Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #43
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
So, if things are clear...

It's about 5K to do the aero package on a regular ZL1, which is not terrible, but still pretty expensive compared to the total cost of the 1LE package. Benefit is improved handling and appearance, but you paid a lot and still missed out on the suspension. But if you want an A10 better road car with the aero, this is the only choice for now.

R.
You have to remember that when you purchase the ZL1 1LE package for around $7K(?), you are not buying those additional parts (Aero/suspension) on top of a standard ZL1, you are "replacing" them with the 1LE parts. You get the DSSV suspension instead of the Mag ride...and the Mag ride is not cheap by any means. The ZL1 comes with a front and rear spoiler already, so you are replacing those as well. When you buy 1LE parts and add them to your standard ZL1, you still have the original parts left over, so the price is not quite the same.

I don't have an A10, but having driven a Z28 with DSSV for a while, it is just not a good daily driver for me. It's okay for a while...days...weeks...after about a month or a year...I found myself parking the Z28 in the garage for track days and driving the Vette to work everyday instead. I promised my wife if I bought the ZL1, I would not park her in garage, under a car cover...I would drive her and I do, daily 100+ miles a day. The mag ride is awesome for daily in Tour mode. Alot more comfortable than my wife's Volt lol

I just want the look and possibly the Aero benefits of the 1LE. No DSSV for me, I live in the earthquake zone, pot holes, cracks, uneven and wavy roads everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
What about a 30 plus wind or cross wind anyone factor that lol? then add that to 150 or 160 close to 200 mph..

I have had no problems yet but that's short jogs to 160 sustained speeds is usually how metal fatigues..

Honestly on a windy day with the wing and dive planes now it feels like the car is more sensitive being blown around out of its lanes.
I was wondering about winds/cross winds. I live up in the hills and it is like hurricane season for half of the year it seems. Great info, thank you

...I'll still end up doing it though...still saving my pennies lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
One last time, as of 12-12-17 our 2016 2ss and and 2018 ZL1LE, use the same part number for the trunk, our 2016 1LT 2.0T does not use the same part number, as it comes with now holes, we ran the part # by VIN and groups.
Thank you for this

I was going to do it anyways, like like the many other people who already have, but always nice to have more reassurance that everything is going to be alright
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #44
MSMYYC
@maplefed

Drives: 16' MBM 2SS,
I know I am going to be crucified for this.. as I don’t have pictures, and cannot as it is in the shop an hour away from me.. but I had the wing on my trunk, and took it off to go into the shop, and it did bend where the stantions mount to the spoiler. You could not see where it was bent until you pulled the wing off. Imagine if you pulled the spoiler back, standing at the rear license plate, along a flat axis.. it left indentations on the rear most part of the deck lid, near the rear of the two bolts, on both the driver and passenger side mounting pads.

Completely unnoticeable without taking the wing off. But I am convinced it chang d the wing angle, as it pulled the front mounting hole up as well. Will try and get pictures up when I get the car back post Christmas.

The car had seen no higher than 160 mph with the wing on. Car is a 2016, so not the 2018 decklid.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:02 PM   #45
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMYYC View Post
I know I am going to be crucified for this.. as I don’t have pictures, and cannot as it is in the shop an hour away from me.. but I had the wing on my trunk, and took it off to go into the shop, and it did bend where the stantions mount to the spoiler. You could not see where it was bent until you pulled the wing off. Imagine if you pulled the spoiler back, standing at the rear license plate, along a flat axis.. it left indentations on the rear most part of the deck lid, near the rear of the two bolts, on both the driver and passenger side mounting pads.

Completely unnoticeable without taking the wing off. But I am convinced it chang d the wing angle, as it pulled the front mounting hole up as well. Will try and get pictures up when I get the car back post Christmas.

The car had seen no higher than 160 mph with the wing on. Car is a 2016, so not the 2018 decklid.
So you get the prize.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #46
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Thanks for the info! Case closed
At least someone was brave enough to go that fast!
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #47
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Anyone go 160+ in a genuine 1LE and remove the wing for inspection? Maybe they deform slightly too.

Must be a very small change to threaded area that makes a big difference. How can they be the same part number?
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #48
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Anyone go 160+ in a genuine 1LE and remove the wing for inspection? Maybe they deform slightly too.

Must be a very small change to threaded area that makes a big difference. How can they be the same part number?
The mystery continues.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #49
EXSSIVE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
Something as simple as this could be an easy fix for pre-2018 trunk lids.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3194025&rt=rud

I remember back in the day, Sport Compact Car Magazine actually filled the unibody rails of their project 300ZX with a structural foam and it made quite a bit of difference.
EXSSIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #50
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Would the part number change if the bolts were different? Does the swap come with new bolts or has everyone reused their original hardware?

I'm wondering if a wider "washer" on the underside of the deck lid to disperse the pressure a bit more could solve that.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #51
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Ha ha
And what if the regular Zl1 1LE has its trunk bent also....
But nobody will know because the wing is not supposed to be removed
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #52
EXSSIVE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
Likely, its just another piece or multiple stamping spot welded between the inner and outer skin. We really wont know until someone cuts them open but at the same time, I'm inclined to believe GM on this one.
EXSSIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #53
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakins View Post
I've never heard of an airfoil stalling due to high velocity...only too little.
Its very possible and does occur.

Its called an "Accelerated Stall"

It sometimes happens in automotive aerodynamics when turbulent air is presented to the airfoil (among other conditions).

In order to properly analyze the alleged Rear Wing Only Disruptions you would need the following known data of a Factory Static 1LE;

1) Final Tested Airflow profile;
2) CG = Center of Gravity, (loaded with full equipment and fluids)
3) Front and Rear Axle Weights, (as tested WITH DRIVER).

Just sayin'
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:43 AM   #54
Salespunk

Drives: BMW M5
Would anyone want to be following a standard ZL1 with the 1LE wing on the track when it pulls loose? Anyone want to be responsible for the aftermath? There is going to be a cumulative effect so it might not be the first time or even the tenth time when it fails. Not worth the risk IMO. If you are just driving on the street and maybe hitting 100 mph every once in a while, probably not a big deal.

Seems it would be pretty simple to weld in some reinforcements under the trunk if you really want to go this direction. Could probably even just use some adhesive to hold some small plates in place and help distribute the load.
Salespunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #55
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I daily mine at I hit 100 at least 1 time a day, 150 1 or 2x a week.. I bet I have had mine on the longest.. no problems thus far.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #56
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
Would anyone want to be following a standard ZL1 with the 1LE wing on the track when it pulls loose? Anyone want to be responsible for the aftermath? There is going to be a cumulative effect so it might not be the first time or even the tenth time when it fails. Not worth the risk IMO. If you are just driving on the street and maybe hitting 100 mph every once in a while, probably not a big deal.

Seems it would be pretty simple to weld in some reinforcements under the trunk if you really want to go this direction. Could probably even just use some adhesive to hold some small plates in place and help distribute the load.

I checked mine bolts still good no cracks or dents thus far.. hell the dbl sided tape is hard enough to pull off lol!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote