Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 10-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #15
Rustydaytons
Account Suspended

Drives: Chevy
It's all part of apples plan to make and sell a newer version in a couple months
Rustydaytons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #16
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
It's my understanding that you have to have a special case for the Iphone to use that charger.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #17
contax

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL-1 (A10) / 17 Charger
Do iPhone 8s fit? My Note 8 doesn't fit..so it won't lay flat, but I have to use the USB for Waze/Android Auto to function.
contax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #18
rootus

Drives: 2018 HBM SS 1LE
It's probably not anything Apple is doing. Wireless charging just plain sucks the vast majority of the time. Placement is critical. I've had several phones with wireless charging and I never bothered after doing it a few times for novelty. Faster and much better to just get a fast charger and use that, because even when it works wireless charging is sloooooooooooooow.
rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:13 AM   #19
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbill77 View Post
Having the same issue with iPhone 8 in my '17 Camaro. Tried with/with out case, both directions, not working. Will try removing rubber piece on the charging pad.
I did and unluckily it's not working: my iPhone 8 doesn't charge on my '17 Camaro, too. It doesn't matter if you have a cover on it or not, if you have the rubber mat on the car or not. It simply doesn't charge.

See you!!,
Eos
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #20
Camvette

Drives: 2016 2ss
I was going to buy an iPhone 8 but now I guess I can't. It's unlikely to charge in a Camaro. Will have to look at Galaxy 8.
https://my.buick.com/content/dam/gmo...ble_Device.pdf

It's not GM's fault -- it's Apple's fault as explained by the GM guy in the other thread.

Qi told auto makers to use the Qi 1.0 standard which delivers 5w.
Apple decided to use the Qi 1.1 standard which requires minimum 7.5w.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...=508350&page=3
Camvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #21
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Mine works...my daughter placed it on there last night and said she saw the lightning bolt thingie (she has an iPad so she knows).

Normal iPhone 8 with UAG case.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #22
Camvette

Drives: 2016 2ss
There are a lot of people complaining the iPhone 8 won't work with pre-2018 GM charging systems. Go look it up.

That you got it working is great news, but you can read on this forum a lot of people can't get it to charge in the Camaro no matter what position they place it or by removing the rubber mat. You might have got lucky and got an above average charge receiver in your iPhone.

This is looks like a real fail for Apple. Why? Because the Galaxy S7 and S8 support 15W (the 1.3 standard) and are still backward compatible for the lower amperage standards like 5W. Many members have S7s and S8s working just fine.

GM has a 1 amp charger in their vehicles. They are upgrading to 2 amp in newer vehicles. I'd be really p***** if I bought an iPhone 8 and it couldn't wirelessly charge. The charger will be just wasted space in my Camaro.

It just seems like too big a risk. I think the best bet if you want to use Apple is stick with an iPhone 7 and buy one of those $15 adapters (cheap enough if it snaps you can buy another). Those adapters work with both 1 and 2 amp systems. And I really wanted to get an iPhone 8.

I'll be happy if I get proven wrong and there is some other solution. This is what I've concluded after a couple hours of research.
Camvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:56 AM   #23
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Hey Folks,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, as I would love to use the wireless charging feature as well. I have a rental Impala for the week that has wireless charging and I’ll be picking up my newly used 16’ 2SS next week and wanted to try it out.

However, after trying it with my iPhone X, with the case on and off, and every conceivable phone orientation on the mat and with the mat removed, the phone does not charge.

I decided to do some research, thinking that perhaps there was a setting that needed to be enabled.

That’s when I stumbled across this disappointing bit of news:

Quote:
About Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC vehicles

You can wirelessly charge your iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus* with these models:
2018 GMC Terrain
2018 GMC Yukon
2018 GMC Sierra
2018 Chevrolet Bolt
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe
2018 Chevrolet Silverado
2018 Chevrolet Suburban
2018 Cadillac Escalade
2018 Buick Enclave

The implementations of wireless charging in 2017 and earlier models from Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC do not meet the requirements for Qi certification. These models do not work with iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus.
Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208148

So while we’re ragging on Apple, it is not them who left the customer high and dry but the corner, but rather GM for not using components that were Qi certified during assembly and therefore we are left with half cooked, non certified wireless charging stations in our vehicles.

And while I know GM did a ton of R&D, something about an uncertified implementation in the car, when there is a Qi standard, and has been for quite some time, does not sit well with me. Wireless chargers are low current, however if the components don’t meet the standard then there’s an elevated risk of overcharging, and we all know how that could end.

This is one corner that GM shouldn’t have cut.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #24
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
They need to put together an upgrade kit
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #25
Camaro455ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS ... 2024 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Galaxy S8 works awesome on my pad, each and every time. Even works great in my new 2018 Equinox on the charging pad.
How do you get it to work? I have the s8 TOO!
Camaro455ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #26
Ravaged83

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS
Wireless charging fixed

Hello all,
Granted I am new to this forum and have not posted anything before but I fixed my iPhone 8 and iPhone X charging issue! Without aftermarket and extra special modifications!! I’ll give this a minute to sink in...

Okay, so how you ask... well step by step below

Before the steps REMEMBER this is all on you and any damage caused by following this is all on you and you alone.

1st. You’ll need to remove the the back of the rear seat by pulling the center strap at the top of the seat back releasing the seat back from the car. Then you’ll need to stick your hand at the very bottom of the top seat cushion next to the side of the body and pop it straight up and repeat on the other side. https://youtu.be/XQqxWLeUXqU

2nd. You’ll need to pop the bottom cushion off it’s two tabs to remove it. It is very stubborn and takes A LOT of pull up force to pop them lose. I started on the drivers side and when I shoved my hands under the cushion I soon found where the tab was and I used a 24 in. General Purpose Tire Iron Pittsburgh® Automotive - Item#61603 from harbor freight < https://m.harborfreight.com/24-in-ge...ron-61603.html > to help me remove the seat. I placed it on the outer side using the flatter end and pulled it upward on my side (which makes it push downward towards the camaro sheet metal) oh be careful not to damage the metal at this point .
With a little pull the seat poped up then I proceeded to the passengers side.

3rd. You’ll need to take the six bolts out of the center console. By first pulling the center console knee pads straight up to remove them (drivers and passengers sides). After removing them you’ll see two silver/gray bolts on each side to removed (total of four bolts two per side). Next you need to get both front seats all the way forward as possible to see this circle cover on the side of the center console towards the rear seat. You can use a very small flat screwdriver or finger nails to pop them off to reveal another bolt. Once you remove them (one on each side) you’ll need to wiggle the center console left and right to be able to lift it up from the back. You do not need to remove it out of the car unless you really want too. I did not remove it, I only lifted it up enough to see the four black torx screws that were holding up the factory charging pad from underneath. I believe you need a #15 or 20 torx to remove them (I apologize, I didn’t pay attention to which ones I used). Here’s another video < https://youtu.be/6uHVOw0fjz0 > to help but you do not need to remove the shifter boot for this nor remove the center console. Once you remove the four torx screws you’ll need to unplug the little half black plastic and half aluminum charging unit/box.

4th. On the aluminum side of the charging unit/box you’ll notice five silver torx screws holding it together (#10 or 15 torx bit). You’ll need to remove all five and you’ll need to split the box apart. Start from the side that gives less resistance and as you pull it apart you’ll notice that it’ll not want to be taken apart don’t give up keep on pulling!!! There is some double sided tape holding it together and that’s where the resistance is coming from. Once apart you’ll see this paper thin 2”x2” ish green (on one side) and copper (on the other side) electronic sheet that has a paper thin pig tail that plugs into the actual motherboard of the charging unit. REMEMBER this is a motherboard that is susceptible to static discharge that could potentially damage the board just like a computer so this is a risk you are taking on your own and if you don’t feel comfortable then don’t do it. Again this is ALL on YOU!! With that out of the way, let’s continue. So you’ll need to unplug the pigtail from the board and then take out or peel out the paper thin green copper thing. Once you take it out you’ll notice this copper ring with a little metal battery looking thing in the middle (it’s a small magnet that is glued down) and using needle nose pliers carefully remove the little battery silver button magnet. Once this is done put everything back together in the reverse order.
Here is a video to help. Keep in mind this video is for a gmc Denali but the wireless charging unit is exactly the same and what he does to the unit is what you need to do as well. Oh and the video is a bit rough to watch so um... I’m sorry... again. https://youtu.be/u29igTCTdLM Also, you might need to watch “part 2” as well but it’s up to you; he has a link to it on YouTube.

As a side note, I did this to my 2017 Silverado and my 2016 Camaro (they both have the exact same wireless charging unit) and both the iPhone 8 and iPhone X charge with these factory units after the removal of the little paper thin green/copper thing. The Camaro charging rubber pad might need to be removed depending on your phone case and sometimes the charger is stubborn and won’t work at first but I did this a few weeks back and haven’t had any issues. Nontheless it is fixed for zero dollars!! Also, I don’t know if this affects the wireless charging capability of non iPhone phones since I don’t own any.

Enjoy!!!
Ravaged83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:34 AM   #27
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
Needs to be TSB issued to fix this from Chevy. Thanks for post looks like guy in video eventually ordered different unit. Can any 18 owners confirm part is one in first video or second?
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #28
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond2 View Post
I recently installed the new charging pad from GM, I made a how to video for those interested....

https://youtu.be/Ktt8jmr0lDo
See above
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote