Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-30-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
jpilone

Drives: '16 Mustang GT
Newbie. Dealer employee (*updated*)

Hello, I my name is Jarrod. I am a service manager at a chevy dealer. I have worked at gm dealers for years and it's time I buy myself a new gm car. Why not the camaro? I'm jumping ship from a 2004 mach 1 mustang that I track about 4-5 times a year.

I was looking for a new car later this year. And I was looking at mustang/challenger/camaro. Fell in love with a white 2015 1le, but I am gonna hold out.

I want something I can track and enjoy as much as I enjoy my mach 1. The reveal of the '16 has got me sold. Told my general manager I want to order one as soon as it's open for it.

Hoping for a recaro seat option!

*UPDATE*. I got a mustang instead.. See page 2...

Last edited by jpilone; 02-12-2016 at 04:31 PM.
jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
1hevy_chevy

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2016 6M 2SS
265 thread views and no welcomes for this guy?? They must be asleep. Welcome!!!! You made the right choice in muscle!
1hevy_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
From someone that bought one of the early gen 5 cars, as much as I love this new car, I will be waiting a few years til they get the bugs worked out. Also they will probably offer more track capable models by then. Just a suggestion. Welcome to the forums!
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
Arrow signs

Drives: Chevy Duramax
From Newbie to Newbie- welcome.
I also plan on firing on a 2016 SS.
Going to wait to see it in person but I like the pics and improvements made.
Arrow signs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:44 PM   #5
5150 Maro

Drives: 2018 ZL1
:Welcome to the forums Jarrod and great choice
5150 Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Welcome Jarrod

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:01 AM   #7
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
From someone that bought one of the early gen 5 cars, as much as I love this new car, I will be waiting a few years til they get the bugs worked out. Also they will probably offer more track capable models by then. Just a suggestion. Welcome to the forums!
He's the service manager at a dealer, he can just get any bugs fixed as he works :P

There's really no reason to wait, cars built on thursdays and fridays are more likely to have problems than ones built at the beginning of production anyways. Well, if you want a specific track version then there is reason to wait, as there doesn't seem to be a specific track version available on release. But the SS is track capable.
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #8
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Since the SS is supposed to be track capable right off the bat, I think a 2016 SS for a person who tracks a couple of times a year will be very pleased. Chevy claims the new SS is faster at the track than the 5th Gen 1LE (I am assuming that is WITH the optional MRC). Plus, it seems as though the Gen6 SS will be a better daily driver than the 1LE, especially with the MRC option. I suspect the non-MRC version to be not far behind in terms of tracking, but the MRC will give the car more versatility if it is going to be for multi-purpose use.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #9
mvfjet

Drives: hoopty mustake
Welcome, after reading threads here for a month you will realize the camaro crew isn't as delusional as the mustang crew. 6Th gen mustang guys think they can smoke stingrays vettes. What kind of times do you run with your mach 1? I have an 03 mach and with Borla fastback I ran a 13.5 at 105.
mvfjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
He's the service manager at a dealer, he can just get any bugs fixed as he works :P

There's really no reason to wait, cars built on thursdays and fridays are more likely to have problems than ones built at the beginning of production anyways. Well, if you want a specific track version then there is reason to wait, as there doesn't seem to be a specific track version available on release. But the SS is track capable.
I wouldn't care if I owned a dealership, I wouldn't want a car with problems, and I've had more than one experience with getting first model year turds. I just won't do it anymore.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #11
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
I wouldn't care if I owned a dealership, I wouldn't want a car with problems, and I've had more than one experience with getting first model year turds. I just won't do it anymore.
I hear you, and have some of the same concerns. But in this case, a lot of the technology is already been in production for quite a while. LT1, A8, M6, MRC, Alpha Chasis, etc. Most of this stuff has been around long enough to find and fix the bugs. The LT1 in the Camaro now comes with an oil separator that GM is quite proud of to help fix the issue with DI. Plus, GM claims the SS to be track capable from the dealer. I am sure that is why they have three radiators, a transmission cooler, air directed to cool the brakes, etc.

On the other hand, much of the chassis is unique to the Camaro, and the three radiator design is new (as far as I know). But then again, how "new" is it to use three radiators instead of one. More radiators, more hoses. I doubt that is very tricky to work out the bugs. It's not new technology, just more old technology.

Of course, the EcoBoost Mustang just had a recall because of the fuel lines and fuel tank seals potentially degrading due to the heat issues with that car. It could leak fuel and burst into flames. Kudos to Ford for taking a proactive stance and fixing the issue before anyone gets hurt, but it always sucks to have a brand new car recalled for a major issue. Plus, I think the Mustang was hit by the airbag recall as well (IIRC).
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #12
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
Quote:
I agree it's horrible to have a car with problems, I'm just saying you can get a horrible car at any point in time, and there is very little relation to the model year, so there's no reason to wait if the only reason is you don't want problems.
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #13
jpilone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvfjet View Post
Welcome, after reading threads here for a month you will realize the camaro crew isn't as delusional as the mustang crew. 6Th gen mustang guys think they can smoke stingrays vettes. What kind of times do you run with your mach 1? I have an 03 mach and with Borla fastback I ran a 13.5 at 105.
I ran it a few times down the 1/4, but could never get it to hook up, ran 13.2's spinning on launch and hazing in 2nd gear.

I do road course track days.. 4-5 times out a day for 30 minutes a time. Lots more fun!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:26 AM   #14
jpilone

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I hear you, and have some of the same concerns. But in this case, a lot of the technology is already been in production for quite a while. LT1, A8, M6, MRC, Alpha Chasis, etc. Most of this stuff has been around long enough to find and fix the bugs. The LT1 in the Camaro now comes with an oil separator that GM is quite proud of to help fix the issue with DI. Plus, GM claims the SS to be track capable from the dealer. I am sure that is why they have three radiators, a transmission cooler, air directed to cool the brakes, etc.

On the other hand, much of the chassis is unique to the Camaro, and the three radiator design is new (as far as I know). But then again, how "new" is it to use three radiators instead of one. More radiators, more hoses. I doubt that is very tricky to work out the bugs. It's not new technology, just more old technology.

Of course, the EcoBoost Mustang just had a recall because of the fuel lines and fuel tank seals potentially degrading due to the heat issues with that car. It could leak fuel and burst into flames. Kudos to Ford for taking a proactive stance and fixing the issue before anyone gets hurt, but it always sucks to have a brand new car recalled for a major issue. Plus, I think the Mustang was hit by the airbag recall as well (IIRC).
All valid points, but I am going to roll the dice. It's a new car, but things have come a long way.. I would expect to have some minor issues/bugs, but being in the industry it's not a deal breaker. Now bear in mind, there will be all the nit-pickers out there that will come in, having a fit, all because their car makes a tiny squeak noise, at 47 mph, but only with a headwind, and only when on certain roads, and only in the morning, and only once a week, and they want to sit and wait and want an answer in 45 minutes...