Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Remove open door chime?

Ya that's all, anyway possible to remove the chime when the door is open?
Knockoutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Hopefully not but there probably is a way. It's a safety feature that's pretty important. First time you forget one of your doors is open, back out of a garage and rip it off its hinges... you'll wish you hadn't cancelled it.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Macina

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT AGM
Hmm safety feature? Can't think of a single car that I've owned here in Sweden that have had that "safety feature".
Hope to find a way to disable it to! If you dont know your doors are open when you drive away then maybe you shouldn't drive..
Mods: OBX 1.7/8" LT headers, No cats, SW retro chambered cat back, CAI inc cai, JRE Scoop, roto-fab wb relo kit, RX catch can, Vmax ported TB, 1LE steering wheel, 1LE shift knob/boot, SCT tuner, Anthracite plasti dipped wheels, Apex/Pfadt 1.25" lowering springs.
Macina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
How about take the key out of the ignition before you open the door?

DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macina View Post
Hmm safety feature? Can't think of a single car that I've owned here in Sweden that have had that "safety feature".
Hope to find a way to disable it to! If you dont know your doors are open when you drive away then maybe you shouldn't drive..
Yes, safety feature (here in the states). Okay... here's a scenario that happened to a friend of mine years ago (before door chimes).

Takes his wife shopping. Parks the car, gets a return out of the trunk and gives it to his wife to take into the store while he waits on her. She hadn't closed the door properly. He didn't know it. She comes out of the store, he cranks up and pulls out of the space to pick her up at the door because it was now raining. As he turns toward the store, door flies open - whacks the bumper corner of the car next to him. No damage to other car - his had a huge dent in the door.

Just a little ding-ding-ding would have prevented it.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

The chime also tells you that your key is in the ignition when the car is off and the door is open. Also it tells you that your lights are on with the car off and the door open.

I would much rather leave it on to tell me about either of those two things instead of forgetting say my headlights are on (some of us turn them on during the day) and coming out to a dead battery hours later.

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
Old 11-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Yes, safety feature (here in the states). Okay... here's a scenario that happened to a friend of mine years ago (before door chimes).

Takes his wife shopping. Parks the car, gets a return out of the trunk and gives it to his wife to take into the store while he waits on her. She hadn't closed the door properly. He didn't know it. She comes out of the store, he cranks up and pulls out of the space to pick her up at the door because it was now raining. As he turns toward the store, door flies open - whacks the bumper corner of the car next to him. No damage to other car - his had a huge dent in the door.

Just a little ding-ding-ding would have prevented it.
Good thing I never have an passengers!
Knockoutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
There's a way to do it with wiring. When I replaced my amps using the ******** harness I remeber somewhere that if you didn't hook up this one random wire that the chime would go away. I can't remeber it's been a while. But I'm pretty sure it would entail cutting a wire near the rear amp.

You could probably message ******** about it.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
Ya that's all, anyway possible to remove the chime when the door is open?
I'm sure you have a good reason for wanting to remove it, but out of curiosity why? (do you regularly leave the door open for extended periods of time?)

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Hopefully not but there probably is a way. It's a safety feature that's pretty important. First time you forget one of your doors is open, back out of a garage and rip it off its hinges... you'll wish you hadn't cancelled it.
Safety feature yes. But not for that sort of reason. Consider a variation on the situation already posted, involving an unbelted passenger. I guess we'd have to assume that said passenger does not have enough presence of mind to make sure that the door is in fact closed.

Quote:
Takes his wife shopping, lets her out, waits, and picks her back up. She hasn't closed the door properly. He doesn't notice this. As he turns to leave, door flies open . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoskins76 View Post
The chime also tells you that your key is in the ignition when the car is off and the door is open. Also it tells you that your lights are on with the car off and the door open.

I would much rather leave it on to tell me about either of those two things instead of forgetting say my headlights are on (some of us turn them on during the day) and coming out to a dead battery hours later.
I don't remember those ever being big problems when few if any cars had chimes. Dunno , maybe people back then paid more attention to what they were doing where driving was concerned, or they actually learned from such generally harmless mistakes as leaving the keys in the ignition and locking the door on the way out or leaving the headlights or parking lights on and walking away.

These days it seems that people expect to be spoon-fed everything there is about driving so that they don't have to actually do any of the thinking. Heaven forbid that driving distract anybody from their digital distractions.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
you guys are idiots lol if your door is open it definately shows/tells you on the console. Disable the annoying ass ring if you want, you still have the screen in between your gauges telling you if its open
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Safety feature yes. But not for that sort of reason. Consider a variation on the situation already posted, involving an unbelted passenger. I guess we'd have to assume that said passenger does not have enough presence of mind to make sure that the door is in fact closed.

I don't remember those ever being big problems when few if any cars had chimes. Dunno , maybe people back then paid more attention to what they were doing where driving was concerned, or they actually learned from such generally harmless mistakes as leaving the keys in the ignition and locking the door on the way out or leaving the headlights or parking lights on and walking away.
These days it seems that people expect to be spoon-fed everything there is about driving so that they don't have to actually do any of the thinking. Heaven forbid that driving distract anybody from their digital distractions.
Norm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well Norm welcome to the 21st century where drivers who may inadvertently leave their lights on will be reminded before they learned harmlessly (lets say on a 20 degree at 4 AM) as they try to start a car they left the lights on. Or maybe in a dark parking lot... Or "back in the day" someone like my 80 year grandmother went to get something out of her trunk and absent mindedly locked the car with the keys in the ignition. Had to call someone to bring her second set to open the doors...
I don't think they would see themselves as being spoon fed. AND they weren't driving or distracted by anything digital.
I for one am glad for any advancement that helps keep me and anyone else important to me out of trouble. Even if it means an annoying chime.....

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
tys2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I feel sorry for you bro! I added a full roll cage with safety harnesses and asked on here how to disable the seat belt chime, as I will not be using the factory restraints during rally racing and didn't want to hear the annoying chime. Mostly what I received was a bunch of nonsense advice on the safety of seat belts! Like your getting here.
I finally had a member suggest I have it tuned out which I did. I don't know if you can tune out for open door or not. Hope I helped answer your question without needless advise you didn't ask for.
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBreezie View Post
you guys are idiots lol if your door is open it definately shows/tells you on the console. Disable the annoying ass ring if you want, you still have the screen in between your gauges telling you if its open
Thanks tips, but the "door chime" is used for other things as well, beyond just the door being open. Buy hey...thanks for the response and calling all of us idiots.

Mods: