Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #43
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMPER20X View Post
Camaro rumor mill history
in 1979-3rd gen to be FWD no V8
in 1991-4th gen to be FWD no V8
in 2000-5th gen (if made) FOR SURE FWD no V8
in 2013-6th gen to be FWD no V8
It's a track record like a middle east peace agreement.
lol
Hilariously enough I've seen a design sketch that was supposedly a proposed FWD Camaro.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #44
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
I'm getting very tired of seeing all over the forums that Camaros are going to lose a V8 option (anytime in the at-all foreseeable future), and everyone deserves a rant every now and then I think, so it's my turn...

Now... We all know that GM has made many, many huge mistakes, but
they (specifically the Camaro team) are not stupid enough to believe that killing the V8 Camaro won't totally ruin the desire from the faithful and ultimately murder sales, despite the majority of sales traditionally coming from V6 cars. For one, a lot of the V6 owners hope to upgrade to a V8 when they can afford it and a lot do just that, but it's a lot more then that.

Buyers expect a Camaro to be a front engine, RWD car with an available V8. The GM Camaro team has been in tune with us customers more than ever in history, and they're Camaro people too, so stop worrying about it so much and just keep the faith.

On the Big Brother side of things... As of my current understanding, the gas mileage requirements that car manufacturers have to meet are averaged across the lineup. For every V8 car or truck GM sells, they sell tons more of the smaller, more efficient cars and trucks, and they're getting more and more efficient and more desirable every year, as well as the PHEV's and all-electric cars becoming increasingly available on the higher-end of the econo spectrum. That's just on top of the newer traditional econo cars that have been getting good reviews and putting out great numbers.
What this means is that a number of gas guzzling options can be had while still satisfying the average numbers GM must meet. Above all that, even the numbers from those "awful planet-killing, nature-hating, obnoxious, crude, and just plain selfish" V8's are going in the right direction, not only in mileage but in power as well! Take that, tree huggers! But I digress...

I don't foresee this method of forcing efficiency numbers on them to change any time soon other than making the requirements stricter over time, but I am far from an industry expert, so take that for what it's worth.

In short, don't at all worry about whether or not there will be V8 Camaros for years to come. If they do go for substantially improved efficiency in the Camaro, the smaller turbo engines might be the way they do it, but they will absolutely not kill the V8 Camaro. Mark my words... (and if I'm wrong I have no problem standing corrected).

Here are my predictions (speaking in general terms):

The 5th gen will get a couple more engine offerings/replacements and tweaks yet, but I don't see any paradigm shifts for the rest of this go-round.
The 6th gen will probably have the LT1 as the base V8 (man I hate it when they dig up retired designations), some better form of V8(s) in the higher performance models, and possibly (hopefully) the twin-turbo DI 3.6, and potentially even a 4-cylinder turbo base engine. I won't rule that out because the structure is already in place, and it is a solid performer as 4-cylinders go. It's no 2.5 Iron Duke, that's for sure! Tuned for "torque" and minimal turbo lag, I'm sure it'd move along a ~3400 lb car just fine.
However, I still don't think it's likely.

If they do a TT V6 I'll be in love and would probably take it over the V8. As long as they did it right, it would be stupid easy to eclipse the V8 power. That's why I love turbos. On the other hand, can't beat the sound of that traditional and ever-present musclecar V8 thumping under the hood.
I like your post, so I'm giving you a thumbs-up award:

And I love your signature picture, so I'm giving you another one:

All good thoughts - like the way you think.

Let me draw a conclusion from some facts:

Fact 1) They just dedicated over a billion dollars to the new V8 engine programming. Two plants are due to produce the engines, and countless suppliers support them.

Fact 2) GM sells a bagillion trucks each year, each needing a tow-capable, torque-happy V8.

Fact 3) The Corvette will ALWAYS....ALWAYS...feature a V8...

Fact 4) Motorhead Al Oppenheiser is the Chief Engineer of Camaro.

Conclusion:
You think they won't put a V8 into a future Camaro?

You're either insane, or you drive a Mustang!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #45
ENV US

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green RS, 1999 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

Fact 1) They just dedicated over a billion dollars to the new V8 engine programming. Two plants are due to produce the engines, and countless suppliers support them.

Fact 2) GM sells a bagillion trucks each year, each needing a tow-capable, torque-happy V8.

Conclusion:

Not to burst your bubble, you may want to check Fact 3) The first Corvette was a blue flame 6.

Anybody check the horsepower rating on the twin turbo Taurus? I suspect we will see that engine in the next gen mustang. Chevrolet will react to that.

When I was young we were promised a flying car by now.
Mine flys, just really close to the ground
ENV US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #46
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENV US View Post
Not to burst your bubble, you may want to check Fact 3) The first Corvette was a blue flame 6.

Anybody check the horsepower rating on the twin turbo Taurus? I suspect we will see that engine in the next gen mustang. Chevrolet will react to that.

I didn't say never....I said "always" as in...the future.

I have nothing against TT V6, or even Turbo-4 bangers, by the way.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #47
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Sure, there will always be a V8 option, if you are willing to pay for it and lucky enough to get one of the few made. GM won't give up a V8 Corvette, V8 Silverado/Sierra, V8 Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon and now V8 SS sedan. Something will have to change sooner or later.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #48
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
I can see the 6th gen Camaro having a V8 and possibly even the 7th gen. From there on forward, the Camaro would either get shut down again or it will be sold as a 4/6 cylinder and the 8 cylinder being offered like the Corvette where not too many buy them.

I wonder what GM will do with most of its trucks and SUV, since most of those have a V8.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #49
V35 Skyline

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible (LS3)
As long as there is a market for affordable V8 sport coupes, people will continue to buy them.

Detroit makes them affordable and the fuel efficiency to HP produced is excellent.

Name anything from Europe or Asia that comes close.

Plenty of loyal customers ensure the V8 has a future in the Camaro and Corvette.
V35 Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #50
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
I guess all the people who figure it'll be fine don't remember (or weren't around for) the late 70's/early 80's. Those years aren't remembered as great car years.

As for me, when it goes south, I'll be buying used Gen 5's or Gen 6's instead of new.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #51
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
My Wish List:

- Gen 6 ATS Camaro, SS - new Gen 7 Corvette LT1 V8 (450HP).

- Gen 6 ATS Camaro, 1LE (handling pak) - new Gen 7 Corvette LT1 V8 (450HP).

- Gen 6 ATS Z/28, whatever Gen 7 Vette Z06 LT was available (530HP)

- Gen 6 ZL1, whatever Gen 7 Corvette ZR-1 SC LT program was offered should go here (680hp)
Old 01-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #52
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

Conclusion:

Back-atcha.

I took the pic in the sig on Skyline Drive in VA, July 4th 2011 (It was my 2010 1LT/RS... Rest In Pieces). It's my favorite for sure. :flag2:
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #53
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENV US View Post

I can see the Mustang getting that engine, and I can also see Chevy answering with a TT V6 Camaro. However, I can't see there not being a V8... because there will be.

Oh, and...

Attached Images

ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #54
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline View Post
As long as there is a market for affordable V8 sport coupes, people will continue to buy them.

Detroit makes them affordable and the fuel efficiency to HP produced is excellent.

Name anything from Europe or Asia that comes close.

Plenty of loyal customers ensure the V8 has a future in the Camaro and Corvette.
Key word = "affordable".

Yes... no doubt the V8 Camaro will carry on thru the the 6th Gen car.

However, given impending CAFE standards Chevrolet will simply need to find a way to curtail sales of V8 cars.

I remember the early predictions made by Chevy with respect to the mix of V6 vs. V8 cars before the 5th Gen car came to market. Chevy was banking on a production mix of 80% V6 and 20% V8 cars. Big joke... in reality, that proportion was reversed, based on the unexpected demand for the SS! The good news was that the V8 car was significantly more profitable for GM than the V6. (so let's leave well enough alone!) The bad news is that CAFE numbers took a hit as a result. Again, given the new fuel economy requirements coming down the road, GM cannot afford to have that kind of imbalance between the V6 and V8 cars again.
V8 sales will need to be limited in order to meet the new requirements - and as has already been demonstrated, Chevy cannot depend on consumer demand to strike a balance in order to meet requirements. The clear choice among Camaro enthusiasts looks to be the V8.

The easiest way to limit the number of V8s on the road is to make them less attainable by making them more expensive. My prediction is that the V8 Camaro will live on in the 6th Gen car, but those of us who want (need) a V8 will have to dig a lot deeper into our pockets to get one.

Best regards,

Elie
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #55
mntgome1

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
I have been trying to ignore this topic for a minute now. I can no longer keep my feelings bottled up. Simply put if the Camaro gets rid of the V8 im gonna whip someones @$$....
Old 01-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #56
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
Big joke... in reality, that proportion was reversed, based on the unexpected demand for the SS! The good news was that the V8 car was significantly more profitable for GM than the V6.
Has anyone else sort of connected the dots here and figured out how a car equipped essentially the same except for the engine and transmittion can have a price difference of $6000?

Go look at the 1LT and 1SS pricing and explain to me where that $6000 went? This is with the 2013 fuel economy standards in place. What do you think will happen when we double them in 12 years?

So, yes, there will be a V8 in the near term future for the camaro. But anyone who believes they will be made in volume and will be affordable is simply deluded. Common sense and a little math are all it takes to understand that the V8 Camaro will one day become the plaything of the elite, connected class.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote