Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Oh look, another Alpha thread.

To me, the development of the Camaro has been a never ending series of "heck yes, that looks fantastic!" "Wow, so close to the concept" and what not, with a few scattered very minor disappointments here and there. Very minor.

Not so with Alpha, the other GM platform I'm very interested in. Its been on and off, and recently the indications have not been promising about its future. But now Leftlane News is reporting an Alpha based Buick is in the works! So its alive again, apparently. They speculate on 1.4L turbo power, but I highly doubt that. I'm assuming the 2.4L, 2.0L DI TC, and 3.6L DI are more likely given the size and what not. Still, finally a bit of good news on the project. I'm still hoping Pontiac gets a version, as that is more my style, but I'll consider the Buick if its done right. So, bonus points to the first person who can name what this could be considered a modern day version of...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/buick-co...ive-sedan.html
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Well, in the 90's, Buick had a model called the Century (also the Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra)...it was a small-to-midsize 4 door sedan, FWD...my dad had one...totally unremarkable car, but it was solidly built, completely reliable, and got good gas mileage (even though it wasn't even really thought about back then).

Also, in the 90's, Buick made a model called the Skylark. Now, this isn't the Skylark that we would all like to see make a comeback, this was the small-to-midsize sedan, FWD POS. My girlfriend in high school/early college had one...it was ugly, but it ran well...cheap transportation. My wife also had one of the last Skylark body style when we were dating....we hated that car, but it was fairly reliable.
Attached Images

Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
My mom had a Skylark, like the one in the middle picture. What a POS, I hated that car.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
stovt001

I was thinking along the lines of the Grand National. So its not greenlighted for the US yet, but if so I imagine the upper trim might get a nice powerful V6. It sure would make on heckuva Acura TSX fighter, and have the advantage of RWD. Price it starting in the high 20s, and you'll have a pretty good entry level premium car to bring people onto the BPG lots. Maybe make a sportier coupe version for Pontiac....there are some good possibilities here.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
GMI posted a news story on the future of GM's model lineup both domestic and international; there's a lot of talk on the lack of RWD offerings due to the usual beat down subjects of CAFE and maintaining a "green" profile. At the same time Ford has a ton of RWD offerings in the wings for the future, completely un-phased by the energy bill, and with that it's said that Ford will once "again" have the corner on RWD for the market. Personally, I think killing RWD vehicles that only get -1 mpg will only hurt GM because that's not what most people want (believe it or not), for many the handling/performance combo RWD offers is endearing and something that definitely sells cars (look at BMW, MB, and other RWD products that have sold very well for others). If GM kills RWD offerings for the future I'll be walking over to Ford (something I never thought I'd say or do, but hell, I gotta have my RWD).

You can read the GMI article mentioned here: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=60465
Old 02-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
stovt001

The way I see it, having smaller RWD vehicles can actually help meet CAFE standards. The way I see it, and my logic may be off, there is a sizable segment that wants RWD performance, period (aka us). So either they'll defect to Ford and Chrysler, or they'll stick with GM, but be forced into one of the larger RWD vehicles like the G8 or Cadillacs. I mean the smallest Caddy is the CTS, which is almost the size of a BMW 5 series. Size (and the consequential weight) really harm MPG, so pushing people into larger vehicles actually can hurt fleet average. However, if they instead offer small RWD cars with the fantastic 2.0L and 3.6L DI engines, they'll see better efficiency numbers.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

I've been pretty active on the MINI boards and blogs since the U.S. launch of the Clubman; it's a bigger MINI with all the traits that are unique to the iconic brand including the famed go-kart handling that rivals many famed sports cars that cost twice as much and more. However, being RWD biased I know that this is probably the ONLY FWD car I'd buy, and FWD works for MINI because of the cars size and weight. If it weren't for those two things, well hell, MINI's would be just like every other FWD car on the market; uninspiring and dull on personality. Considering alternatives that are RWD within the MINI's price bracket that offer comparable performance, handling and versatility are all but a precious few.

On another note, as I was walking to the student parking lot leaving school today I saw a brand new Saleen Stang drop-top, and while I'm not a drop top guy, sheezers (I'm ol' skool on the slang, get use to it) this thing was on fire! Besides that, it has that classic but contemporary, "nothing else like it" feel and the mystique of an American muscle car. Don't even get me started on the stock "KITT" Cobra KR from the new Knightrider series. Knowing how much better the 5th-gen looks than the current Mustang, I can't imagine how I'll feel seeing the production version in the flesh for the first time.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
stovt001

My mom is debating between a Mini and an HHR SS. Right now she's leaning towards the HHR SS for practicality reasons, but she has a thing for the Mini's tiny nimbleness, so we'll see. I agree, FWD works for some cars, but except for those few cases you go to RWD for performance

I agree, though I'll probably never own a droptop, I have to admit they just look good. Maybe if I'm ever rich enough to have a serious weekend car and a garage to keep it in I'll get one. Buick could use a nice drop top in its lineup too. Also, slightly off topic, I think a nice 4 door coupe would also be a great fit for Buick's lineup.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:00 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
We had a Century. 1993 I think? It was decent enough, but nothing special. I think a 'little' buick or caddy would be great. It would suit buick better, maybe. It would need to maintain the level of classyness that Buick now has but smaller cars and classy just don't seem to go together. new cadillacs are cool, and hip. That gives more design freedom. Might suit alpha a bit better. But if its for a G6 sized vehicle, that could work well for either
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I just had another thought for the Alpha's. Chevy could use one, replace the Cobalt with something called the C3N. Sounds a bit pontiac I know, but it would be a modern name for what would be the Chevy III Nova. Give the engine bay just enough room for a V8 and all will be well, even offer one as an SS model. By getting rid of the Cobalt, which is a decent enough car as it is, the performance trims for the Delta platform could be used by the G5 and the every more sedate versions would be the Saturn Ion. So GM sales would switch to other brands and not disappear, meanwhile Chevy gets a smaller rear drive car that has massive performance potential. This plan could also work for the kappa but that would steal sales from those other divisions and would acomplish nothing to help GM overall, and probably hurt them.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:37 AM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Nope. It's an all new 3 series sized RWD sedan. Has Alpha been confirmed officially anywhere???

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:49 AM   #12
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
OFFICIAL confirmation???
Old 05-31-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Exclamation

Ok, OFFICIAL documentation:

http://www.futureoftheunion.com/docs.../bookpages.pdf

Now for the interesting tidbits:

-pg. 61 says not 1 but "2 styles" off of Zeta will be allocated to Lansing production. Interesting because we know both the Camaro and G8 will not be built there.

-Same page (pg. 61) under Lordstown "Alpha" appears; "2 styles, 2011"

-pg. 64 RWD Gen II Hybrid will be allocated (2011/12)

-pg. 69 The above ^ + RWD DCT for NG Corvette (2012)

Other notes:

-CTS Wagon + Coupe confirmed for Lansing (old news but just FYI)

-GMT900 sucessor codeanmed "C3XX"

Last edited by Scotsman; 05-31-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #14
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^Sounds like this is going to get reeeeeeeal interesting. Less weight...more veh's moving over. Can't wait to see what will officially be moved over there.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote