Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-06-2022, 01:04 PM   #1
1ssa_camaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1ss A8
buying a car with headers intake, but no tune?

Whats up guys. Have been out the 6th gen camaro game for around 2 years. Previously had 17 1ss and a c6 z06, but sold that 5 months ago and now came across a 2018 zl1 that caught my eye.

Anyways, the car I am looking at currently has 1,980 miles. Tag expire Nov 2022. Only thing that concerns me is that he is running longtube headers, borla atak catback, and it does not have a tune. He sends me videos and the car does not have a CEL. My 2 previous cars were modded, and was always advised to tune them when running long tube headers. He says he doesnt need a tune and didnt want to mess with the ecu which concerns me, but I understand his point of view.

What you guys think? If I buy it should I get it tuned right away, or can I get away by daily driving it around 1-2 weeks with no tune with headers on. Car is always garaged and hardly drives it he says. Will really appreciate your guys advice.

One last question, if the car is 2018, wiil I still need to smog it to do a title transfer to my name? Or can I just register it under my name with no smog since car not older than 7 years old. I am in california. THANK YOU ALL
1ssa_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:50 PM   #2
Keko

Drives: 2023 ZLE M6
Selling party is always responsible for the smog, but it doesn't always happen. The 8 year California rule is only for the first owner. After 4 years a smog is required for change of ownership.

You could smog it yourself but if you don't have a guaranteed shop the headers and intake will cause an issue if they inspect. I would have the seller provide it.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:50 PM   #3
Yang N’ Bang
17’ Hyper Blue 2SS

Drives: 17’ Camaro 2SS
What cats are on the headers? I thought at one point I saw a post about the Kooks long tube headers with the Green cats that are cali compliant not throwing a cel for some reason?
Yang N’ Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 04:17 PM   #4
1ssa_camaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1ss A8
Not sure what cats are on it. I have someone who can do smog for me, but will ask him to lower price since i basically have to pay smog.

As far as the mods with no tune, what do you guys think? Should i still go for it? I plan to tune anyways, but you think running the car for 2k miles with headers and no tune cause any harm? Thank you.
1ssa_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote