Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #1
Vyncynt

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS (on order)
Chipped hood paint during shipping

I have a couple of questions about several deep chips in the hood of my car which were caused during shipping.

When I picked up my car, the dealer showed me several spots on the hood where the paint was chipped. All chips were on the passenger side. One up near the windshield wiper and the rest further down on the hood closer to the wheel.

The dealer's technician already tried to use touch-up paint, but the chips are all pretty deep. I could see some haze where they tried to polish it out, but they were just screaming "look here". I assume these might have gone into the primer and possibly the metal, but because they had already worked on them I do not know. This was legally documented as an item they needed to fix, so I am holding them to it. This and one LPO item were the only things which came up during the my initial inspection.

Went to the dealer today and they said I could apply touch up paint every few days until it has built up enough, but I let them know I didn't pay a lot of money for a beautiful car with a bunch of very obvious deep divots.

They offered to repaint the hood, but it will take several weeks before they can get me in because their paint shop is overloaded and they have staff off next week.

I asked about having a new hood shipped, painted, etc.., but I was worried about imperfections during sanding, quality of the repaint job. They showed me the nomenclature sticker under the hood and said these only come from the factory. They also said a replacement hood would still need to be painted.

When a dealer repaints a hood, will it match the original garnet red tint coat color? I ask because a lot of others here complained about the front bumper not matching the body, but in my case it matches purposely.

Should I wait several weeks or should they try to get me in right away? Am I being stingy by feeling they should try to get me in earlier? I ordered my car several months ago, it was over two weeks late.

They will give me a loaner. What should I expect? Something similar? If they try to give me something like a Cruze, should I ask for something in the same vehicle class?

Anyone else have any advice or opinions?

The last thing I want is for a few years to go by and suddenly my hood is a different color than the rest of the car.

Thanks!

"Ahhh! Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get!"
- Lyrics from a song from Scooter: "Apache Rock the Bottom!"

Previously owned
1998 BMW 540 w/M-series package
1991 Trans Am GTA
1985 Saab 900 Turbo (Burned leaded fuel on the Autobahn)
1985 Firebird (R.I.P.)
1976 Camaro LT
Vyncynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Find a good body shop and let them paint it. With the computer matching Systems is used by good body shop these days, it will be a perfect match.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
Glen is rite, A quality shop can do a better job than the Factory!!! Todays Water base paint will Match PERFECTLY if you find a Good shop.
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:31 PM   #4
BigEnos
Planning stages...

Drives: 1995 Z28,2014 Ford Focus ST
I bought a 2012 Mustang GT that was Red Candy Metallic. A very similar color to Garnet Red and an extra-cost option so it's a pretty good example. The bumper was dinged pretty badly so they had to fix/repaint. I must admit it matched exactly and looked damn good so I'd be reasonably certain that they can do it. Whether they will or not is another question, but it's certainly doable if they care.
BigEnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:35 PM   #5
sprtplt

Drives: Corvette
If you have the hood repainted, the paint thickness will not be the same as oem, and will be detectable. Any future evaluation of your car's worth will be reduced for aftermarket paint, period.

Also, no way it will ever match.
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtplt View Post
If you have the hood repainted, the paint thickness will not be the same as oem, and will be detectable. Any future evaluation of your car's worth will be reduced for aftermarket paint, period.

This is just plain incorrect. While I try at all costs not to break the factory paint if I can help it, a repaint of the hood due to rock chips and not actual accident damage shouldn't have any effect on the value of the vehicle. And yes you can 100% get it to match perfect now-a-days. There was a scratch on my phantom black metallic SS door when I bought it so I had the dealership fix it. I looked at all angles and in shade/sun and you can not tell at all. The shade, metallic flop, and even the slight orange peel of the clear coat is a perfect match at all angles and this was done without having to blend into adjacent panels.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
586mx

Drives: 69 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtplt View Post

wrong! bumper covers, often arent painted at factory. shipped in with paint.(truck bumpers front and rear at flint assy are an example this) 100% match no problem!
586mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #8
Vyncynt

Hello everyone,
I appreciate the feedback.

In my case, the problem is with the hood only. No bumper or fender issues.

I read previously about the paint tones not matching some of the front bumper, my I guess I got lucky because mine does indeed match perfectly.

"Ahhh! Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get!"

Previously owned
1991 Trans Am GTA
1985 Firebird (R.I.P.)
1976 Camaro LT
Old 05-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #9
Vyncynt

Is repainting the entire surface the only option to fix deep paint chips? (without having to worry about it being visible/noticeable later on?)

Previously owned
1991 Trans Am GTA
1985 Firebird (R.I.P.)
1976 Camaro LT
Old 05-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #10
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEnos View Post
I bought a 2012 Mustang GT that was Red Candy Metallic. A very similar color to Garnet Red and an extra-cost option so it's a pretty good example. The bumper was dinged pretty badly so they had to fix/repaint. I must admit it matched exactly and looked damn good so I'd be reasonably certain that they can do it. Whether they will or not is another question, but it's certainly doable if they care.
The Lava Red? I had that on my 2012 GT Prem. Probably one of my favorite car colors ever. Don't miss the car, but that paint in the sun was amazing.

As everyone seems to agree, as do I, a good shop will make those disappear.

I had a place do a ding / chip in Honda's Nighthawk Black Pearl, and you couldn't even tell where it had happened.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote