Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #57
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Lame!!

GM fails on this one...

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #58
SILVER79

Drives: SILVER
If you drive with the cruise control on and no one else is around so you pull your feet back away from the pedals and towards your seat. You knee is really close to the keys.
SILVER79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 AM   #59
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER79 View Post
If you drive with the cruise control on and no one else is around so you pull your feet back away from the pedals and towards your seat. You knee is really close to the keys.
Yep, that's the only time I noticed it, was on a 14hr run to MA. "Ohhhh... well that's just stupid." Then on a nice quiet stretch through VA I tried to disengage the ignition with my knee while cruising like that... no-could-do.

Seems a silly solution to the issue really. A key is a key, but you're just hanging more stuff off the key like this.

And if they do a push-button start, I hope it's not like whatever the f*** Nissan has. "FOB not detected" while mashing the fob into the gauge cluster in frustration screaming "IT'S RIGHT F***ING HERE A-HOLE!!!!" Worst rental car ever. Had less than 5k on it too.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #60
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
OP, thanks for the post.

I think that's a dumb solution. I say this, not because we lose our precious switchblade, but because it's a cheap, chintzy solution. Like do a whole different fob. Not the current fob with the key cut off. It leaves those who don't know to wonder why there is that button there and why is there a moving part. Chevy can do better than that. I'm disappointed in them for the first time in this whole mess.

Yes, for those who may bring it up, I did buy a $60,000 switch blade key, it just happen to come with a Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji276289 View Post
I think GM has miraculously come up with a solution for which no problem really exists. No thank you, I will keep my switchblade.
And what is in that video bothers me the most now. That fob is messed up. They won't let me buy another pair of them like this down the road if mine wear out or get lost or messed up.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #61
skywarp

Drives: 2010 camaro transformers edition
you can still turn it off with this solution. they didn't fix anything and opened them selves up to more law suits. they will recall this also in a couple years. it happened to me I learned where not to put my knee and it has not happened again.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #62
J-vette

Drives: '14 1le
Op, the keys that were in the bag that came off the fobs, can they be put on the fobs is a waiver is signed? Seems this would be a better solution.

Also, if there is anyone driving & can or do hit the fob with their knee but do not know what to do should not be driving. For the 5th gens to have been out this long & at the near end of the generation it's a problem?
J-vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #63
Mike YBTG

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-vette View Post
Op, the keys that were in the bag that came off the fobs, can they be put on the fobs is a waiver is signed? Seems this would be a better solution.

Also, if there is anyone driving & can or do hit the fob with their knee but do not know what to do should not be driving. For the 5th gens to have been out this long & at the near end of the generation it's a problem?
I'll see what I can find out about this and reply tomorrow.
Mike YBTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #64
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
OP, thanks for the post.

I think that's a dumb solution. I say this, not because we lose our precious switchblade, but because it's a cheap, chintzy solution. Like do a whole different fob. Not the current fob with the key cut off. It leaves those who don't know to wonder why there is that button there and why is there a moving part. Chevy can do better than that. I'm disappointed in them for the first time in this whole mess.

Yes, for those who may bring it up, I did buy a $60,000 switch blade key, it just happen to come with a Camaro.

And what is in that video bothers me the most now. That fob is messed up. They won't let me buy another pair of them like this down the road if mine wear out or get lost or messed up.
Buy a few of them now. They are $50 uncut online
Old 07-09-2014, 05:31 AM   #65
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
My dealer already offered to swap mine under the recall, and upon declining I just had to sign the work order waiving blah blah blah because it's a safety thing. I still have my fob and won't be bothered anymore about it.
^^^ This exactly.

I had my car in for free oil/filter change and tire rotation yesterday. The SA asked if I was aware of the recall and I said yeah, but I didn't want to change out my switchblade. She just included a line on the work order "Refused Recall" and that was that. No drama, it's done.

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #66
dyn2av8

Drives: 2014 2SS Spring Special Edition M6
Just took delivery of my 2014 SS Spring Special Edition on Monday. They gave me one of the cheap looking key fix as shown in the video and told me they are working on getting another one.

I just called my salesperson letting him know about the comments about being able to sign a waiver and get the original switchblade key FOB. He claims they were just made aware of the option and is supposed to be tracking down the original FOB for me.

I traded in a 2011 2LT and loved the Switchblade FOB.
dyn2av8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #67
RubberChicken

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT w white Rally Stripes
OP, I for one appreciate you posting this. Ignore the rude ass who said you added nothing to the subject. This post reinforces that I don't want GMs Romper Room car key.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #68
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberChicken View Post
OP, I for one appreciate you posting this. Ignore the rude ass who said you added nothing to the subject. This post reinforces that I don't want GMs Romper Room car key.
I guess I'd be that 'rude ass' you are referring to. And I never said it didn't add anything to the subject...what I said was it shows nothing that anyone that has been keeping up with this issue didn't already know. The key shank has been removed from the fob and a separate key now replaces it. There were pictures in other threads showing this before this thread was created. And then of course you came along and began name calling, which I suppose you don't consider being rude.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #69
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
This makes me sad.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #70
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1975 View Post
GM has suddenly made the business case for push butto start on all cars.
My wife's 2012 grocery getter just has a FOB. No key. I don't know why all the manufacturer's haven't gone that route. They had push-button starters in the 30's and 40's on cars and trucks. They should have stuck with them.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key, recall