Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #1
mragu

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Mosiac Black Paint Issues???

I have located a leftover 2017 Mosaic Black 2SS. Are they still having issues with the color on these? I have also located a 2017 leftover in Black. I really like the Mosaic better but have read here that some have had issues with that color. Thanks in advance. Making the purchase of one of these in the next day or so.
mragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:11 PM   #2
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
What issues? I haven’t seen those threads.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:34 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The threads occurred primarily right after the car was introduced, some mosaic black owners found paint ares missing a complete spray under the hood and in the trunk area. They actually mis paining some parts. We haven't seen anything recently on this.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:36 PM   #4
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Probably wasn't just the MB was it? Unless it was just the robots spraying that particular color.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:03 AM   #5
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The threads occurred primarily right after the car was introduced, some mosaic black owners found paint ares missing a complete spray under the hood and in the trunk area. They actually mis paining some parts. We haven't seen anything recently on this.
That’s crazy. There were just raw primer spots? Or bare metal??
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:06 AM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Primer
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:37 AM   #7
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Thin and missing paint was a widespread issue on some 2016 Camaros. I haven't heard of the issue on 17 or 18's but none the less check it out well. Under the hood and inside the door jams were definite problem areas. One of the many early production issues on these cars. Also check front facia and body panel alignments, these were other problem areas. Quality control is lacking when these issues are allowed to leave the plant.
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:43 AM   #8
mragu

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Guys, Thank you very much for all the feedback. I discovered these issues on the 16's when I saw the thread for Mosaic Black colored cars here on the site. I was hoping to buy it site unseen as its a new car but after getting an education here, I decided that even though it is new, I need to go see it in person. The dealer is 600 miles away and was hoping to get it shipped to me.
mragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:00 AM   #9
NowaChevyGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT1 RS Black on Black
I do love this black but, honestly, I am doing a wrap in a more OCD car guy friendly color. Get a rock chip, bird poop, kids grubby finger prints on it, and you will see it from across the parking lot. Freshly detailed it is stellar but seems the front is already dirty as your drying the trunck lid. I'm staying with black but either a clear seal or shade change with the ease of vinyl. Best of luck.
2016 RS - Trifecta Tuned, 3.23 diff swap, Borla S Type, JMS Throttle Controller, Lambo doors, Monster stereo, GM LED rear tail lights, BMR swaybars/End Links/Trailing Arms, tinted dark and murdered out.[/br]
Car kicks ass! $20k.. and I get 20mpg with my foot in it, everywhere I go!.... Say somethin about V6's now...
NowaChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:38 AM   #10
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
I have a 2017 mosaic black and the paint is great everywhere except the strut towers in the engine bay... Wasn't a deal breaker for me.
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #11
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
My complaint with the GM paint is that it is soft. If you look at it, it gets swirl marks. I am anal about swirls and protecting against them and scratches in general. The dealership washed the car at delivery even though I told them not to and in the sun it looked like a 5 year old paint job. Took me 5 hours to buff the paint. Even the California car duster leaves swirl marks, so can't even use that. Have to just wash it when dusty using a 2 bucket method and single use towels.

After a thorough cleaning, I clay barred the car and the clay scratched the hell out of it. Had to polish it again and this time I used a ceramic coating to try and protect it. Will see how it does.

My RAM and other mopars I've owned recently have hard paint. I run that truck through snow, rain, mud, dirt, and take it through car washes and at 4 years old and close to 60k miles, no swirls or scratches. Looks brand new still. You can feel the difference just by touching it.

I wouldn't even think about a dark color on a GM. Silver, grey, or white.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #12
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
Hi Mragu!,
I own a MY2017 Mosaic Black Camaro and I can say I did not see all the imperfections and issues that were present on MY2016 cars..

The only area that could have been finished a little better is under the door handles: the thickness of the paint is a little poor if compared to the rest of the car. Mind I had to go to my paint shop and look at it with a special LED light, otherwise it's not visible under normal (sun) light conditions.

So.. my answer is "No, MY2017 don't normally suffer from previous Mosaic Paint issues".

See you!!,
Eos
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #13
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I had a very early '16 MB SS and it was good. You look at all of the visible paint clean and with a good LED light from different angles. This is a good idea when purchasing any car. Mine had some light spray on the trunk hinges inside the trunk, but who would care about that? There was no possibility of a rust problem.

MB is a very cool and unique color. G 4 it.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #14
man0steel

Drives: 2016 2LT vert 2.0 R/S A8
My late 16 mosaic black had paint issues new. Dull circles on rear quarters about 2in diameter, missed paint under rear deck lid and tonneau cover. Dealer took care of the circles but didn't address the lack of paint in other areas. After 16 months circles coming back.
man0steel is offline   Reply With Quote