Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #1709
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Oh the excuses
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #1710
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Looks like we'll have to give "track star" to the ZL1 although I'd still put money on my car for any sustained running against either the ZL1 or the Shelby.

"On a road course, the monster V-8 (in the GT500) will suck the tank dry in just over twenty minutes. If that seems fast, then ponder this: at top speed, the upgraded injectors will spray enough fuel into the cylinders to empty the tank in just thirteen minutes."

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #1711
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
I originally ventured over here to find out more about the ZL1 as I considered my next car purchase. It initially seemed impressive, but the cost, narrow gains over the Boss and it's blown vulnerability made me hesitant. Then the Shelby comes out punching. Fastest car, no doubt with its 200 MPH bragging rights. But even though it suffers no gas guzzling tax its thirst for fuel is a bit off-putting. And in spite of its improved cooling I'm not so sure its blower wouldn't hinder the car just like the ZL1. At the end of the day both these cars are about, and deliver on bragging rights. I'll be looking for a '13 Boss to compliment my '12 after all. Performance, fun, value and a driving experience that's simply exciting all the time. Kind folks here told me to be happy with my ride. And I am. Boss 302 takes the podium IMHO, the blown oval and bow tie boys can fight among themselves. In off to the track in the big boys toy.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #1712
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Automobile Magazine wades in... ( yes, wades)

http://m.automobilemag.com/reviews/d...est/index.html
That was actually the best description of the over rev feature I've read so far.

"The high revs and enormous power output come with a corresponding buildup of heat, and for that reason the GT500's engine can be revved past 6250 rpm for only eight seconds at a time. Each second spent over 6250 rpm must be redeemed with a second under 6000. If the full eight seconds are used up, the engine computer will lock out the overrev function until the engine has been under six grand for fifteen seconds and has ventured once under 5000 rpm."

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #1713
JimmyDeanSausage
Banned

Drives: GM
Why on earth would you buy a 12 AND a 13 Boss?
JimmyDeanSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #1714
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
So the thing that I'm curious about especially after reading the automobile mag article is this:

Are there really going to be any bolt-on type mods that will actually give much HP gains over stock? I mean it's already running 14 psi of boost. That's usually where everyone gets the big gains over the lower stock pressures (8-9psi) is to up the boost. Think this would even be able to handle any more boost than they have already given it stock? (I'll brace myself for all the forged internals comments)

The modded ZL1's seem to be getting better performance numbers once they are up'd to the same power levels as the stock GT500. Everyone always talks about well then the GT500 will just be modded and be faster. I'm just not that sure that the typical bolt-ons would have any effect on this car Maybe I'm just being naive.....
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #1715
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post
So the thing that I'm curious about especially after reading the automobile mag article is this:

Are there really going to be any bolt-on type mods that will actually give much HP gains over stock? I mean it's already running 14 psi of boost. That's usually where everyone gets the big gains over the lower stock pressures (8-9psi) is to up the boost. Think this would even be able to handle any more boost than they have already given it stock? (I'll brace myself for all the forged internals comments)

The modded ZL1's seem to be getting better performance numbers once they are up'd to the same power levels as the stock GT500. Everyone always talks about well then the GT500 will just be modded and be faster. I'm just not that sure that the typical bolt-ons would have any effect on this car Maybe I'm just being naive.....
There are plenty of 5.4s running more boost than 14psi without problems. Water/meth will probably be great with a tune. There shouldn't be any trouble making more power, but I think the gt500 would be better served with a set of tires than power mods. With the trap speeds that seem to be possible, 10 sec passes are not at all out of the question with just a set of tires. These cars with just a beefy set of treads are going to be downright nasty at the track
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #1716
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
There are plenty of 5.4s running more boost than 14psi without problems. There shouldn't be any trouble making more power, but I think the gt500 would be better served with a set of tires than power mods. With the trap speeds that seem to be possible, 10 sec passes are not at all out of the question with just a set of tires. These cars with just a beefy set of treads are going to be downright nasty at the track
Any ZL1 or GT500's first mod should be at least a set of DRs.
I fail,,,I loose,,,I will admit ,,I will not deny. Your mustang is unquestionably the best and fastest thing on god given earth. ,,,,,,please,it hurts me when you say the deny and fail thing. ONE MORE TIME,,,,I HAVE FAILED,,,,,I DRIVE A BIG FAT SLOW LS3 CAMARO THAT WILL NEVER,NEVER,NEVER IN ANY WAY OUT RUN A MUSTANG. AND MY CAMARO IS VERY UGLY !! YOU ARE SO LUCKY AND FORTUNATE TO HAVE THAT COYOTE.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #1717
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post

I had the same thought. Seems built pretty close to the limit to me. I may be wrong but there doesn't seem like a lot of room for pump gas exploring. CAI and a mild tune might be all she wrote.

With that being said, an extra 15-30 Hp will be far more than anyone will EVER need.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #1718
8cd03gro

Oh god. I'm having, "the 5.0 is maxed from the factory" flashbacks.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:05 AM   #1719
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Oh god. I'm having, "the 5.0 is maxed from the factory" flashbacks.

It's a legitimate question. The blower is already spinning faster and making 14 PSI. Just curious how many more PSI it has in the tank. Also, they upped compression and removed the grill to combat heat. Add a few more lbs of boost and I wonder if it can handle it.

By no means trying to take anything away from the car. Not bashing or complaining. Just wondering. Interested in seeing what tuners say after getting their hands on a few. I dont think bolting on headers and CAI and dropping in a cam is going to find 80 Hp like some other cars.

Does this car need it? Probably not. Just wondering. Most people here are modders. Stock is never enough!
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #1720
8cd03gro

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
It's a legitimate question. The blower is already spinning faster and making 14 PSI. Just curious how many more PSI it has in the tank. Also, they upped compression and removed the grill to combat heat. Add a few more lbs of boost and I wonder if it can handle it.

By no means trying to take anything away from the car. Not bashing or complaining. Just wondering. Interested in seeing what tuners say after getting their hands on a few. I dont think bolting on headers and CAI and dropping in a cam is going to find 80 Hp like some other cars.

Does this car need it? Probably not. Just wondering. Most people here are modders. Stock is never enough!
The gt500 is using the 2.3l tvs supercharger now rather than the m112 the previous cars used. This supercharger is capable of pushing more air, more efficiently than the 1.9l version on the LSA. The ls9 comes equipped with the same 2.3l tvs blower and the zr1 has seen upwards of 750rwhp with bolt ons. Justin at vmp has put down more than 800rwhp with their iteration of the 2.3 tvs on the 5.4 gt500s. A tune alone is probably going to do wonders for these cars and wit bolt ons i'd bet money you'll see 700+rwhp.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #1721
9sec5oh
Account Suspended

Drives: 1989 Mustang LX
^ This x2!
9sec5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #1722
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
I've been up around the rev limited 3-4 times and it's screaming mad at that point. Also, while I do miss not shifting more than once before 100, it makes the car feel out of this world.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote