Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #127
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I know it was hard getting them in the first place but is there a way to curve them a bit to fit the wheel arch? Being straight like that just looks like an afterthought and in my opinion does not flow well with the curves in the rest of the design.
and have them parallel on the bottom of the scoops to the rockers.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #128
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
lower the roof line
camaro2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #129
whamslam3
Camaro King [^*^*^]

Drives: Apollo 11 Camaro IOM
the sides look MUCH better now nice work
Old 10-21-2013, 04:55 AM   #130
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I know it was hard getting them in the first place but is there a way to curve them a bit to fit the wheel arch? Being straight like that just looks like an afterthought and in my opinion does not flow well with the curves in the rest of the design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
and have them parallel on the bottom of the scoops to the rockers.
I assure you these are a lot more than an afterthought. I tried just about every style of intake you can imagine in all kinds of sizes from small to eating up half the side of the car; none of them looked "right". These are functional and simplistic even though they are not simple by any means. It's a strobe design with each vent increasing in size as you go front to back. The upper and lower angles also change as you go backwards. The upper line follows the slope of the upper fender line, and the lower line follows the slope of the coke bottle pinch line. I don't recall seeing anything quite like these anywhere else which is one of the reasons why I like them. They fit; they're functional, clean, minimalist, yet fairly bold and sophisticated without being crude. Putting a curve on the edges of the intakes would require curving each of the panels that goes into the car. That would look really weird and "scoopy" from pretty much every angle. It's totally unnecessary function-wise and I think that's exactly what it would look like if I attempted it. There's already a lot of geometry going on with 2 different slope angles for the top and bottom, and 3 different sizes of intakes, and all of them curving from top to bottom and front to back.

If you were standing next to this car and walked around looking at it from different angles, your eye would follow the flow of the lines and it would feel more like it "belongs". Look at them in relation to the car design itself; not comparing them to anything else on any other car. Because these are different than what you usually see on cars, these would probably fall into the "it will grow on you" category as far as coming to like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2lt View Post
lower the roof line
The roof line is already quite low. From the top of the roof to the ground is only 50 inches. It's already pushing it to be a 4-seater; lowering the roof even more would make it too cramped for this kind of car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whamslam3 View Post
the sides look MUCH better now nice work
Thank you!

Here you can see the angles of the body lines comparing them to the angles of the side scoop. Notice how the flow of the lines from the back of the scoop towards the front follow the upper fender line and the coke bottle pinch line.

Name:  2016 Camaro orange1.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  78.7 KB
Name:  2016 Camaro orange2.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  95.2 KB

And just for interest and fun here's a shot of it in the dark with just the lights on. I put the 3rd brake light in the back of the shark fin on the roof.

Name:  2016 Camaro night lights.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  64.6 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #131
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
It seems that is a lot of venting for rear brakes...lol. Your vents give the car a mid engine look and I think the vents would be better served up front to get heat out of the engine bay. With that being said I really like them. They are simple and clean yet give the car a more racy look. The suggestion of them being curved I think doesn't work. I have tried several different curved vents in back and the car just seems to like the straight lines better.

It reminds me of 80s Ferraris in a lot of ways which is clean straight lines with some curves thrown in. Your design has a feel of going backwards in design yet looks fresh. This is due entirely of modern design going all bangle. I never liked that look except on some cars but it seems all automakers are using that design language. Thanks for trying something different.
ssrs396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #132
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
As long as its not as bad of a design transition like the ford explorer.Good job on the new camaro draft. Did you use solidworks?

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #133
ssrs396

I also would like something like this.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #134
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs396 View Post
It seems that is a lot of venting for rear brakes...lol. Your vents give the car a mid engine look and I think the vents would be better served up front to get heat out of the engine bay. With that being said I really like them. They are simple and clean yet give the car a more racy look. The suggestion of them being curved I think doesn't work. I have tried several different curved vents in back and the car just seems to like the straight lines better.

It reminds me of 80s Ferraris in a lot of ways which is clean straight lines with some curves thrown in. Your design has a feel of going backwards in design yet looks fresh. This is due entirely of modern design going all bangle. I never liked that look except on some cars but it seems all automakers are using that design language. Thanks for trying something different.
These vents aren't just for brakes. In addition to brake cooling my concept calls for the transmission and differential coolers to be back there too; one for each side. This makes for a much shorter plumbing run for the coolers and moves the weight from the very front of the car (where you don't want it) to the back axle which would help with overall weight balance. The shorter lines would also weigh less and require less coolant which would save weight.

If you played with the vent styles like I have, then you do understand why I settled on this particular design. This is a no-frills performance design; not a show car design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbheat View Post
As long as its not as bad of a design transition like the ford explorer.Good job on the new camaro draft. Did you use solidworks?
Thank you! No I'm using Maxon's Cinema 4D. It's an old version I bought about 11 years ago but never got around to using. Surprisingly it runs and works quite well on my 2009 iMac. It's really top-notch software... I just wish I could afford the top-notch pricing of the newest version lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs396 View Post
I also would like something like this.
You know I've spent some time looking into a front vent like that and I've decided not to go that route for several reasons. One, the engine compartment heat would vent out the top anyways (heat rises) so in addition to a working hood vent system, I'm also looking into a fender vent system of some kind. Two, since I started thinking about it I've been looking at other cars on the road and I've seen that front side-vent style used heavily on Dodge cars, and a LOT of other cars have variations on that theme including the new Stingray. Because it's so "trendy" and I don't think actually does all that much, I'm not going that route to help keep this Camaro design looking unique and more purposeful. (Don't take that personally; I know you've really been set on a side vent of some kind. I could probably put whatever design you think would look good on a version and do some renderings for you if you want to have them for wallpapers or something.)

This concept isn't designed for market trends; it's designed for function, for power, for aerodynamics and to be a sleek, solid, bold American design that doesn't look like a wannabe anything. This is a Camaro... 'nuff said.

And now for some revisions...

I made a complete duplicate of the original project file and I'm playing with some variations. For this version I've gone with my original idea of the rear fender flowing almost straight into the rear winglets. I've lowered the hood bulge profile to make the front of the car look less bulky. A lot of little tweaks and adjustments to make the overall car look more unified and less like a 3-piece design with the front, middle and back not feeling quite like they're connected. I think this was what some commenters were seeing when they were saying that the side view looked "off" somehow.

Here you can see on this white rendering the new rear fender line.

Name:  2016 Camaro Rev1.jpg
Views: 3016
Size:  78.8 KB

This render shows the front with the less bulky hood.

Name:  2016 Camaro Rev1 butter.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  75.5 KB

And of course, Blue Angel next generation. (It took quite awhile to figure out how to get the right color blue enamel-look but this is pretty close!)

Name:  2016 Camaro Blue Angel Rev1.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  91.4 KB
Name:  2016 Camaro Blue Angel Rev1a.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  64.3 KB
Name:  2016 Camaro Blue Angel Rev1b.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  100.0 KB

I think the outside of the car is just about done. The hood vent system and door handles are next and that's about it for the outside. Now I need to put in a steering wheel and get something going for the dash and interior.

Then after all that's done, start working on wings and aero pieces for the Z/28.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #135
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
These vents aren't just for brakes. In addition to brake cooling my concept calls for the transmission and differential coolers to be back there too; one for each side. This makes for a much shorter plumbing run for the coolers and moves the weight from the very front of the car (where you don't want it) to the back axle which would help with overall weight balance. The shorter lines would also weigh less and require less coolant which would save weight.

If you played with the vent styles like I have, then you do understand why I settled on this particular design. This is a no-frills performance design; not a show car design.

You know I've spent some time looking into a front vent like that and I've decided not to go that route for several reasons. One, the engine compartment heat would vent out the top anyways (heat rises) so in addition to a working hood vent system, I'm also looking into a fender vent system of some kind. Two, since I started thinking about it I've been looking at other cars on the road and I've seen that front side-vent style used heavily on Dodge cars, and a LOT of other cars have variations on that theme including the new Stingray. Because it's so "trendy" and I don't think actually does all that much, I'm not going that route to help keep this Camaro design looking unique and more purposeful. (Don't take that personally; I know you've really been set on a side vent of some kind. I could probably put whatever design you think would look good on a version and do some renderings for you if you want to have them for wallpapers or something.)

This concept isn't designed for market trends; it's designed for function, for power, for aerodynamics and to be a sleek, solid, bold American design that doesn't look like a wannabe anything. This is a Camaro... 'nuff said.

Don't know if it was mentioned but the front bottom light / vent should look something like the ZL1...making the space in between the head light and vent look much smaller.(too big flat spot for me) besides that your doing great.
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #136
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Based off the 5th gen, I'm guessing for the 6th Gen Chevy will put out a fantastic looking car with poor visibility and paint the frequently chips....and I'll buy it and drive the hell out of it!

Yes, i know this doesnt add any value....but atleast put some quality paint on the thing!

Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #137
ssrs396

Quote:

Well if its for all that function than I am good with it. Still looks mid engine, not that that is a bad thing. Like I said before I like it.

Quote:
Thank you but you are putting enough work into this already. I don't know about trendy, I just think the vent actually is functional and also helps define the front fender and body indent. Your rear vents look great but if I was going to go without rear vents then I would want something similar to what I did with the front that's all.

Quote:
And now for some revisions...

I made a complete duplicate of the original project file and I'm playing with some variations. For this version I've gone with my original idea of the rear fender flowing almost straight into the rear winglets. I've lowered the hood bulge profile to make the front of the car look less bulky. A lot of little tweaks and adjustments to make the overall car look more unified and less like a 3-piece design with the front, middle and back not feeling quite like they're connected. I think this was what some commenters were seeing when they were saying that the side view looked "off" somehow.

Here you can see on this white rendering the new rear fender line.

Attachment 567713

This render shows the front with the less bulky hood.

Attachment 567717

And of course, Blue Angel next generation. (It took quite awhile to figure out how to get the right color blue enamel-look but this is pretty close!)

Attachment 567714
Attachment 567715
Attachment 567716

I think the outside of the car is just about done. The hood vent system and door handles are next and that's about it for the outside. Now I need to put in a steering wheel and get something going for the dash and interior.

Then after all that's done, start working on wings and aero pieces for the Z/28.

Ok now I like that Blue Angel treatment and the body line on that back 3/4 shot. However I like the body line on the side shot of the orange car before......go figure..lol
Old 10-24-2013, 03:10 AM   #138
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

These are radiosity renders; they're the most accurate but they take half an hour each for my computer to render the image.

Name:  2016 Camaro Blue Angel Radiosity.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  112.7 KB
Name:  2016 Camaro white Radiosity.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  96.2 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #139
Vjc834

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Extremely square and ugly . Sorry but you are going backwards.
Vjc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #140
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Doc, seeing the design in 3d really makes that fascia look like a slab. I wonder if you edited the 2d model to open the front end a bit. Here's a very quick edit of your sketch.

.............................................Your Version........................................... .................................................. .. My Version