Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-04-2020, 07:45 AM   #1
jp23rockstar

Drives: None
2017 Camaro purchase?

Here's some background on the vehicle I have currently and what cars I'm looking at. I currently have a 2008 Buick Lucerne CXL V6. It has 111k miles and there's some minor issues with it, paint fade from the sun, needs a new thermostat sensor/thermostat, possibly the tire sensors need replaced. So it's certainly up there in terms of miles. However, I've been looking at a 2013 BMW 335 series xdrive for 108k miles for just under 15k fully loaded, all options. That car is negotiable.

On the other hand I did come across this nice Camaro. https://www.bmwofwarwick.com/invento...ff1r75h0199713

I did get to check it out in person, everything seemed to be in good shape. I haven't test drove it yet, but I have driven the same exact vehicle only in convertible form as a rental for about a week. This would most likely be my only car. With that said, snow tires are a must up in New England. The only options are auto which is great for daily driving and sunroof. The things that I need to check on if it's a non smoker car (deal breaker, the BMW was not, very sensitive to smoke). Also, the stitching on the passenger's seat at the top where you move the seat forward is coming undone a little bit (fit and finish related). What would a good price be? $23,500 and fix that issue? Would I enjoy this car be more enjoyable than the 335i xdrive sedan? I think so. Thoughts please.
jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:37 AM   #2
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
BMW's are nice driver cars....but they are a maintenance nightmare unless you get a maintenance package- which are pretty costly too. Or unless you can do a lot of the work yourself and get the parts from aftermarket sources. An example is brakes- pads and rotors will set you back 2-3K. My friend has a BMW 135 IS and wow is maintenance expensive from the BMW dealer.

I'd opt for the Camaro but beware of the A8 shuddering issues if you buy the automatic.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
The Carfax says the car was a rental. I'd stay away from it, especially since it's had 4 different owners. I just don't trust sports cars that were formerly rentals.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Very clean 2017 1SS. Not a bad price but a rental with 4 owners makes me skeptical. Probably no issues and you would still have the 5 year/60,000 mile drivetrain warranty in effect. With the car being a rental, regular maintenance was probably done at the scheduled intervals so go ahead and do a test drive and see how it drives and runs!
Old 05-04-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Just wondering about the wheels though as they don’t look like the silver 6th gen versions(too dark) and thinking they might be off a 5th gen or maybe have been painted or something else.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #6
trohde78

Drives: '17 Red Hot 2SS 6MT
Just my .02 cents on the BMW. I had a '09 335i, and a '15 435i xdrive. I absolutely loved the '09, but found the '15 with the xdrive to be quite boring to drive, as you couldn't really get it to do anything fun.
trohde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:39 PM   #7
slimjim2525

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Rental, run away.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:53 PM   #8
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp23rockstar View Post
Here's some background on the vehicle I have currently and what cars I'm looking at. I currently have a 2008 Buick Lucerne CXL V6. It has 111k miles and there's some minor issues with it, paint fade from the sun, needs a new thermostat sensor/thermostat, possibly the tire sensors need replaced. So it's certainly up there in terms of miles. However, I've been looking at a 2013 BMW 335 series xdrive for 108k miles for just under 15k fully loaded, all options. That car is negotiable.

On the other hand I did come across this nice Camaro. https://www.bmwofwarwick.com/invento...ff1r75h0199713

I did get to check it out in person, everything seemed to be in good shape. I haven't test drove it yet, but I have driven the same exact vehicle only in convertible form as a rental for about a week. This would most likely be my only car. With that said, snow tires are a must up in New England. The only options are auto which is great for daily driving and sunroof. The things that I need to check on if it's a non smoker car (deal breaker, the BMW was not, very sensitive to smoke). Also, the stitching on the passenger's seat at the top where you move the seat forward is coming undone a little bit (fit and finish related). What would a good price be? $23,500 and fix that issue? Would I enjoy this car be more enjoyable than the 335i xdrive sedan? I think so. Thoughts please.
BMWs cause problems.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #9
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
look for another camaro,BMWs devour money.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:16 PM   #10
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
Buy a Camaro. I own a Mercedes too and most of the issues are electrical. I repair my own vehicles. If you were to take a Bmw to a shop for any type of repair it'll cost you an arm and a leg. Forget the dealer, they will charge you $600 just to change the spark plugs. Imagine an electrical issue. Once a Beamer hits 100,000 miles the problems keep coming, no matter how good the car was taken care of. German cars are nice to have but be prepared to dish out a lot of money. Just my 2 cents from personal experience.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:37 AM   #11
jp23rockstar

Drives: None
I'm going Friday to take the Camaro for a test drive and review the exterior and interior. The carfax is wrong in regards to the mileage it has 35,802. I found out that it's a non smoker car. I'm certain to bring up the stitching on the passenger seat is coming undone which I believe is a defect for the 2016 and 2017 Camaro models. Also, I noticed looking back on the pictures I took that the paint in the front is weak and to see if they fix that. Anyone know if the Camaro suffers from bad paint quality in particular the front bumper section right under the Chevy emblem? That's where I see a couple of marks that paint is chipping.
jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:20 AM   #12
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Just wondering about the wheels though as they don’t look like the silver 6th gen versions(too dark) and thinking they might be off a 5th gen or maybe have been painted or something else.
Those are the base 6th gen SS wheels ('16-18), but they do like they've been painted a darker color.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #13
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp23rockstar View Post
I'm going Friday to take the Camaro for a test drive and review the exterior and interior. The carfax is wrong in regards to the mileage it has 35,802. I found out that it's a non smoker car. I'm certain to bring up the stitching on the passenger seat is coming undone which I believe is a defect for the 2016 and 2017 Camaro models. Also, I noticed looking back on the pictures I took that the paint in the front is weak and to see if they fix that. Anyone know if the Camaro suffers from bad paint quality in particular the front bumper section right under the Chevy emblem? That's where I see a couple of marks that paint is chipping.
Based on where you live and I think you said will be your only car. I probably would go with the BMW since it is all wheel drive, just check all the records. Or for the price of that Camaro you probably could get a newer WRX.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:09 PM   #14
oftenimitated

Drives: 2004 Honda Civic+2011 Camaro 2SS
I would stay away from BMW with over 100k miles, unless 1 owner with all maint records and even then I would be hesitant

I had a 2014 320 xdrive w/40k miles and was not impressed. Im not in a big city either and trying to find someone to work on BMW is harder, as most dealers don't have their specific computers because they cost so much and they dont see enough of them

When I first bought the BMW it was under warranty, and that was great because they would give a new loaner when you took it in and nothing out of pocket.
oftenimitated is offline   Reply With Quote