Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
karnov

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Question

I

Last edited by karnov; 04-01-2014 at 05:16 PM.
karnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Steve
Ancalagon The Black

Drives: 2013 Silverado 4X4, 2010 RJT 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnov View Post
I recently got a set to replace the front and rear OEM pads. I am also going to be replacing the stock rubber lines with steal braided line and replacing the fluid with some synthetic racing brake fluid as well. I plan on getting them installed next week at a local performance shop here that specializes in Camaros and Corvettes that I go to have all my work done. I have read some reviews and posts from some people that have installed the Hawk HPS pads and main issue that people seem to say is that make a lot of noise and "squeal" really bad. Some people also say that have no issues and they work "as advertised" in that they make less dust and have no loud squealing at all.

I plan on using the stock rotors as the car is new and I only have 3000 miles on them. I was going to let the shop determine and let me know if they recommend "resurfacing" the rotors before installing the new pads. I would think with new rotors and only having 3000 miles on them they wouldn't need it, but I will let them tell me what they think I should do.

My question is about the amount of noise that these pads should make and what I should expect as normal noise as opposed to what is not normal. Normal noise I can live with however the reason I decided to go with these pads is because they are advertised to have "less dust than stock" and be "virtually noise free". Is there anything that is recommended to do other than the manufacturer recommended "bed-in" procedure, or anything else so that I do not have the excessive "squealing" that some other people have had.

Thanks.
I put them on last year and have had a few instances of bad squeal (especially when running Watkins Glen International track). I spoke with a trusted mechanic about this and he said most of the time this happens when not enough grease was placed on the back side of the pads during the install. In my case I installed the pads and I will tell you I used less than one tube of the two provided. I plan on going back this spring when the car comes out of storage and put the full allotment of grease on the back side of the pads.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
I have the HPS pads on stock rotors and IMO, the brake dust is not reduced all that much. I have noticed an increase in initial bite and overall stopping power, but some of that is the braded lines too. When I notice the brakes starting to squeal, I go out and do a couple of 80 to 20 mph stops at about 75-80% max effort. Kind of like a mini re-bedding of the brakes. Gets them good and hot and stops the noise.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Are you planning on any road coarse duty or just for the street? The reason I ask is that the HPS pads won't do much for reducing dust. You would be better off with the Performance Ceramics, unless you plan on tracking the car, then ceramics are not that good of a choice for the track. I have been using ceramics on the street and they've been great! Low dust and no noise! I'll be switching to HTC-30/HP+ pads for road course days.

As far as turning the rotors, there's no need. With only 3K on them they're fresh as new! The only thing you should be concerned about is proper bedding in procedure with any new pads. Make sure to use the grease that comes with the pads or get some copper grease at any auto store!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I plan on going back this spring when the car comes out of storage and put the full allotment of grease on the back side of the pads.
I use HP+ pads and greasing does little to nothing for these. When I'm on the track and the brakes are hot is the only time they are quiet, or for a short time after I re-bed them. As for grease, be careful not to use too much. If you are tracking and the grease gets on the dust boots for the calipers it will melt them. This happened to me and why I don't bother putting anything more than a thin film across the back of the pad anymore.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
954camaro

Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
Installed my HPS in December and I love them they make a little rubbing noise when I first start using the car but 2 red lights later they are quiet as ever! Way better than oem pads IMO
Old 02-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
karnov

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954camaro View Post
Installed my HPS in December and I love them they make a little rubbing noise when I first start using the car but 2 red lights later they are quiet as ever! Way better than oem pads IMO
Right on, I was getting a little nervous after reading some horror stories about terrible squealing and noise with the HPS pads. I am not sure why some people have no issues and other have the horrible squealing?
karnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
driser

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
HPS pads

I switched to the HPS pads about a year ago, and have had no issues with them on the street. I have found them to be a great street pad (quiet, minimal dust, good stopping). As already posted here, if you are thinking about doing some track days these are not the pads for the track. I have switched to the DTC -30 pads in the front for track, and just use the HPS for the street, and this works really well.
driser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
954camaro

Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnov View Post
Right on, I was getting a little nervous after reading some horror stories about terrible squealing and noise with the HPS pads. I am not sure why some people have no issues and other have the horrible squealing?
I would say people just dont bed the pads the right way just follow the instructions on the box then you should be fine! As far as the grease goes i only used 1 for all the pads!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
The biggest reason for people experience squealing is due to them not following the break in procedure. If you follow the break in procedure as closely as possible, you will not experience any of the issues others have commented about. I personally run these pads on my car and they are whisper quiet on deceleration. The only time I have ever heard them make noise is first thing in the morning when they are very cold and going in reverse.

The whole point of the break in is to heat them up somewhat slowly and then embed the new friction material into the rotors; this is called a transfer film.

As for turning the rotors, you shouldn't have to, nor would I recommend it. I recommend simply taking a scotchbrite pad or some sand paper and some brake cleaner and cleaning up the rotors very well to be rid of the old pads transfer film. This will also help with preventing noise and will help the new pads "bite" better once broken in.

I cannot stress enough how important the break in procedure is for quiet life of the pads. Follow it as closely as possible and I am sure you will be satisfied with the HPS pads.

Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions. I appreciate your business and support and hope you have a great day.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote