Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
beersngars
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Oil pan question

I am getting ready to do a cam, timing chain and oil pump. It's my understanding that I need to loosen the oil pan bolts so it will drop down about 1/2 an inch or so. My question to the guys who have done this, any problem getting a good seal with the old gasket and just re-torqueing the pan bolts? Also, I've read that a Gearwrench is very helpful on the oil pick-up bolt. I have one in 10mm but not the flex head. Will that work or should I order a flex head. TIA
beersngars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Wow. I would never reuse a used (let alone 6 year old) gasket. Never.

Can't answer the second question.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
gmorris

Drives: 2015 ZL1, Red Hot A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post

Ever looked at an LS pan gasket? Not exactly your old paper/cork rig.

I have re-used the pan gasket on my 418 with no issues and I know lots of people do the same. Pulling the pan to change the gasket in the car isn't exactly simple.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
Quote:

+1 on not reusing the old gasket. You are already there to get them loose enough to drop down on all sides so why not just get piece of mind and replace the gasket? Sure would suck to do all that work and end up with a leaking oil pan b/c you didn't want to spare the little extra time/$$.

FWIW, I always replace with a new gasket anytime I break the seal of anything like that. Time = money to me so having to go back and redo the work that I just did over a pretty inexpensive part would drive me nuts
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
beersngars
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstodii View Post
+1 on not reusing the old gasket. You are already there to get them loose enough to drop down on all sides so why not just get piece of mind and replace the gasket? Sure would suck to do all that work and end up with a leaking oil pan b/c you didn't want to spare the little extra time/$$.

FWIW, I always replace with a new gasket anytime I break the seal of anything like that. Time = money to me so having to go back and redo the work that I just did over a pretty inexpensive part would drive me nuts
OK... So can the gasket be replaced with out removing the engine or??? It appears an engine pull would be necessary, or at least a partially to get the pan out.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #6
JB'sZL1

Quote:

Yes. And at $30-$40, damn, talk about counting pennies (for good insurance).

Plus...

If you're removing the pump and tensioner, may as well get an upgraded pump and double roller while it's all apart.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by beersngars View Post
OK... So can the gasket be replaced with out removing the engine or??? It appears an engine pull would be necessary, or at least a partially to get the pan out.
It's pretty difficult to do with the engine in without cutting the cross member and making it a "bolt in". Several threads on here talk about cutting the cross member to make this easier. If you are willing to cut the cross member then the oil pan should drop right on down.

Last edited by tstodii; 03-12-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: no can type good
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
beersngars
Account Suspended

Quote:
It's pretty difficult to do with the engine in without cutting the cross member and making it a "bolt in". Several threads on here talk about cutting the cross member to make this easier. If you are willing to cut the cross member then the oil pan should drop right on down.
Thanks for the info. I'm NOT cutting the cross member so it looks like I'll just be careful and do my best to wipe things down. This is my first internal work on an LS so not sure what to expect.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #9
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
See some crazy answers out there...

Have anyone of you actually taken the oil pan off? The gasket is actually riveted on the oil pan.. You can reuse it. If you buy a new one you have to drill out the old rivets to install the new one...

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
JB'sZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouseIII View Post

Have anyone of you actually taken the oil pan off? The gasket is actually riveted on the oil pan.. You can reuse it. If you buy a new one you have to drill out the old rivets to install the new one...
I have not. But I know new oil pan gaskets are sold. Somebody doing a timing chain, oil pump and pan should have no problem with a couple of rivets...should they? I mean, it is standard practice to replace seals and gaskets before reassembly...is it not?
Old 03-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #11
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
I have not. But I know new oil pan gaskets are sold. Somebody doing a timing chain, oil pump and pan should have no problem with a couple of rivets...should they? I mean, it is standard practice to replace seals and gaskets before reassembly...is it not?
Not saying you shouldn't use one and that you can reuse the old one. The oil pan doesn't need to be removed for a Cam replacement. The front cover has to be removed. If you replace the oil pump, The pick up tube is the pain... Just saying some crazy answers out there.

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #12
JB'sZL1

Well, in fairness, the oil pan replacement is kind of a pita as well. 6.8 hours.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #13
Dylan1214

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS L99
I didn't replace mine, I had to actually cut my cross member and drop the entire pan to get the pickup tube screw I dropped out. was a HUGE pita, But afterwords I just RTV'd the rear corners and torqued her down. Been bone dry since.

And btw cutting the cross-member is not a big deal, Plenty of guys do it and haven't noticed any changes in steering or drive-ability. And pretty much any camaro that is for comps/Strictly track has it removed for easy pan access. If they can run 1000HP+ passes without it you'll be fine.
MODS: GPI MAX Package ported and milled heads+(229/250,111 LSA),Johnson 2110 Lifters,BTR .660 Springs,CHE Trunnions,C5R chain,DSX Flex Fuel kit,LSA Injectors,ZL1 Fuel Pump,MAMO Ported MSD Intake manifold,BOWhite ported Throttle body,25% UDP,CAI Intake,Intake Scoop,Kooks 1 7/8 headers,Borla attak catback,Elite catch can,BMR Motor mounts,CircleD 5C 4000-4200 Torque converter,ADM trans cooler,Jannetty Trans dipstick,DSS Aluminum Driveshaft,3.91 Gears,Eaton TrueTrac,JRE Billet caps,BMR Trailing arms,BMR Toe rods,BMR rear sway bar,Pegasus Solid sub frame bushings,DSS 1,000HP Axles
Dylan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #14
beersngars
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouseIII View Post

Thanks. I didn't know that it was riveted. That makes sense. I did know that most folks who are doing it with the engine in the car, just lower it enough to get the pump out and call it a day. The fact that its riveted in place takes a bunch of the worries out of it not getting out of place.