Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #15
Sheriff37
Do it for Dale

Drives: '16 NFGray V6 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
( i run the s-type)
How are you liking the S-Type? I've been debating on buying it because I've been left wanting more with the LGX exhaust sound, it's just not deep enough for me (I know I'm driving a V6, but I can't help but want to experience exhaust tones similar to those of a V8). How does it sound at idle or when you really get on the throttle?
Sheriff37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #16
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Here is some light throttle acceleration of my setup.
The in cabin sound tube is disconnected on my car as well.
https://youtu.be/BP-k-G9vLWk

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #17
_MerF_

Drives: 2017 1LT A8 (SIM)
I posted a couple quick vids of my muffler delete here:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501504

2017 1LT (A8): 30% tint - Tinted taillights - Blackened bowties - Muffler delete
_MerF_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #18
Sheriff37
Do it for Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
Here is some light throttle acceleration of my setup.
The in cabin sound tube is disconnected on my car as well.
https://youtu.be/BP-k-G9vLWk
That sounds really nice, I like how deep it is. Is that with the Borla S-Type? Also I saw your posts on the Overkill Supercharger forum, have you been enjoying it?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #19
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff37 View Post
How are you liking the S-Type? I've been debating on buying it because I've been left wanting more with the LGX exhaust sound, it's just not deep enough for me (I know I'm driving a V6, but I can't help but want to experience exhaust tones similar to those of a V8). How does it sound at idle or when you really get on the throttle?
Absolutely love it. Growing up having a car make the most noise was the in thing... as I've gone through a few cars, I've started to adopt the mindset of "the car shouldn't be louder than its capable".

not to say, I prefer quiet cars... not in the least. any car I drive is required to be heard. but the s-type is a good choice for me. the atak is good too, but once I've heard it, I discerned that in person, the sound difference was minimal between the two. so the S-type is good.

at idle and start up, its a decent bit louder and more pronounced than stock.

I don't really do revving in park or neutral. just sounds weak on most cars to me. I mean if you wanna add exhaust just to go to a parking lot and listen to it at idle....by all means go ahead. but most people want exhaust for a car that's being driven, or someone is making it move. some people do the idle vids and that's all we ever hear or see of their exhaust, but anyone knows that when the engine has a load on it, a more solid and full sound comes out. same as if you walk around normally and grunt... its gonna be more quiet than a grunt while having 300-400lbs on a barbell across your back.

also at speed, an engine gives you ALL the sound. meaning the good and the bad. a lot of the raspy high pitched stuff you don't hear at idle and low rpm revs. that's why about 80% of youtube vids are misleading. people hear the idle (which almost all cars sound deeper at idle with an aftermarket or hacked up exhaust) and think the entire band is gonna be like idle just louder. not so.

i can vouch all the way thru the band, accelerating, the sound is awesome to me. At AutoX I've had my car driven twice, and hearing it outside the car is the same. awesome. its not so loud to where people are looking at you like, "ok is something else gonna happen or is that it?" ( we all know the "sounds like 5000 rpm and only doing 15-25 mph" some sport compacts end up doing) and its def louder than stock by a great deal. but not loud to the point that it command attention the performance of a v6 cant live up to. I have had a few ask, if I have engine work done, cause the exhaust LOOKS stock. but its just the axlebacks. all cats, valves, etc are still there.

driving on highways....ZERO drone. just did a 10 hour down, and 8.5 hour back trip to NC a couple of weeks ago. no complaints from me or the wife.
but even she encouraged me to pass a few trucks and cars, cause the exhaust "sounds badass".

only reason id honestly ever change it, is if I was trading the car in and to go back to stock. no plans for that at all though.

I'm gonna be realistic with ya though.... if you want exhaust tones of v8, get one. the same way the flat plan crank GT350 is a v8, and sounds a hell of a lot different than the coyote 5.0 in the GT. you are NOT gonna get a DOHC v6 to sound anywhere near a OHV v8. anyone who says theirs does that....run. cause the sh*t would def be above shoe level at that point. a non car guy may say it sounds like a v8 and be surprised its a v6, but anyone whos into cars can and will tell the difference.

the DOHC v6 cars with an exhaust change, be it MagnaFlow, borla, corsa, flowmaster, etc.... will gain some bass, but the design of the engine will always dictate a more exotic sound than the more raw thump sound of a v8. just being honest.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:27 AM   #20
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff37 View Post
That sounds really nice, I like how deep it is. Is that with the Borla S-Type? Also I saw your posts on the Overkill Supercharger forum, have you been enjoying it?
I actually have the MBPR black race series cat back exhaust. Deleted the secondary cats deletes the mufflers gives you j -pipes and a x pipe 3" back from primary cats. It sounds pretty insane its really tame at anything under 2k RPM but when you open it up HOLY CRAP... Its sounds amazing.

As for the supercharger its a whole new car can't wait to get to the track. keep following the supercharger thread there will be some new stuff coming soon.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #21
Sheriff37
Do it for Dale

Quote:
not to say, I prefer quiet cars... not in the least. any car I drive is required to be heard. but the s-type is a good choice for me. the atak is good too, but once I've heard it, I discerned that in person, the sound difference was minimal between the two. so the S-type is good.

at idle and start up, its a decent bit louder and more pronounced than stock.
Thanks for that and for the info at the bottom of the post. For awhile I was really leaning towards the ATAK but its a little much for my taste, I feel that the S-Type sounds more refined (I haven't heard it in person though, just borla's videos)

Quote:
I don't really do revving in park or neutral. just sounds weak on most cars to me. I mean if you wanna add exhaust just to go to a parking lot and listen to it at idle....by all means go ahead. but most people want exhaust for a car that's being driven, or someone is making it move.
I agree, but the sound on startup and how it sounds after when it first drops into the 500 rpm idle is pretty important to me. I always enjoyed listening to my car at idle with cutouts (pretty big mistake in the long run, but it was fun while it lasted), it may just be me though haha.

Quote:
I'm gonna be realistic with ya though.... if you want exhaust tones of v8, get one.
I can't tell you how many times I've heard this haha, but for the price of one there was no way I could afford it. If I would've had the money then yes I would have gone straight to the V8, but since I couldn't I want to get as deep as I can with it. I'm well aware that I'll never match the sound of a V8 haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
I actually have the MBPR black race series cat back exhaust.
As for the supercharger its a whole new car can't wait to get to the track. keep following the supercharger thread there will be some new stuff coming soon.
I looked at their exhaust for awhile, I love the sound! I will definitely remain subbed to that thread. Excited to see all of the new info!

And as always, thank y'all for your wisdom!
Old 09-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #22
WhiteLightening

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 RS, 2005 Mustang GT
Has anyone installed high flo primary cats and deleted or replaced the secondary cats with an x pipe or high flo cats as well? Just wondering, I, thinking of installing am x pipe on my car just don't know if it will cause exssive drone or what??
Old 09-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #23
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Nobody will be able to tell you if your custom exhaust will drone. The frequency produced by the exhaust will be very dependent on diameter, length, material, angles it encounters, exhaust pressure, and even temperature. Not to mention any complex internal structures of the muffler.

Too many variables. Supposedly this is why we pay 500 to 2000 on exhaust systems, because they did the r&d to ensure it doesn't drone in the Camaro. Hint, the cheap stuff definitely doesn't seem to r&d for longer than figuring out the mount points.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote