Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-20-2019, 08:32 AM   #463
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
So I was going to make an independent thread about it, but haven't had much time. Long story short with just bolting on Tony's ported throttle body, matched with the Rotofab Intake I was able to make 9whp verified by a Dyno. Some areas were actually more than 9, in the low to mid range.

This was an apples to apples comparison with making the runs at the same inlet air temps and same cool off sessions. I have put probably 50 miles on the new TB and can feel a big difference in take off and roll in throttle.

The LT4 motor heatsoaks so fast with that small blower and it takes a while to get the intake back to ambient temps. I'm at work now so I can't upload the dyno graph at the moment.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #464
Z650HP

Drives: 2019 Black ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by staples87 View Post
So I was going to make an independent thread about it, but haven't had much time. Long story short with just bolting on Tony's ported throttle body, matched with the Rotofab Intake I was able to make 9whp verified by a Dyno. Some areas were actually more than 9, in the low to mid range.

This was an apples to apples comparison with making the runs at the same inlet air temps and same cool off sessions. I have put probably 50 miles on the new TB and can feel a big difference in take off and roll in throttle.

The LT4 motor heatsoaks so fast with that small blower and it takes a while to get the intake back to ambient temps. I'm at work now so I can't upload the dyno graph at the moment.
Thanks for the feedback. Very much looking forward to mine coming this week.
LT4 heat soaking? Not sure where that thinking is coming from but our cars have 11 heat exchangers. The car heat soaks zero. Huh, maybe some of yours are unplugged.
Z650HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:54 AM   #465
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z650HP View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Very much looking forward to mine coming this week.
LT4 heat soaking? Not sure where that thinking is coming from but our cars have 11 heat exchangers. The car heat soaks zero. Huh, maybe some of yours are unplugged.
Haha, meaning on the Dyno they heatsoak. 3 pulls and your car starts to pull timing and lose power. A fan unfortunately can only do so much to "simulate" on the road air flow.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #466
Z650HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by staples87 View Post
Haha, meaning on the Dyno they heatsoak. 3 pulls and your car starts to pull timing and lose power. A fan unfortunately can only do so much to "simulate" on the road air flow.
Oh got ya. No massive amounts of air to suck on like in real world driving. Lol ...... Still I would be shocked to see how much it truly is heat soaking. On all reviews professional and forum members I have read there is no complaints of heat soak. With that said I haven't read to much in regards to heat soak on the dyno.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #467
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
You replied and quoted my post. Was it addressed to you?
I haven't been in your car or experienced what you car is doing. So no real advice to offer. Could be to much of an aggressive port, could be driver error, or maybe its just a lemon of a car and or software problems.
When you say many others is that really the case? No it's not, the fact is you are a minority. One of a few that can be counted on less then one hand. The other hundreds of customers are singing zippy do da still.
Good luck with your car. Sucks when you can't just enjoy it. Its why modding is a dangerous game.
I sometimes wonder as helpful as forums are, if they do more damage then good.
For one thing they definitely hurt your wallet.
I replied and quoted you because Angrybits and I share a problem. As for "many others" not having this issue, go read the countless threads about M6 SS and ZL1's complaining about the lack of throttle response in these cars and how tricky it can be to get the right throttle application while releasing the clutch... It's pages upon pages and new topic after new topic. It's a known issue. So although we may be the minority (I have no idea if that's the case), these are many people who feel the issue in their Gen 6's.

I also read your comments in the Soler thread....you're coming off as a bit of a fanboi of TM. I'm hopeful that Tony can solve my issues. I'm awaiting my 2nd version of his TB. I'm keeping my fingers crossed
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:10 AM   #468
Z650HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
I replied and quoted you because Angrybits and I share a problem. As for "many others" not having this issue, go read the countless threads about M6 SS and ZL1's complaining about the lack of throttle response in these cars and how tricky it can be to get the right throttle application while releasing the clutch... It's pages upon pages and new topic after new topic. It's a known issue. So although we may be the minority (I have no idea if that's the case), these are many people who feel the issue in their Gen 6's.

I also read your comments in the Soler thread....you're coming off as a bit of a fanboi of TM. I'm hopeful that Tony can solve my issues. I'm awaiting my 2nd version of his TB. I'm keeping my fingers crossed
Minority as in your one of a few with a problem with Tony's TB J.A.......lol
No fanboy here just not a kool -aid drinker. Also not going to jump on the wagon just because someone claims one TB is better then the other with zero fact or evidence of it.
I tend to stick with fact and experience and the "countless" people who are happy.
Now stop crying to me its not going to do you any good. I can't fix your car.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #469
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
I never understand why threads about mods for our car go this direction. When more mod options are available for our cars, that’s a good thing. I welcome it. I have a TM TB. Much improved throttle response right out of the box. I am good to go. If someone has better results with a different vendor, good for them. If a vendor promotes his mod as better than the other guy, terrific. Time will tell. Just happy to have more options for our shared hobby.Years ago I had terrible results with a particular mod from a well known manufacturer to my 2005 GTO, one that most everyone else benefitted from. I switched to the same mod from a much smaller and far lesser known manufacturer, only then did I get the results I was looking for. Sometimes stuff breaks, sometimes stuff doesn’t work as advertised, sometimes somebody does build a better mousetrap, but it’s all part of our shared hobby. Don’t know why some of us draw lines in the sand when new mod options become available.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #470
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
I never understand why threads about mods for our car go this direction. When more mod options are available for our cars, that’s a good thing. I welcome it. I have a TM TB. Much improved throttle response right out of the box. I am good to go. If someone has better results with a different vendor, good for them. If a vendor promotes his mod as better than the other guy, terrific. Time will tell. Just happy to have more options for our shared hobby.Years ago I had terrible results with a particular mod from a well known manufacturer to my 2005 GTO, one that most everyone else benefitted from. I switched to the same mod from a much smaller and far lesser known manufacturer, only then did I get the results I was looking for. Sometimes stuff breaks, sometimes stuff doesn’t work as advertised, sometimes somebody does build a better mousetrap, but it’s all part of our shared hobby. Don’t know why some of us draw lines in the sand when new mod options become available.
+1
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:44 PM   #471
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
The problem isn't Tony mamo. Its your car.
Yep, that's what I said.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #472
WhitesnakeSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Installed my Tony Mamo ported throttle body about month ago.
Right off the bat I noticed the tip in of the throttle was much improved. Other words the throttle now matched the right foot and was more snappy to attention. The seat of the pants could feel a little difference but the way she jumped to attention and began into the power curve was what jumps out. It woke her up tremendously.
What I did notice was in launch control it would hesitate slightly before accelerating. Now this was a few days into the install. I emailed Tony and and within a few hours he responded. He was nice and courteous and was willing to help me in any way to make this one small hiccup right. He advised me to give it another week while continuing to launch the car with the same temps and conditions and he felt that the computer would adjust itself and remedy the issue. He sounded confident it would resolve itself and if not a tune in the future would and I would be happy. If after then I wasnt he would make it right with another Tb or a full return.
I told him the damn thing run to good other than that and I didnt wanna mess that up so I would give it a few weeks more.
Well within a week the issue was gone. It did as Tony said and corrected the issue. As a matter of fact is seems to have improved all across the spectrum.
As I said it just runs to damn good and makes the car a blast to drive.
His customer service and return policy makes the extra in price worth it IMO. The increase in throttle response , acceleration and fun factor makes this exactly what Tony says......
It's a game changer !!!

Kudos my friend. That's how I know I made the right choice !

Last edited by WhitesnakeSS; 08-20-2019 at 03:55 PM.
WhitesnakeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:59 PM   #473
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzdadoc View Post
In the time it's taking me to post pics I could have done the whole country's TB's. UGH!!!!
My grey tab will not slide at all!@
Old 07-31-2020, 05:04 AM   #474
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
I've been considering a throttle body. A few lightly used ones just came up locally: Katech, Nick Williams, and one other I can't recall. I have an AWE catback exhaust and Rotofab dry intake. I would assume that any of these ported brands would help with a more linear throttle tip in..? I don't really care about a few extra hp, but the throttle tip in is abrupt. Like a light switch- off (almost stalling), then ON (no in between). This is for a 6th Gen ZL1 6mt. I did want to stick with factory sizing (if possible). I plan to modify the car further, but more modest as opposed to mad power. Just to see... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:50 PM   #475
Wintermute

Drives: 2020 LT1
Has anyone noticed more low RPM decel pops? I'm running the mamo v2, cai intake, and a ported lt2 intake manifold. No check engine lights, no power loss. I'm worried that the low rpm decel pops are a symptom of running lean.