Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
JustinOpinion

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Camaro Battery tender

I purchased the Camaro battery tender from TGMPG (good price and quick shipping) and plan to use it all winter while the car is under cover in the garage - but a couple of quick questions:

1. I'm allergic to reading instructions, so forgive this one - but should I connect the leads to the terminals under the hood or is connection directly to the batter required? (hoping the former, because there is no good access behind the trunk wall...
2. How long have you gone without starting your '17 Camaro - and how long should one expect to go before there is some loss of battery charge? Even this time of year I might go a couple of weeks... just curious.

Thanks - and yes I deserve the usual RTFM responses....
Old 07-24-2017, 09:07 AM   #2
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I have kept all of my summer toy cars on a tender for years. When not in use, I plug the car in and forget it. I plugged mine into the battery direct on this Gen6. I made a harness that lies in the trunk. Open the trunk and plug in the car.

The only issue I had one once my C6 corvette was plugged in, and really bad thunderstorm rolled thru. We got a very close lightening strike, and it caused a surge that came the tender and smoked it. Caused $3000 worth of damaged to the car because of that surge. Blew the BCM and a couple of sensors. And those cheapy surge protectors wont save you either, if you have close strike. So when it storms I un-plug the car first thing.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I'm a Gen 5 owner but I just connect mine to the 2 terminals under the hood and let it go. Never had a problem doing that.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
The factory one is high quality. CTEK I believe. IF there is one with adequate surge protection....it's a CTEK. I also use the under hood fuse box area connections.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I have one, though not from GM or anything.

Just be aware that AGM batteries are fully charged at a slightly lower voltage than regular lead acid batteries and that the charger has to be aware of AGM chemistry, or you should use the cold-temp setting on your charger. If it doesn't have any such option, I wouldn't use it unless it was only for AGM batteries or you risk either overcharging your battery or overheating it. AGM batteries are very sensitive to heat and charging too fast (not a problem with trickle charging) may cause it to charge too hot (50C is the max core temp before damage starts occuring).

in other words, dont cheap out with a plain old trickle charger or you could damage the battery, especially for those who either leave it plugged in for days on end or are charging a dead battery.

Edit,. I wouldn't go more than 4 days without running the car. I think a week is pushing it depending on outside temps
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
JustinOpinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post

The only issue I had one once my C6 corvette was plugged in, and really bad thunderstorm rolled thru. We got a very close lightening strike, and it caused a surge that came the tender and smoked it.
That's a very good point! Luckily, in winter there is less likelihood of surges from storms, but something to be aware of!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
JustinOpinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I'm a Gen 5 owner but I just connect mine to the 2 terminals under the hood and let it go. Never had a problem doing that.
Thanks. That's what I figured/hoped. I'm sure a direct connection is more efficient, but a big PITA. I will actually read the instructions at some point.

The reason I bought the "CAMARO" tender was precisely so that I would feel comfortable knowing that it was rated for this car and battery system, as there are a lot of options on the market.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #8
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOpinion View Post
Thanks. That's what I figured/hoped. I'm sure a direct connection is more efficient, but a big PITA. I will actually read the instructions at some point.

The reason I bought the "CAMARO" tender was precisely so that I would feel comfortable knowing that it was rated for this car and battery system, as there are a lot of options on the market.
Yeah its a good idea that you have one designed for the car. I'm just using a Battery Tender Jr. and it has worked really well on my SS. I put one on my girlfriends Benz a couple years ago too and had the same good results. Both her car and mine are connected under the hood & not direct to the battery.

This way on a rare nice winter day here in Canada I can take the car for a good rip on short notice but sadly that doesn't happen too often here
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #9
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Read up on CTEK who makes the chargers offered with our cars. They are very technical, and top of the line. I have several friends in the A/V industry who would ONLY trust CTEK.

http://smartercharger.com
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #10
blk 2013

Drives: 2017 SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Yeah its a good idea that you have one designed for the car. I'm just using a Battery Tender Jr. and it has worked really well on my SS. I put one on my girlfriends Benz a couple years ago too and had the same good results. Both her car and mine are connected under the hood & not direct to the battery.

This way on a rare nice winter day here in Canada I can take the car for a good rip on short notice but sadly that doesn't happen too often here
same jr. works great
blk 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:32 PM   #11
JustinOpinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Read up on CTEK who makes the chargers offered with our cars. They are very technical, and top of the line. I have several friends in the A/V industry who would ONLY trust CTEK.

http://smartercharger.com
Agree. I knew they made the "Camaro" one, so felt it was worth spending for it. TGMPG made it less painful, so that helped! Can't say I'm looking forward to trying it, though. Because that will mean cold weather and a hibernating ZL1.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:29 AM   #12
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
is the battery we have in our cars AGM or lead acid. The charger that comes with are cars says for lead acid batteries on the front page.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:54 AM   #13
mduck

Drives: not
I have an additional question.
Do you make any other special preparations for the tires during the winter season?

I am worried that they will become "flat" - suggestions?
mduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #14
JustinOpinion

Almost two weeks now since I've started the car - and it might be two weeks more. I guess I'd better hook this tender up and give it a try!