Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-22-2021, 01:13 PM   #15
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole View Post
At around what temp should the thermostat open? So there’s a good chance it overheated because of air trapped in the system? Should I worry about any damage because it overheated?
You can't know how hot an area was that had an air pocket because there isn't a temperature sensor in that location, e.g. everywhere possible.

It can cause heads to crack or warp, gaskets to fail, rings to lose strength etc. There is nothing you can do about it now. Same as when a radiator hose fails and your engine overheats. Just try not to run it if it is overheating but after it happens nothing you can do. Drive it and if it needs repairs you'll find out because it doesn't run right or there is water in the oil or it's losing coolant.

This is always a risk buying a used car. Did the previous owner overheat it? Failed radiators and hoses often spray and you'll see brown stains around the engine compartment from that. You don't know if they stopped immediatly and it's ok or they drove home and the engine is ruined and you shouldn't buy it.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:50 PM   #16
nicole

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS
I’ve driven it 3 times, no overheating coolant stays between 180F-190F, I’ve checked the radiator coolant is still at the neck and the same color, oil looks the same. No smoke from under the hood or tailpipe, no leaks under the car once shut off or parked.
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:55 PM   #17
nicole

I did find the rubber hose that I’d assume is supposed to be hooked up to the reservoir if I had one. Pretty sure it’s the hose on the left of the radiator cap?
Old 05-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #18
nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
You can't know how hot an area was that had an air pocket because there isn't a temperature sensor in that location, e.g. everywhere possible.

It can cause heads to crack or warp, gaskets to fail, rings to lose strength etc. There is nothing you can do about it now. Same as when a radiator hose fails and your engine overheats. Just try not to run it if it is overheating but after it happens nothing you can do. Drive it and if it needs repairs you'll find out because it doesn't run right or there is water in the oil or it's losing coolant.

This is always a risk buying a used car. Did the previous owner overheat it? Failed radiators and hoses often spray and you'll see brown stains around the engine compartment from that. You don't know if they stopped immediatly and it's ok or they drove home and the engine is ruined and you shouldn't buy it.

I’ve driven it 3 times, no overheating coolant stays between 180F-190F, I’ve checked the radiator coolant is still at the neck and the same color, oil looks the same. No smoke from under the hood or tailpipe, no leaks under the car once shut off or parked.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:21 PM   #19
nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasthatacop? View Post
Kinda, there's a 3/8" rubber hose near the radiator cap that takes excess pressure and liquid to dump into your would be reservoir. You may not have one if your reservoir is gone, but there should be a small overflow hose somewhere. You need to replace that reservoir if you don't have one.
Don't worry about hitting 260 that one time. I changed the water pump and radiator on my L99 last week and fluid heated up to 250 while I was burping the radiator.
I did find the rubber hose that I’d assume is supposed to be hooked up to the reservoir if I had one. Pretty sure it’s the hose on the left of the radiator cap?
Old 05-22-2021, 08:38 PM   #20
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
I fairly recently had the same thing as the OP. Overheated at 2 miles out. I got the car home, let it cool down and then ran it with the radiator cap off. Every time the coolant level dropped I added. Eventually it never dropped much below the cap. Then I put the cap back on and did a similar procedure with the overflow tank. No problems since then.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:21 PM   #21
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasthatacop? View Post
You need to replace that reservoir if you don't have one. .
THIS +1!!! Modern engine cooling system 101! Without this you'll be sucking air back into the system as it cools down. This should be the first item on your agenda Monday morning. Call in sick to work if you need to. If your boss has a problem refer him to this thread.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:26 PM   #22
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
With the radiator cap off, it could boil over and make the problem worse as the coolant goes near 212F (the boiling point of water at sea level). A 50 50 or more mix of dexcool can raise that 15F. The 20psi radiator cap IN PLACE raises it to about 270F.

Overheating your engine is the worst thing you can do to it beside over revving it. That's why I suggest putting the cap back on if it is running or not cooled down.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #23
jprodun1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I40ZQWE...AE8VHV4DPJ79YG

Never used it myself, but friend love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jprodun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:11 PM   #24
nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
With the radiator cap off, it could boil over and make the problem worse as the coolant goes near 212F (the boiling point of water at sea level). A 50 50 or more mix of dexcool can raise that 15F. The 20psi radiator cap IN PLACE raises it to about 270F.

Overheating your engine is the worst thing you can do to it beside over revving it. That's why I suggest putting the cap back on if it is running or not cooled down.
It’s shouldn’t reach the 270F while driving or idling though right? That basically means overheating?
Old 05-24-2021, 07:12 PM   #25
nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
I fairly recently had the same thing as the OP. Overheated at 2 miles out. I got the car home, let it cool down and then ran it with the radiator cap off. Every time the coolant level dropped I added. Eventually it never dropped much below the cap. Then I put the cap back on and did a similar procedure with the overflow tank. No problems since then.
Did you figure out why it overheated in the first place?
Old 05-24-2021, 07:14 PM   #26
nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by romcjr View Post
Drained and refilled mine a month or so ago . After refilling I started mine with the cap off and let it get warm enough to open everything up . It burped a few times , shut it off , topped it off along with the overflow tank . Put cap on , drove it a bit , and have had no issues . My temp runs between 194* and 206* on my 30 mi. drive to work .
How warm did it get exactly, for everything to open up? And then you just filled the overflow tank up to the max?
Old 05-24-2021, 07:16 PM   #27
nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
THIS +1!!! Modern engine cooling system 101! Without this you'll be sucking air back into the system as it cools down. This should be the first item on your agenda Monday morning. Call in sick to work if you need to. If your boss has a problem refer him to this thread.
It’s crazy to me that I’m the year I’ve had it I never realized it was missing the reservoir!!! How does it sucking in air affect the car? Also would you happen to know when coolant goes to and from the reservoir?
Old 05-24-2021, 07:19 PM   #28
nicole

Thanks to all of you that have answered! I’ve been paranoid since it happened and am new to a Chevy engine lol I’m typically a Ford girl �� the times I’ve driven it have been short drives and the coolant stays at 180F-185F while driving and 185F-189F while at red lights or parked. Oil temp went up to about 205F. Is this about normal? Still no signs of leaks or smoke anywhere, does this mean I’m good and basically left air in the system and was low on coolant?

Tags
2015 camaro, coolant temperature, overheating, reservoir