Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
10 Years Ago Today

It was exactly 10 years ago today, that I first saw and picked up my 2010 1SS Camaro. I had ordered it in May of 2009, and waited until August 17, 2009 before I got it. I ordered it sight unseen, having never seen the color, nor even a car. At the time there weren't any in the dealerships; I just knew I wanted it. I paid $34k for it, and put at least that much into it to make it a great track car. I documented that journey in my build thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45165 and my car was awarded Camaro of the Week for May 11, 2011. That was when they were featuring a car every week, there were so many being sold and modded by the owners.

I set it up for road course HPDE days, and it has performed flawlessly. It was a great car then, and still is. No problems or issues, even with all the mods. However, 10 years ago I was in my late 50's, and now I'm in my late 60's. I can tell you there's a big difference in how you feel and your energy levels in your late 60's compared to the 50's lol. In the course of those 10 years I had a job transfer and moved to another state which unfortunately doesn't have any road courses in it. It's also a state that has actual winters compared to southern California where I used to live, so driving a track setup in the winter on ultra high performance summer tires doesn't happen. Sadly this beautiful car basically sits in the garage on a battery tender most of the time. As of this morning, it only has 15,575 miles on it, but I'm going to take it out today for an anniversary drive. Probably go through a drive-thru burger joint, and enjoy the greatness of a car like this. It doesn't have all the fancy electronics the newest cars have now, but it goes and drives like the thoroughbred it is, and sounds fantastic. I know everything is going to paddle-shift automatics now, but there's nothing quite like 450 hp to the rear wheels through a custom exhaust, and shifting through 6 gears manually.

As I look at her sitting in the garage, I'm torn. I love this car, but it's a shame to have it just sit there, not being driven like it was set up to be. I'm now entertaining the idea of doing something I never thought I would; sell it. But I wouldn't consider selling it to just anyone; it would need to go to someone who would appreciate it for what it is, and take care of it. The interior still smells new like it did when I got it. Looks the same inside too; only difference is the custom Hurst short-throw shifter and shift knob.

It would have to go to someone who would take it to a road course and use it for what it was set up for; track days. I'm not even sure what to ask for it, considering I have almost $70k into it including the purchase price. I know it wouldn't sell for that much. I have two sets of wheels for it; the Enkei RPF1 track set with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires that are on it now, and a set of custom 3-piece forged aluminum rims I had made which cost $6k by themselves. They have the original tires still on them. If you look through the project build thread, I put a LOT into this car in many ways. It also has the signatures in the engine compartment of people no longer associated with the Camaro, including Scott Settlemire (the Fbodfather himself) who had to retire from GM, and Al Oppenheiser who was the chief engineer for Camaro at the time, and is no longer with the Camaro group. It's a very special Camaro. Whenever I take it out, it still draws attention, and people come up to me at gas stations when I'm gassing up and want to talk about it. It still gets people taking pictures of it.

I even still have the switchblade key fobs; I refused to let them butcher them because a couple of people were somehow able to hit their keys with their knee and accidentally shut the car off. I actually tried to do that; I sat in the car with the engine running, and did everything I could to try and hit the key fob with my knee, but couldn't even get close. I have no idea how that ever happened unless the people were really short and had the seat all the way up close to the steering wheel.

The original keys and key fobs; the small original factory placed GM logos on the sides just behind the front wheels (which a lot of owners removed) that GM stopped putting on the cars; the IBM (Imperial Blue Metallic) paint that was discontinued, due to the only factory in the world that made it having been ruined by an earthquake. It's those kinds of little things that add to the specialness of this car. I have the cutaway poster from the Oshawa factory in Canada that made it; (a factory that no longer makes Camaros) and the poster has the car's VIN on it and all the signatures of the people who worked on it as it made its way through the assembly line. It was sent to me by Super60, one of our forum members who worked at the factory at the time.

I have a lot of great memories attached to this car. It was such a great feeling to be a part of the debut of the 5th gen, with all the buzz and excitement. I got one of the early ones, and so few were on the streets that driving around in it was like being a rock star. The early community of owners were filled with such excitement and enthusiasm over this car, that I would spend hours every night on the forum reading and chatting about it, and I wasn't the only one.

A lot of memories come back to me whenever I look at it, and sit in it. First is the smell; it still smells inside like it did when I first got it. Amazing how even the smell brings back memories. It would be hard to let it go, but I know I'll never be back on the track again, and I'm getting too old now to drive it the way I used to. I have to decide if I really want to part with it, and then go through the angst of that actual process if I do.

10 years ago today...what a car.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
happy anniversary, I have always liked your color scheme.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
10 Years

10 Years for me (Aug 13, 2009)
Ordered also in May 09 and the car was built in July.
I remember feeling like a rock star, everyone stopped you to talk about the Camaro.
Still get Positive comments on what great shape it is in.
No plans to sell for now.
Whatever you do enjoy the ride.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
I share your sentiments Doc. My Camaro was ten years old last month on the fourth of July. Ordered it back in winter '08, like you sight unseen, not even a dealer brochure back then. I also have a IBM, 2SS. I have put a lot of mods into it over these ten years gone. Never tracked it like you have, just driven for pleasure. I have thought about selling it a few times, I have not driven her that much over the last few years. I'm in my mid fifties now and retiring soon, so maybe I can find more time to drive and maybe track my car soon. Like you, this car has a lot of memories for me. Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Great story and obviously you have a very tough decission to make. I know I will be holding on to both my Camaro and Corvette for as long as I can enjoy them and then, when the time comes, they will go to my granddaughters, both of whom have acquired my love of cars, know what I've put into them and I know will take care of them.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:25 AM   #6
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
I would suggest buying a set of winter tires and wheels. Go back to stock springs and loosen up the sways if it's to tight for the streets and drive it year-round. It's only going to cost you insurance and registration, right?

I turned 65 recently. when my left hip failed in 2014 I had to wonder about trading for an automatic. Fortunately, after I recovered I was just fine with the clutch. The same when a few years later my right shoulder was replaced. The worst part of that was right turns. Shifting wasn't an issue.

I am typing this at ~2AM because I can't sleep, my left shoulder pains me so much. I may need a new one of those soon.

I'm not afraid of the salt, my 1990 Beretta made it through 13 years of daily driving with no significant rust. A paint job would have been needed if I kept it any longer, but divide that cost over some years and that wouldn't be a significant expense. I've been driving my Camaro for the last 4 winters and it still looks like a garage queen.

I was retired when I bought my Camaro in 2011, driving less than 3,000 miles/year, not counting road trips. Even then I knew I might own it for the rest of my driving days. I still believe that.

It's my only car. I do have someone living with me who will go out if I need something when the weather is terrible, or I don't feel well enough to drive, or I need a ride to the doctor. So I don't need a second car.

Although I don't often drive hard enough to take full advantage of the Camaro's capabilities I can still leave a lot of drivers behind me. I still get compliments, it seems that will ever end. And I still love every minute behind the wheel.

Yesterday was a perfect weather day and I went for a joy ride. Spent an hour on some back roads and some higher speed 4-lanes. I am still smiling.

I suppose if I ever get to the point where I can't trust my brain enough to drive I will have to move it. But, by then, I probably won't notice. My oldest son will be my first choice. Hopefully he will give me a some rides when I feel like it.
I took my dad out a few weeks ago and he was loving it. Of course, we don't tell Mom. He's 90 now.

Maybe when you have to sell yours you can get a deal like that from the buyer.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:53 AM   #7
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
Everyone situation is different, most don’t think about that before speaking, but if it were me I’d say keep it. You’ll regret selling the car at some point after you do, and while you built the car for track use and if you don’t plan to track the car again, just keep it to enjoy whenever you want to get behind the wheel. Once you let it go it’s likely gone, someone might keep it nice or they might drive the crap out of it into the ground, or they might even total it. If you have ANY doubts about selling it, that means keep it.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:53 AM   #8
Joecruiser

Drives: 2014 2-SSRS Slushbox
What an interesting read, Doc. I'm going on 10 too, 10 months of blissed ownership.
I love this car.

Doc, I'm 58....CamaroFred stated his health issues..are you OK?
Why do you feel like you can't drive her anymore?

Demod it a bit...make it more streetable...and drive her like she needs to.
Best of luck!
Joecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote