Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #29
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry&Denise View Post
looks like we're taking it to the dealer next Thursday.
Drive it when you can keep the car moving (no getting stuck in traffic) and don't run the A/C. With no fans blowing the A/C condenser will only add heat to the radiator. Watch the temp gauge. As others have mentioned, if it starts to get hot you can always run the heater! Great summer fun!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #30
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
I've let cars idle for hours at accident scenes in 90-95 degree heat. Never had issues. Of course...NO A/C on when I wasn't in the car either. Still....I agree...You have some issue.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #31
Jerry&Denise

Drives: 2016 1 SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Drive it when you can keep the car moving (no getting stuck in traffic) and don't run the A/C. With no fans blowing the A/C condenser will only add heat to the radiator. Watch the temp gauge. As others have mentioned, if it starts to get hot you can always run the heater! Great summer fun!
the fans are actually blowing. Just not always cold air.
Jerry&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #32
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
None of this should be happening in a modern car.

I hope the dealer can figure out the problem!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #33
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
They'll idle with the AC on in temps over a 100F and never overheat if the cooling system is working properly.

Something is probably wrong with the car, if they overheated that easily the foilks in AZ would be having issues constantly.
+1

I spent a couple of hours last weekend in Las Vegas in ~110 degree heat, bumper to bumper stop and go traffic on the Strip, AC on max, and it never moved a speck above the same indicated temperature it runs at in the cold of winter.

Same with the drive out there. 90+ MPH UP a 17 mile grade with passenger and luggage in 115 degree heat, never even tried to move the needle.

Go get the car checked out. Something is wrong.
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #34
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
My 97 Miata and XJ both can idle with AC full blast so yea 2017 Camaro can too
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #35
Jerry&Denise

Drives: 2016 1 SS Hyper Blue Metallic
well...apparently, the AC fan went. The car is at the dealership now. Had to get the recalls done and waiting for the fan to be delivered. Also having the transmission checked because 1st through 4rd gear are hard shifting.
Jerry&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #36
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Glad they found it OP, my guess was cooling fan died which allowed higher AC pressures which then tripped the AC high pressure switch, the cascade effect then allowed the engine coolant to get too hot which then tripped the high engine idle temps.

While the coolant gauge on the Camaro is a dummy gauge for the most part, once you get over the normal operating range the gauge does become accurate and reflects the actual temps so you know something is wrong.

Always watch that gauge, if it gets above the normal 200ish range then the car either needs to be moving to get airflow, heater turned on to try and cool the coolant down or shut off ASAP top avoid warping the heads and or engine damage.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #37
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
At least they found the issue for you.

Id be in trouble if I couldnt idle for long periods of times (as would most LEO officers). I sit in my car for hours at a time between site visits. When I test drive vehicles, I start them and turn on the air. If they dont get cold sitting parked, I wont even test drive them. Had a salesman tell me once that I needed to 'drive' it for the air to work - needless to say he didnt sell a car that day....
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #38
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry&Denise View Post
well...apparently, the AC fan went. The car is at the dealership now.
Sounds like radiator fan, not A/C blower.
These things are like the silent killer. Most cars have no self-check for radiator fan operation. And many cars have two small fans. They are always electric, often with multiple speeds. Usually by default, turning on the A/C automatically calls both fans to spin at high speed.
You might not even notice the fans not working were it not for needing A/C. I have a car with a bad A/C compressor and non-functioning radiator fans. Been driving it for over a year and it never overheats.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #39
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Glad you got it fixed! I can't believe some of the responses on this post. Who would think that this was normal? I live in FL and never had the car overheat when parked and running.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #40
show7ime

Drives: 2017 1SS Summit White
I'm in Tucson, AZ with average temps of above 101 each day. Zero AC issues when I idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
show7ime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #41
Daves1SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
I think this guy nailed it. Before you even go to the dealer pop the hood with the A/C on and see if the fans are running. The A/C won't even work if the fans aren't running when the car is standing still. The A/C compressor will short cycle on the high pressure cutoff. You can usually hear this happening. This sounds like your problem. Since you have no A/C and engine overheat at idle, there is a shared component that failed-- the fans.
Sorry to dig up and old thread but I'm trying to piece together what has happened to my car. I've got a killer chiller on it, so have hacked into my AC system. I overcharged it about 4 months ago but immediately discharged it, did a full vacuum and charged again successfully the right amount. Car is fine with nice cold AC for a good 4 months and the killer chiller worked great. Then my AC quit working (compressor quit engaging) and when I hooked up the manifold gauge set to the car the pressures were very high. I shut it down and discharged the system. Then I just ran without AC and dealt with it. I figured when I overcharged it that one time that it weakened a seal on the compressor and that over time it just gave way.

About a week later I was stuck in a horrible traffic jam. Car started to get hot. I pulled over before it overheated and shut the car off......but not before specifically listening for the fans. They weren't working. Let the car fully cool and drove home. Held a good temp as long as I wasn't in a heavy traffic jam. Dealer confirmed the fans had failed and actually replaced them under my factory bumper to bumper warranty, despite my mods. Good dealer, I know!
But now I'm wondering if my fans quit working some time back and caused my AC compressor to fail since the fans are required for proper AC function. Sound about right? And again, the car stayed cool with no fans until I was in a very heavy traffic jam and that's when I first noticed they weren't working at all.

Previous:
'12 Mustang GT 6MT (12.47 @ 115.88)
'09 G8 GT (11.86 @ 120.47)
'05 GTO 6MT (slow, lol)
'01 Grand Prix GTP converted to turbo, high 11's
Daves1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #42
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves1SS View Post
Sorry to dig up and old thread but I'm trying to piece together what has happened to my car. I've got a killer chiller on it, so have hacked into my AC system. I overcharged it about 4 months ago but immediately discharged it, did a full vacuum and charged again successfully the right amount.
^^^^^^^
What happens when someone has to use a recently found China Freight Gift Certificate and now;

All he got for Xmas was;
1) A Manifold Set w/vac pump,
2) Broken Cooling Fans and;
3) an A/C that blows hot air.

(Sound like a new Country Song)
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote