development lifecycle on infotainment at GM is slower than a snails pace.

When I had a full 32gb Fit in my 5th gen, it took about 10 mins to index any time the file count changed. If I left it in, it took about 30 seconds to start.

With the USB 2.0 interface, it should index on first use within 3 mins and unchanged startups should be ready in under 10 secs.

Since this is USB 2.0, it should be able to go all the way up to 2TB on FAT. My concern is in whether this PDIM is slowed down by directory count like the 5th gen was (dumping everything into genre folders was much faster than using artist folders). I would like to keep artist folders if it doesn't cost me a speed hit on boot up.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:42 AM   #44
JaxChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Also anyone know anything about accessing Android folders on a PC? I thought it would be easy, but so far not so much.
System folders? You need to install ADB first and root your phone. This will wipe it though, so make sure you have everything backed up with something like Titanium Backup first. Once you've rooted, you can grant permission to read the system and protected app folders when you are connected to your PC. It is not in developer options anymore.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #45
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
System folders? You need to install ADB first and root your phone. This will wipe it though, so make sure you have everything backed up with something like Titanium Backup first. Once you've rooted, you can grant permission to read the system and protected app folders when you are connected to your PC. It is not in developer options anymore.
No just storage folders so I can build a playlist there. C# does not longer seesthe Android folders as a normal drive. They used to I think, but Android changed someting along the way.

I suppose I need some sort of access package.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #46
Fraxum

Quote:
The PDIM for the 6th gen is USB 2.0. On the 5th gen it was USB 1.1. The development lifecycle on infotainment at GM is slower than a snails pace.

When I had a full 32gb Fit in my 5th gen, it took about 10 mins to index any time the file count changed. If I left it in, it took about 30 seconds to start.

With the USB 2.0 interface, it should index on first use within 3 mins and unchanged startups should be ready in under 10 secs.

Since this is USB 2.0, it should be able to go all the way up to 2TB on FAT. My concern is in whether this PDIM is slowed down by directory count like the 5th gen was (dumping everything into genre folders was much faster than using artist folders). I would like to keep artist folders if it doesn't cost me a speed hit on boot up.
CarPlaylist arranges things by artist folders now, maybe using ITunes playlists to pick songs and then arrange by Genres folder should be an option?

The advantage of using USB 3.0 drives with CPL is the building of a big USB goes much faster, assuming of course the drive is plugged into a 3.0 port.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #47
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Not sure if the car USB interface is 3.0, but given that it does not support NTFS I doubt it. Come on Chevy!
According to the owners manual for the infotainment system, NTFS is supported. I even believe that's what I'm using now on my stick.

Quote:

I had a problem with my initial 2.0 stick having major lag (like 5+ secs) when changing tracks on my big rock playlist (500+ songs). I switched to a new 3.0 stick and now that lag is down to less than 2 seconds. Not sure why the drop unless it has something to do with a buffer being bigger on the new stick.

Quote:

The advantage of using USB 3.0 drives with CPL is the building of a big USB goes much faster, assuming of course the drive is plugged into a 3.0 port.
See above, my 3.0 stick is performing much better than my older 2.0 stick (which was also much smaller in storage size, 2GB vs 32GB for the new 3.0). Go figure.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #48
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
According to the owners manual for the infotainment system, NTFS is supported. I even believe that's what I'm using now on my stick.
Hmm, I did try NTFS and no go. But I will try again.

But CarPlaylist sull needs to support FAT32 as many cars are stuck on this format. I have the first 2SS Mylink Android Auto flash and it works fine on my car, but that my car has Nav and I have a nice USB music drive, I see little need for it. Is there a later Mylink flash?
Old 09-04-2016, 11:14 PM   #49
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Hmm, I did try NTFS and no go. But I will try again.

But CarPlaylist sull needs to support FAT32 as many cars are stuck on this format. I have the first 2SS Mylink Android Auto flash and it works fine on my car, but that my car has Nav and I have a nice USB music drive, I see little need for it. Is there a later Mylink flash?
Yea FAT32 is widely supported. I was surprised to read it would work with NTFS.

Not sure on the 16s. Mine is a 17 and so far no updates for it I've head.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:47 AM   #50
JaxChris

Ok, you're referring to removal of USB mass storage support, not system encryption.

By default, USB file transfer is handled by MTP, which only grants exclusive access to one item at a time, in this case the OS of the PC.

If you're on Win10, you likely cannot have a MTP or PTP device directly accessed by an unsigned application without having it mounted as a drive volume. This would require a virtual host driver that intercepts the connection of MTP/PTP devices and allows you to attach them to a virtual UMS device with a drive letter assigned.

Think of it like having an ISO file on your PC. You can't do much with the file, but when you stick it into a virtual drive, you can access the contents with not only the OS but also other applications can see the drive index.

I will try formatting with NTFS and sticking a small sample of music on my 64gb Fit to see if it does indeed read NTFS on the '16. Since the PDIM is driven by the headunit and the headunit design didn't change (only the HMI changed between '16 & '17), the USB support of both years should be the same.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #51
Camarotti

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT RS
I have had no issue with this USB:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Camarotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:39 AM   #52
JaxChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarotti View Post
I have the 64GB version of that same model. I guess I should upgrade to the 128GB and just call it a day instead of trying to make my collection smaller.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:41 PM   #53
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarotti View Post
Wow that tiny? Amazing. no need for a usb extension. I am always worried i woud break mine by closing the lid.

I think I will get on and try NTFS. Work has been crazy even spilling over to the weekends.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #54
Fraxum

Quote:
Ok, you're referring to removal of USB mass storage support, not system encryption.

By default, USB file transfer is handled by MTP, which only grants exclusive access to one item at a time, in this case the OS of the PC.

If you're on Win10, you likely cannot have a MTP or PTP device directly accessed by an unsigned application without having it mounted as a drive volume. This would require a virtual host driver that intercepts the connection of MTP/PTP devices and allows you to attach them to a virtual UMS device with a drive letter assigned.

Think of it like having an ISO file on your PC. You can't do much with the file, but when you stick it into a virtual drive, you can access the contents with not only the OS but also other applications can see the drive index.

I will try formatting with NTFS and sticking a small sample of music on my 64gb Fit to see if it does indeed read NTFS on the '16. Since the PDIM is driven by the headunit and the headunit design didn't change (only the HMI changed between '16 & '17), the USB support of both years should be the same.
Thanks, I will work on this. Odd that I can access the drive in explorer but not from C#.

Last edited by Fraxum; 09-10-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #55
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
NTFS does work as you said! I will change CarPlaylist to format with NTFS as well as Fat32. But I will keep the NTFS warning just in case and explain the warning a bit more. If things go well for CPL I will start keeping track of what different cars support.

I also am using the 64 gig version of the tiny USB drive. I now have more room in the tiny console compartment!

Is the tiny USB a mod for my build thread?
Old 09-15-2016, 09:12 AM   #56
Camarotti

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
I have the 64GB version of that same model. I guess I should upgrade to the 128GB and just call it a day instead of trying to make my collection smaller.

Yes JaxChris, you never know when you may need some new theme music
Camarotti is offline   Reply With Quote