Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #57
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWheelerIV View Post
How dare GM even think about changing according to the way society is heading. No corporation should ever have a buisness plan that looks more than 6 months into the future.

V6 or V8... who cares. If you only care about sound go buy a 1997 Chevy Corsica and punch some holes in the muffler. Everyone will look and see what kind of a car makes that loud bad @ss sound.

Seriously people get with the times... the V8 has its place but it needs to improve or be left behind. I want performance in every aspect not just sound. If the best engine available is a modified v6 ill take it.... especially if it leaves the 8 bangers in the dust.
I feel like you're just saying this cause you own a V6 Camaro...
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #58
n!ght r!der
That Guy

Drives: really good
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWheelerIV View Post
How dare GM even think about changing according to the way society is heading. No corporation should ever have a buisness plan that looks more than 6 months into the future.

V6 or V8... who cares. If you only care about sound go buy a 1997 Chevy Corsica and punch some holes in the muffler. Everyone will look and see what kind of a car makes that loud bad @ss sound.

Seriously people get with the times... the V8 has its place but it needs to improve or be left behind. I want performance in every aspect not just sound. If the best engine available is a modified v6 ill take it.... especially if it leaves the 8 bangers in the dust.
So if everybody starts eating dog food because of some scientific study that says its healthier than normal food, would you too eat it and sacrifice the taste of real food?
n!ght r!der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #59
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmyskill View Post
Well, I am kinda for both sides... I have a 2.0 liter AWD Talon that put down 755 hp and I truely love when the turbo kicks in. I say this but, and a big BUT at that, I LOVE the feel and sound of a V8 and I would think that Chevy knows this and will offer more options in the future for the Camaro. Look at the Skyline if you have never been for a ride in a real 6 cyl with a turbo that puts out more than 400 then you should find a friend that has one and you will not be disappointed. Trust Me.... If they offered both then I would drive the V8 and my wife the TV6 with the boost turned up...lol just my personal thoughts...
No offense but how much torque does that Talon put down??
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #60
EJWheelerIV
EJ

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
Your not makeing any sense Because the supposed benifits of a TTV6 in comparison to a D.I. Ls3 are non-existant!! see post #41.
Not at the present moment... but as I implied earlier you need to look farther down the road than 6 months. There needs to be a vast improvement of the combustion engine. When gas climbs to $7 a gallon and all your getting is 24-28 mpg in your v8 and there is a modified V6 making 30s with very close performance outputs and similar costs. Its not hard to see where the majority will fall. Where the majority goes the money and the companies will follow.

Im just saying everyone needs to look at the whole picture not just my car sounds better than yours.
EJWheelerIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #61
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
Dumb question, but for all of us peeps who are not engine experts. Can someone please explain the advantages/disadvantages of a V6 Turbo vs naturally aspirated V8, assuming that they produce the same amount of hp and torque ?

Thanks!
nashstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #62
Nostromo

Drives: '11 DTS, '11 Yuk' Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnow View Post
If the other guys can make 412hp out of a 5L, I am sure GM can get 500hp out of a DI, variable valvetrain, 5.5-6.0L V8. With the future vette and camaro smaller and lighter 30mpg+ should be no problem. V8's in GM's performance cars will not be going away anytime soon.
I agree with you, 'tsnow'. The death of the V8 has been heralded going all the way back to '80. Unless they're outlawed, a possibility given the politicization of energy and resources, the V8 remains a capable platform for the foreseeable future. Even if V8s went out-of-production, there are literally millions available to be rebuilt.
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #63
EJWheelerIV
EJ

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by n!ght r!der View Post
So if everybody starts eating dog food because of some scientific study that says its healthier than normal food, would you too eat it and sacrifice the taste of real food?
If everyone said skydiving was better without a parachute would you jump? OF course not!... making that comparison doesnt fit at all.
EJWheelerIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #64
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmyskill View Post
Well, I am kinda for both sides... I have a 2.0 liter AWD Talon that put down 755 hp and I truely love when the turbo kicks in. I say this but, and a big BUT at that, I LOVE the feel and sound of a V8 and I would think that Chevy knows this and will offer more options in the future for the Camaro. Look at the Skyline if you have never been for a ride in a real 6 cyl with a turbo that puts out more than 400 then you should find a friend that has one and you will not be disappointed. Trust Me.... If they offered both then I would drive the V8 and my wife the TV6 with the boost turned up...lol just my personal thoughts...
Again, A TTV6 vette making 400+hp, will loose to the current 436hp LS3 vette. God help it when it come to the Gen V. Insiders say that the Gen V make 20-25% more hp per ltr. and more fuel efficient incomparison to the GenIV. A TTV6 would be equal or a downgrade in every possible way to a Gen V small block.

TTV6vs Gen V (theoretically)
Weight of the engine would be about equal
Gen V V8 would have more HP and Torque.
Fuel econmy would be about the same.
once turbos are added, I bet they would cost the same if not a bit more than the V8. The LS3 is only 6.5k.

All this assumes a TTv6 would be similar to the TTV6 seen in Jay leno's concept camaro. (425hp, 400ft-lbs)
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #65
Cmyskill
17 ZL1 what a car....

Drives: 2021 M S PLAID, 2017 ZL1 A10 White
Send a message via AIM to Cmyskill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
No offense but how much torque does that Talon put down??
602 lb. torque at 11K rpms (2.1 SLR). more than most V8's but at a big time cost. that is why I am on both sides.... but I like when you push the gas on a V8 the power is there....

Cmyskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #66
EtoneTRD

Drives: 01 Silverado
whar happened to the 5.5L that was gonna make like 450hp?
EtoneTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #67
Supercharged2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS - Supercharged
if the V8 goes, so good bye to the muscle car. sad sad days.
Supercharged2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #68
GLBL WMR
Booya

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Chances of the C7 Vette having a TTV6, even as an option, is zero. So let's just move on to the next thing to freak out about.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #69
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
The Corvette has been rumored of switching to midengine since before the C5 was introduced. Most likley will not happen. Also...they won't switch to a V6. GM and the Corvette Engineers know better then to put a V6 in the Corvette. A lot of people would be pissed off.
True. They already had their chance to make the Corvette mid-engine with the XP-882 (later Aerovette) concept, a 4-rotor(yes rotary) 420hp, gullwing Corvette meant to go head to head with Ford's Pantera back in 1973

Old 08-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #70
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28RockStar View Post
OverMyDeadBody will I ever transport myself with anything other than a Vtwin (Harley/scooter) or a V8 (cage/car). Same as my fire arms (GUNS) views, . . . . .from my dead cold hands.

lol, . . . srrsly tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderMoose View Post
This thread reminds me of this shirt

Really, I say hell to the environment as long as I get to listen to the roar of a v8.
I like that shirt!