Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
ChevyCowboy
Lining Up!

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS, Summit white, M6,
Send a message via MSN to ChevyCowboy
Small problem after cam swap

Just completed the install of my night fury cam package, obviously new cam, push rods, and springs, retainers, seats and seals. Everything went smoothly, car starts right up. Got almost a squeak noise from the passenger side cylindr bank, sounds like its coming from the valve train around cylinder number 4, any ideas? Check the video out, you can hear the squeak noise

Old 04-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCowboy View Post
Just completed the install of my night fury cam package, obviously new cam, push rods, and springs, retainers, seats and seals. Everything went smoothly, car starts right up. Got almost a squeak noise from the passenger side cylindr bank, sounds like its coming from the valve train around cylinder number 4, any ideas? Check the video out, you can hear the squeak noise
That sounds very similar to a lifter that may have turned and is skidding over the cam lobe instead of rolling over the cam lobe. Don't ask how I know.

But hopefully its not that bad and just in the rocker arm as mentioned by dynosteve. Either way I would not run the engine any more until you pull that valve cover and inspect the valve train.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
ChevyCowboy
Lining Up!

Hownwould i check to see if the lifter turned?
Old 04-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
SSDan

Quote:
Hownwould i check to see if the lifter turned?
First pull the valve cover - check all the rocker arms - looking for anything obvious - like a loose rocker arm, missing spring lock, broken spring - etc. If all looked good then I'd go ahead and back off all the rocker arms, reseat them to make sure they are sitting on the springs and pushrods correctly and re-torque just to make sure. After that if the noise is still there then its likely to be a lifter. Unfortunately the only way to inspect the lifters on the LS engines is to pull the cylinder heads.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 04-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
jvoisel

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Positive it isn't in the belt drive? Pull belt off and start it just to make sure. Then I'd pull valve covers and spark plugs, spin motor over by hand and see if you can duplicate noise(doubt it but worth a shot).

Personally I'd pull the cam before I pulled the heads.. If there's a lifter sitting sideways on the cam you'll see the damage quick
Old 04-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
That_Guy

Drives: n/a
^ What he said.

However, there's a thread floating around about the whine after cam install here and on tech where the cams were pulled and there was no damage.
That_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
ChevyCowboy
Lining Up!

Positive its not the belt drive. Just tried switching the suspect rockers to the other side and retorqueing everything thing down and the noise is still there, must be a lifter
Old 04-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
SSDan

Quote:
Positive its not the belt drive. Just tried switching the suspect rockers to the other side and retorqueing everything thing down and the noise is still there, must be a lifter
Bummer! How did you keep the lifters in their bores when you swapped the cam? Using dowel rods like many others have done? Just asking to see how maybe a lifter could have been dinged or turned as part of te cam swap.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 04-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
jvoisel

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post
^ What he said.

However, there's a thread floating around about the whine after cam install here and on tech where the cams were pulled and there was no damage.
I remember reading about that. What was the outcome?
Old 04-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
That_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvoisel View Post
I remember reading about that. What was the outcome?
If I recall, they said it was a defect in the cam and like the third cam fixed the issue
Old 04-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
That_Guy

Just heard the video, definitely a different sound than what they had. I would pull the cam and check for damage.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #12
ChevyCowboy
Lining Up!

Pulled the passenger side head where thennoise was
Coming from and everything appears to be the way it should, all the lifters on the passenger side were in straight. Im almost wanting to say it was a rocker but why would it make the noise right after a cam swap
Old 04-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
use a mechanics stethoscope or piece of rubber hose if its the valve train it will narrow down the area when holding it directly over the valve cover in various places, and yes sounds like bearing rattle and belt squeak to me.......
Old 04-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #14
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Odd man out here. It could be lifter/cam related.

BUT id suspect exhaust leak and check that first. Seen it before and you will chase your tail over it!
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote