Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #15
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
OP, with them talking discount, did you consider the 1SS?
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:45 AM   #16
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
This should be taken lightly, as I don't know the actual source of it. But..

I have a friend on Xbox who says he is building the new Camaro. He knows a lot of details, so I tend to believe him. Yesterday, I asked about the 4 banger, cause' it came up in conversation. He said they were short people right now, and were working with union or something. I don't know how the whole union thing works, but I think it may have something to do with that vs. engine problems per say.

Thank our veterans for peace today, Support our troops for peace tomorrow. RIP Dad, 1962-2012 SYOTOS
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #17
fitguy913

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I was one of the Cadillac ATS owners that had a problem with the 2.0T. I bought a 2014 Cadillac ATS at the very end of 2014. Gorgeous car, fully loaded, all-wheel drive, Premium package, nav, everything. Somewhere around mile 3,000, the car started shaking violently and lost a lot of power. Having prior knowledge of the problems with the pistons breaking, I immediately knew what the problem was. I garaged the car for that weekend and had it towed to the dealer. One long block later and I was back in my car. The second motor lasted only 400 miles! This is when I started calling GM like "Yo, you gotta take this piece of shit back!"

GM's customer service refused to help me out, even though the car qualified as a lemon. Ultimately I had to sue GM to get any relief. It took me 8 months, but the result was my 2016 2SS, which I love way more than the ATS.

In between the third motor being installed into the ATS and now, I also leased a Lexus GS350 (our 4th Lexus) that is my daily driver. Why? Because I didn't anymore problems from the ATS and couldn't wait for this to be resolved. As I was turning the ATS into the Chevy dealer the day I picked up my Camaro, I noticed a shit ton of carbon on the rear bumper cover and decklid and the car had been idling kind of rough. The car is certainly destined for a 4th motor.

In speaking with my friend who owns Aeromotive, I have a couple of theories as to why these engines are blowing up right and left. Mainly, too much cylinder pressure and shitty hyper-eutectic pistons. We also think there could be an electrical gremlin which caused cylinder #4 to run too lean and #2 to run too rich. Overall, there is no way I would do the 2.0T in anything again after my experience.
fitguy913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #18
L&M CAMARO 6

Drives: Just a fan for now
Fitguy, glad that you are in a new camaro. I was seriously thinking of getting a 2.0T camaro. I think that I'd be better off with the V6.
Sorry to read about your caddy, but we should all expect better from GM, be it a caddy or camaro.
L&M CAMARO 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #19
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I've had my 2016 Malibu LTZ with the 2.0T for just over a year now and I've had ZERO problems with it. I LOVE this car.
I was REALLY tempted to trade it in for a 2016 2LT because I loved the hyper blue Camaro I saw at the dealer while getting an oil change, But ultimately decided to keep the Malibu as a winter DD.
I already have a ZL1, so I DO have a Camaro, and I love the huge trunk in the Malibu.

The 2.0T has plenty of power and zero problems.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #20
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitguy913 View Post
I was one of the Cadillac ATS owners that had a problem with the 2.0T. I bought a 2014 Cadillac ATS at the very end of 2014. Gorgeous car, fully loaded, all-wheel drive, Premium package, nav, everything. Somewhere around mile 3,000, the car started shaking violently and lost a lot of power. Having prior knowledge of the problems with the pistons breaking, I immediately knew what the problem was. I garaged the car for that weekend and had it towed to the dealer. One long block later and I was back in my car. The second motor lasted only 400 miles! This is when I started calling GM like "Yo, you gotta take this piece of shit back!"

GM's customer service refused to help me out, even though the car qualified as a lemon. Ultimately I had to sue GM to get any relief. It took me 8 months, but the result was my 2016 2SS, which I love way more than the ATS.

In between the third motor being installed into the ATS and now, I also leased a Lexus GS350 (our 4th Lexus) that is my daily driver. Why? Because I didn't anymore problems from the ATS and couldn't wait for this to be resolved. As I was turning the ATS into the Chevy dealer the day I picked up my Camaro, I noticed a shit ton of carbon on the rear bumper cover and decklid and the car had been idling kind of rough. The car is certainly destined for a 4th motor.

In speaking with my friend who owns Aeromotive, I have a couple of theories as to why these engines are blowing up right and left. Mainly, too much cylinder pressure and shitty hyper-eutectic pistons. We also think there could be an electrical gremlin which caused cylinder #4 to run too lean and #2 to run too rich. Overall, there is no way I would do the 2.0T in anything again after my experience.
Respect your post and experience, but don't say they are failing right and left when they clearly aren't.

Unless you have access to GMs warranty .............
Old 01-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #21
fitguy913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Respect your post and experience, but don't say they are failing right and left when they clearly aren't.

Unless you have access to GMs warranty .............
Go onto Cadillac Forums or the ATS owner's page on Facebook. There are tons of instances of 2.0T engine failures documented, to the point where there is even an attorney who is trying to drum up enough support for a class action lawsuit (which I am not eligible to engage in due to my settlement with GM). I get that you are one of the lucky ones that have had one without failure. That's great, but there was even an internal customer service bulletin (not necessarily a TSB though) released documenting how to prevent this in a certain VIN number range, which was really just a change in tune and different spark plugs. These measures would later prove futile.

I know another guy who lives just a few blocks away from me that had the same engine failure. Same motor, model year, everything. What are the odds?
Old 01-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #22
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
Sorry to hear there having issues I had a 08 cobalt SS Turbo 2.0 for 5 years Bolted it and dyno tuned it to 300hp and 370tq to the wheels drove it for 50000 kilometres with out a issue before selling it. Curious to what they changed in the motors.
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:32 AM   #23
Boilermaker128

Drives: 2010 CobaltSSTC
50,000km ain't much on judging reliability...but I agree with you the LNF is a great motor minus the porous block issues of 08/09. My 2010 sstc is at 219,000km never had a motor issue yet. Stock 0-12k,gms1 12k-135k, trifecta 23psi 135k-160k, trifecta ECP 160k-219k.
Boilermaker128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:35 AM   #24
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
Your right it's not a lot of miles was just further then some of the engines on this forum. 219k and still going that's great. I had a few Veichles when I had my LNF so I just weekend drove it.
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #25
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I bought a 2015 Malibu LTZ and find it an awesome car. MPGs hover around 30 and the power is impressive. From a dead stop, the tires will spin when the turbo kicks in at about 30 mph. I understand there's a substantial Trifecta tune available for the 2.0T that gives it better than V6 performance and it matches other higher performance 2.0 turbo GM cars. It's a fun car that easily dusts the myriad of V8 pickups that think they're driving Corvettes and think the Malibu is easy prey...lol.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #26
sdmcss

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE, 1985 MCSS
They added a 3rd shift, remember? I am thinking that they are trying to catchup on production. They are currently producing 3.6L and 6.2 Coupes. They will have to add more staff to add in the 4Cly and Convertible in all three models (6.2L, 3.6L, and 4Cly) This will put them behind just a bit. It doesn't always have to be an engine problem. Just a process problem. Until that is confirmed from the horses mouth, people will assume it is a R&D issue.
sdmcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #27
fitguy913

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmcss View Post
They added a 3rd shift, remember? I am thinking that they are trying to catchup on production. They are currently producing 3.6L and 6.2 Coupes. They will have to add more staff to add in the 4Cly and Convertible in all three models (6.2L, 3.6L, and 4Cly) This will put them behind just a bit. It doesn't always have to be an engine problem. Just a process problem. Until that is confirmed from the horses mouth, people will assume it is a R&D issue.
There has been plenty of evidence that this motor wasn't working well on other platforms though, so it is very well possible that GM wanted to go back to the drawing board with this motor to make sure everything is done right...
Old 01-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #28
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
We'll likely not know the reasons as to why....GM would not likely release potentially exploitable information without being forced to.

Better late than a grenade.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote