Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #1513
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
I like the talk that the "SHELBY" GT500 is a production car. If it is then the Hennessey 650-1000 are production cars and they hold the HP title for a production car. A few years from now when the Shelby company starts building Shelby Camaros, Challengers and Chargers along with the Mustang...... will they all be production cars too?
You are not making any sense. Are you inferring that Ford doesn't build the Shelby GT500? That is what it sounds like. Well young grasshoppa, here is a lesson for you and learn it well, ok? The Shelby GT500 is a product of Ford, built by Ford. If you want a Shelby GT500 "SUPERSNAKE", then you buy a Shelby GT500 from a Ford dealer, then send it and a $30k check to Shelby American in Las Vegas, and they will do their magic and turn your Ford Shelby GT500 into a Ford Shelby GT500 "SUPERSNAKE". Are you understanding the difference?
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #1514
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote me now. The new snake will post a better time at VIR than the ZL1.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #1515
JerseyMonte

Drives: 1972 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 IngotSilver 5.0 View Post
I owned six new 5.0 Stang's from the 80's-'90's. Life changes took me out of Pony cars until I got a 10 Camaro LS (first Camaro I owned in 33 years of driving!).

Traded that in on an 11 V6 Stang, and am now back in the saddle of a new 12 GT. So Chevy never lost me, because they never really had me.

But differences in taste is what makes the world interesting. And Pony cars is where it's at ... Ford or Chevy.
Same here traded my 010 SS purchased in Aug 2009 for a 012 GT, to top it off I have never owned a Ford before I don't race any more but enjoy "spirited driving" once in a while.
I am not saying which car is better but I prefer the Mustang despite it's antiquated solid rear axle, small diplacement 5.0 and smooth shifting 6 speed manual trans
JerseyMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #1516
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
So I guess the ZL1 is a little faster than the Boss 302 but it`s not alot faster as I would assumed given that it has 136 more hp.

the quarter mile times of the 13 Gt500 is ALOT faster than the ZL1 and the A.O simulation machine needs a software update..
ya think?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #1517
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Quote:
I like the talk that the "SHELBY" GT500 is a production car. If it is then the Hennessey 650-1000 are production cars and they hold the HP title for a production car. A few years from now when the Shelby company starts building Shelby Camaros, Challengers and Chargers along with the Mustang...... will they all be production cars too?
:: facepalm ::
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #1518
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
Quote me now. The new snake will post a better time at VIR than the ZL1.
LOL well you will only get credit for the prediction if they are run on the same day . I predict the next lightning lap will have both cars present...

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #1519
nanokpsi

Drives: Ford
Quote:
As mentioned, Shelby America owns the rights to the Name "Shelby" and "GT500". Ford has a contract with them granting them the rights to use that name on thier cars, which they pay for. The GT500s have a Ford VIN number. The other current Shelby Mustangs, read Supersnakes, GT350, etc, are post title modifications where you buy the base car and then pay for a conversion package where the car is also given a CSX number (seriel number in the Shelby registry).
nanokpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #1520
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Oh "sigh"
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #1521
peteypab2133

Drives: Mitsu EVO / 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
OMG who gives a rats @ss about the Shelby?. Last time I looked this was a Camaro site. I come here to discuss Camaros not blankety blank Shelbys. If I wanted a Shelby I'd buy one. I don't want a shelby. They could make 5000 hp, be dipped in gold and smaell like a field of roses and I'd still buy a CAMARO.
You don't have to post. You don't even have to read. Its a forum.
peteypab2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #1522
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypab2133 View Post
You don't have to post. You don't even have to read. Its a forum.
his post was funny. yours is lame.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #1523
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
83 HP difference and people are comparing?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #1524
HumanWiki

Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
This has been a humorous exercise for me... A lesson in abject denial, and the silliness it can create..

For months the denial has been that a Camaro with a 7.15 lb/hp ratio could overcome a Mustang with 5.84 lb/hp by virtue of bigger tires, magnetic shocks, and launch control.

Then the humor moves to all of the disbelief that the 2013 Shelby is running exactly what you'd FIGURE it would run just doing the simple bench-racing math. What a surprise!!

And now, I see Chevy faithful, a historically proud and race-savvy bunch, dismissing 5-7 mph trap speed differentials between the two cars as "not making it any quicker" and "not that big of a difference"... The kind of lame, shoulder-slouching-toe-tapping nonsense I'm used to seeing on Honda Civic forums.

And what about the hypocrisy? If there's a ZR1 magazine comparo, and a Porsche GT3 gets higher-ratings for its steering feel, fun-to-drive quotient, and overall handling characteristics, the whole notion gets dismissed as "mamby-pamby-limp-wristed-nonsense" since the ZR1 just throws down like a hammer of Thor. You laugh at people who worry about "feel" and "turn-in" and "balance", and just grunt like Tim Allen about the ZR1..

Now the 2013 GT500 starts making the rounds, throwing down some beastly times (as EVERYONE expected, it's no surprise ferchrisake), and all these Chevy forum guys are putting on their tu-tu's, their ballet slippers, their tiaras, and grabbing their bejeweled wands, and skipping around the dance floor talking about the "balance and feel and versatility and nuance" of their top-line hot-rod.

It's either funny, or pathetic, however you might look at it.

If you didn't like all of the lame excuses the 4.6 Mustang GT guys made when the SS hit the road, then go back and re-read your identical pablum here, and re-evaluate where you're at. Somewhere along the line, you put down your beer, and picked up a frosty bottle of Zima...
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #1525
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
You don't seem to understand that the GT500 is built on the Flat Rock Mustang assembly line, and is 100% engineered by Ford.

If you were referring to the Shelby GT350, which is indeed developed and prepped in 'Vegas, maybe you'd have a point.

But you don't have a point, whatsoever... It's a production car, they build 5,000-10,000 units per-year ferchrisake... The Shelby name is just a "model", same as "ZL1".

You would have to be living on another planet(I bet even aliens know it though.) or in a coma to not know this by now. I wish people would do at least a little research so that they could at least be half right when they post things.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #1526
JerseyMonte

Drives: 1972 Z28
Here it is

Don't know if it has been posted but here it is

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...00_first_test/
JerseyMonte is offline   Reply With Quote