#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Mazda3 Anyone?

Trading in the Camaro, looking for something more economical and easier for the dogs. My search has led me to the 15 Mazda3 iTouring hatchback.

I was initially looking at the Chevy Sonic (it's awful) and a Honda Fit (much better than the sonic, but still feels like an RC car). The Mazda is a slight upgrade in class, but maintains the mileage of a Fit, and feels like a "real" and solid vehicle.

Anyone have one that can shed some light for me?
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Excellent car, I had a 2011 Mazda 3s GT model, thing handles well. We eventually had to trade it in for a 2013 Mazda CX-5 though, we needed more room after we bought our house.

Got great gas mileage in mine and it was a 2.5L. Be careful though, they are deceptively fast, you will be over the speed limit before you know it.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Thanks for the response! Just as reassuring as everything else I've read.

No worries about the speed - I already have a heavy foot in the Camaro, and I'm going w the 1.5 so maybe that's I'll keep me in check.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
IMO I would go with the VW Golf GTI, just because they're a bit faster and still economical (26/34 with a turbo I think). There's a few good cars in that segment now, when looking for a hold me over a few years back I considered the Mazda3 but it was just a bit too pricey for what it offered. With the latest model and pricing of other sub compacts coming up a bit, the 3 is a good option.

I switch between a 2012 Impreza Sport (on the weekends, second household car) and the '14 Camaro. Compared to the Camaro I really don't like the Impreza outside of the AWD. Real world gas mileage also isn't close to what they advertise with the Impreza. Unless you have a critical need and commute 100 miles/day, the gains in fuel efficiency at the current prices isn't immediately going to pay off. You will also miss the acceleration of the Camaro. It's frustrating driving the 4 banger in some situations where I can't pass because I don't have enough lead time. Even the lowly V6 Camaro is night/day in the passing category.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Yeah, I considered the Golf since it was named COTY, but I just couldn't bring myself to consider it seriously. I've never liked VWs, and I just don't like the way Golfs look. The lines on the Mazda are a little more aggressive, and it doesn't have that dumb (imo) badge on the front.

Didn't look at the Subaru too much. Only Subaru that I like is the BRZ. Side question, if you're willing to share, where do you consider yourself to fall on the political spectrum?

Last edited by dorfmac; 12-14-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
I don't mind the Mazdas now that they have gotten rid of that smiling front end. Couple of guys at work have them, and haven't had any complaints.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
an ex of mine used to have one, I always enjoyed it. nice car and never had any issues.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
xk49

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT Convertible
Mazda all the way! I have owned three of them and they perform flawlessly, routine maintenance stuff is super cheap and they are pretty peppy with good handling.
Flowmaster Force II Axle back, Kooks LT's and Highflow Cats, Oracle Side Makers, BC Coilovers, E-Force Supercharger, Rotofab Intake, HexVents, ACS T4 Splitter/Rockers/Wind Deflectors, Aeroforce dual pod, Autometer boost/WB analog gauges, MRR M228 20x10 20x11 Nitto Invo 275/315's, CDC Sport Bar, Tuned by Slowhawk Performance.
xk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by xk49 View Post
Mazda all the way! I have owned three of them and they perform flawlessly, routine maintenance stuff is super cheap and they are pretty peppy with good handling.
I'm at 49xxx miles on the Camaro, one side reason I want to trade in and go new is so I won't have to pay for any of the maintenance issues that are bound to hit sooner or later. Glad to hear that maintenance is reasonable for the Mazda, but hope I won't need it anytime soon
Old 12-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
A girl I dated for a while had like an 08 or 09 Mazda 3. I drove it a few times, it was a pretty nice car, fun to drive. As far as I know she's still got it, and it's never had any mechanical issues.

I'm really liking the look of the new Mazda 6. I kinda wish they would bring back the "SPEED" models. I drove a 3 Speed and it was pretty rad.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
I had an 04 Mazda 3s hatch. I really liked the car but then I started to have problems. And the dealerships around me we terrible. I got a check engine light at 10,2xx miles I will say and it was a big to do with the ecu. I was hoping to lemon law it but they "fixed" it. I continued to have problems and traded it in for the jeep I bought
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Personally.....I like the little buggers.....and if you do get one......here is for forum you should go to.....I've been a part of it for 12 years, and its as big as C5 and just as helpful.

Before they started calling them the Mazda 3 Hatchback.....they were called the Protégé 5. Here is mine.

Name:  joescar1.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  29.7 KB
Old 12-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Personally.....I like the little buggers.....and if you do get one......here is for forum you should go to.....I've been a part of it for 12 years, and its as big as C5 and just as helpful.

Before they started calling them the Mazda 3 Hatchback.....they were called the Protégé 5. Here is mine.

Attachment 680753
What's the forum? I signed up for Mazda247, but so far I'm highly unimpressed... Nowhere near the forum we have here.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:29 AM   #14
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Loved the Mazda 3
Great car

Hated vws

But have been driving my girlfriends mk6 golf for about 3 years and man vW surprised me. Great build quality and great car over all.
I would vote for the VW since your trading in the Camaro
The GTI would be a fun car but they're pretty pricey
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote