Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
Boogie4bear

Drives: 1lt
2018 Chevy camaro LT speakers

Hello,

I currently have a 2018 Chevy Camaro LT with the non bose 6 speaker setup. I want to upgrade my overall sound in the car. I don't need any base, but I just want everything to sound less muffled. I was told different answers by 2 different stereo shops.

1. 1st place said they could upgrade for around 700.00 or more and that I need to by a processor and go from there.

2. 2nd place said that there was not really anything out for the 2018 yet, so I should probably wait for a couple months. They said they didn't want to take the car apart "blind."

Is either really true? Or what are my options? Thx
Boogie4bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #2
modru2004

Drives: 2018 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie4bear View Post
Hello,

I currently have a 2018 Chevy Camaro LT with the non bose 6 speaker setup. I want to upgrade my overall sound in the car. I don't need any base, but I just want everything to sound less muffled. I was told different answers by 2 different stereo shops.

1. 1st place said they could upgrade for around 700.00 or more and that I need to by a processor and go from there.

2. 2nd place said that there was not really anything out for the 2018 yet, so I should probably wait for a couple months. They said they didn't want to take the car apart "blind."

Is either really true? Or what are my options? Thx

the 2nd shop is full of shit and probably doesn't want your business for whatever reason.

as far as the first one goes its entirely subjective and dependent on your goals for upgrading.

what exactly are you trying to accomplish? you could do an amp and new door speakers or an amp/s and all your speakers. how far are you wanting to go? or hell you could take the cheap route and just do some new door speakers. can't speak to how much of an improvement that would be on stock power though.
modru2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
Boogie4bear

I read online somewhere that the door speakers were kind of muffled because the way the speaker setup is inside the doors. Is that true? Currently, if I listen to music that I have on my phone and/or ipod, it feels like I have to turn the radio up almost all the way up or 3/4s of the way to have a nice loud sound.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:09 PM   #4
one R

Drives: 2017 1ss
You could get a processor amp and new speakers . But I guess if all you want is a cleaner sound you could easily get away with new speakers . You will want to stay with component ones with the doors / dash . You just can't get any good imaging from a coaxial in the door . If cost has you concerned you could do a piece by piece build up . Then I might suggest starting with a small 4 chanel amp . Something like bpa rail series amp you could easily stick that under a seat . Then after a bit if you want more and better sound then start to replace the speakers . You don't really need the processor if your just trying to do a slight better sound .
one R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:51 AM   #5
Boogie4bear

Thank you.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:18 AM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Take a look at crutchfield.com. See what they have for your car and read their recommendations. You can also review installation instructions. Even if you aren't going to DIY, it it might help you decide how much to change out.

For example, for Gen5, they say replacing the head unit is a big PITA and you can gain a lot from replacing speakers only.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Head over to the audio sub-forum and read some upgrader experiences.
From what I have read regarding this car, and based on past experiences with my own cars, you will want an amplifier with new speakers.
If it were easy to get noticeably improved sound in this Camaro simply by replacing speakers, the audio sub-forum would be filled with success stories recommending which speaker sizes and brands to use, etc. That is not the case.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Head over to the audio sub-forum and read some upgrader experiences.
From what I have read regarding this car, and based on past experiences with my own cars, you will want an amplifier with new speakers.
If it were easy to get noticeably improved sound in this Camaro simply by replacing speakers, the audio sub-forum would be filled with success stories recommending which speaker sizes and brands to use, etc. That is not the case.
Correct. New power amp, processor and speakers should start around $1000.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote