Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #99
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
Reality is a B, don't know what to say.........The facts are the facts, these cars are already getting pounded on depreciation....I guess you think that everyone should just blindly go into the night, without knowing what is really going on (because they are too exited to look). I don't....If I can save someone from being upside down $15,000 IN 6 MONTHS, i am going to do it. I wish I would have know when I bought my last one and I CAN afford it. I get it, you are a GM/Camaro fan and that's great, but don't let your dislike of dissenting opinions affect someone that might get financially hurt because they had blinders on.

I agree the initial depreciation of this car is steeper than I would like. I am curious to see if the depreciation levels out in year 3 or so. I find it hard to believe the SS cars are going to sell for $15k in 3 years, which is what it looks like what will happen when you can buy new 1SS off the lot for under $30k right now. I am thinking low $20k range for 1SS cars and mid $20k range for 2SS cars in year 3.

There is way too much car here for it it be worth less than 20k in 3 years. Nothing else can match its performance for the money at those used prices. So, I agree with you that you can lose $10-15k in depreciation in 6 months but I also think you may lose the same 15k or over 3 years. So, as long as you don't buy new and plan to sell in 6 months then you should be ok. Time will tell.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:01 AM   #100
motorheadkev

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT-217CI
WE ARE STUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
I agree the initial depreciation of this car is steeper than I would like. I am curious to see if the depreciation levels out in year 3 or so. I find it hard to believe the SS cars are going to sell for $15k in 3 years, which is what it looks like what will happen when you can buy new 1SS off the lot for under $30k right now. I am thinking low $20k range for 1SS cars and mid $20k range for 2SS cars in year 3.

There is way too much car here for it it be worth less than 20k in 3 years. Nothing else can match its performance for the money at those used prices. So, I agree with you that you can lose $10-15k in depreciation in 6 months but I also think you may lose the same 15k or over 3 years. So, as long as you don't buy new and plan to sell in 6 months then you should be ok. Time will tell.
We need to hold on to our cars for 6 years then its worth the cost.
that's fine by me.
motorheadkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #101
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Visibility kind of sucked but felt no worse than the Challenger really.
If you think the visibility in the 6th gen Camaro is on par ('no worse than') with the visibility in the Challenger, you could not have driven the Challenger then.

The Challenger windows - on either door or the windshield or back glass - are HUGE compared to the Camaro. Looking out of them is like sitting in your living room's super comfy Barco-lounger and looking out a picture window in your house vs being strapped in a fighter jet and staring through the gun slits in the Camaro. Not necessarily a bad thing depending upon what you want and can live with; just hugely different.

There are a lot of things the Challenger can be knocked on - weight especially as well as overall size/girth - but man, visibility out of the cabin is definitely not one of them.

Now, if you are comparing the two cars' features, the driveability, the fit and finish, the power, exhaust note, overall performance, etc? Oh yeah, the Camaro has it on the Scat Pack in spades.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #102
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
backeddy - emotions work like blinders.

there are sweet spots on when to sell your car. I made out great on my 14 GT, and I'm sure i will do just as well, if not better with this car.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #103
MuhThugga
Poppycock

Drives: Pontiac GTO
I find it funny how those who bought the car feel that saying they don't have an issue with visibility somehow voids the visibility criticisms. Of course you don't have an issue with the visibility. You bought the car. It doesn't mean that others' complaints aren't valid.

The high beltline is rather annoying to me. I like to cruise with my arm on the sill. It is impossible to do that comfortably in the Camaro. They should really put a sign out next to the cars.
Attached Images

MuhThugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #104
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga View Post
I find it funny how those who bought the car feel that saying they don't have an issue with visibility somehow voids the visibility criticisms. Of course you don't have an issue with the visibility. You bought the car. It doesn't mean that others' complaints aren't valid.

The high beltline is rather annoying to me. I like to cruise with my arm on the sill. It is impossible to do that comfortably in the Camaro. They should really put a sign out next to the cars.
Anyone who says they got in a gen 5 or 6 Camaro for the very first time and said "hey I don't get it I can see just fine" is lying. It takes some getting used to. Does it bother me anymore. No, not at all. But we can't pretend it's not real. Every single person I've ever given a ride in my car said "holy sh** how do you see out of this thing." Once you're used to it, it's no longer an issue. Plus the high belt line looks so bad ass.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #105
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Anyone who says they got in a gen 5 or 6 Camaro for the very first time and said "hey I don't get it I can see just fine" is lying. It takes some getting used to. Does it bother me anymore. No, not at all. But we can't pretend it's not real. Every single person I've ever given a ride in my car said "holy sh** how do you see out of this thing." Once you're used to it, it's no longer an issue. Plus the high belt line looks so bad ass.
^^^This^^^ says it all. It's all about what you can live with or tolerate.

Once you're used to it, it's not an issue and you learn not to pull too close in on a stop light, etc. And the look from the outside is classic so it's cool.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #106
MuhThugga
Poppycock

Drives: Pontiac GTO
But when you step out of something like this to go look at a Camaro:

Visibility becomes a concern. Also, the 235i has more backseat room and trunk space than the Camaro.
MuhThugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #107
jp23rockstar

Drives: None
Quote:

Visibility becomes a concern. Also, the 235i has more backseat room and trunk space than the Camaro.
But yet it's a smaller car than the Camaro. I've sat in both and prefer the 235i a lot more, so you give up some performance but it's a car I would enjoy a lot more.
jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #108
thescout6

Drives: 16 2SS
November 2016 Camaro Sales Figures (and vs. Mustang & Challenger)

Quote:

My wife has an M2 and every time I drive it I'm like holy sh*t I feel like I'm in a fish bowl. You can see almost too much it's really distracting. I don't k ow how I had BMWs for so many years. It took me two days tops to get used to the belt line. Now the Camaro feels natural, I'll even say perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thescout6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #109
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
guess I was smart not to buy the new 1LE.
Quote:
Reality is a B, don't know what to say.........The facts are the facts, these cars are already getting pounded on depreciation....I guess you think that everyone should just blindly go into the night, without knowing what is really going on (because they are too exited to look). I don't....If I can save someone from being upside down $15,000 IN 6 MONTHS, i am going to do it. I wish I would have know when I bought my last one and I CAN afford it. I get it, you are a GM/Camaro fan and that's great, but don't let your dislike of dissenting opinions affect someone that might get financially hurt because they had blinders on.
I am not a GM fan, I am an enthusiast. It is one thing to point out the car's shortcomings and another to attempt to justify your purchase in almost every post.

It comes off as insecure.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:57 PM   #110
16Panther

Drives: 2016 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
I am not a GM fan, I am an enthusiast. It is one thing to point out the car's shortcomings and another to attempt to justify your purchase in almost every post.

It comes off as insecure.
I'd be confused, PO'd and feel like I'd been taken for a sucker, too, if I hadn't bought as part of the 20% off program.

The LFX in the Gen5's used to cost the same to produce as the V8 but GM marked up the SS $5000 to get one. If I'm doing the math right, in the Gen6 they're hitting SS owners up $10000.

I'm all for making a buck but that is serious pile of cash to ask people to commit to. The market is answering back that its not worth it.

The 20% deals are great if you get one but they're messing with the value perception customers have and rubbing it in the face of customers that were only getting a $1000 rebate a few months ago.

How can you feel secure in your decision when the manufacturer undercuts your investment every month?
16Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:29 AM   #111
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Do you not get brembos, a tr6060, wider wheels and tires, stronger rear, having to warranty parts living with 450ftlb torque, with that 5k for the SS?

Look at what MB charges for their S AMGs over the AMG which is usually a badge and a tune to up boost

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 12-10-2016 at 07:48 AM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:29 AM   #112
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Panther View Post
I'd be confused, PO'd and feel like I'd been taken for a sucker, too, if I hadn't bought as part of the 20% off program.

The LFX in the Gen5's used to cost the same to produce as the V8 but GM marked up the SS $5000 to get one. If I'm doing the math right, in the Gen6 they're hitting SS owners up $10000.

I'm all for making a buck but that is serious pile of cash to ask people to commit to. The market is answering back that its not worth it.

The 20% deals are great if you get one but they're messing with the value perception customers have and rubbing it in the face of customers that were only getting a $1000 rebate a few months ago.

How can you feel secure in your decision when the manufacturer undercuts your investment every month?

You can't feel secure but that is what makes a market. People deciding how much to pay. It looks like GM wanted to take the car upmarket and ask a bit more for it. However, the market for sports cars has been shrinking year after year and the for the most part the loyal Camaro fan base isn't willing to pay more or trade up from their gen5s.

You also have to keep in mind that most of these 20% deals are on Camaros that are over a year old now. If you bought a new Camaro in the first months it came out then you lost 10% the moment you drove it off the lot, 10 months later you lost another 10% as your new car is a year old now. There is your 20% in year one. You lose another 10-15% or so in year two. The depreciation slows down in year three. Think of it this way. The banks set the 36month residual on an SS in the 55% range of MSRP range. So, the even the banks are telling you the car will depreciate 45% in the first 36 months. If your patient and your timing is good you can help to minimize the new car depreciation woes but no one is immune, unless you got a great deal on a Toyota Tacoma or Subaru WRX. Those cars seem to hold their value like none other.

The best deal is the guy who's buys that lightly used garage kept 36 month old Camaro that is still basically brand new for 45% off of new MSRP. Buying new cars only makes financial sense if you keep them long enough or if you just have the disposable income and don't care.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote