Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #1
Chub2000

Drives: 2018 camaro zl1 , 2007 porsche GT3,
first track video worth watching

i dont know who this guy is, but he is a very impressive driver...i cant wait to get mine on track.

enjoy...

Chub2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
BigShow1960
BigShow

Drives: 2017 1 Camaro + Chevy Avalanche
I'm a track newbe, but I'm going to say that I didn't like the line that the blue and white Porsche was taking. The Porsche was clearly faster in the straight, the the Camaro had him in the corners. On the last lap, with the Porsche out of the way, the Camaro was pushing pretty hard and was a little squirly once or twice.
BigShow1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Once the Porsche got out of the way, he gained 6 sec on his lap.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
Chub2000

Drives: 2018 camaro zl1 , 2007 porsche GT3,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow1960 View Post
I'm a track newbe, but I'm going to say that I didn't like the line that the blue and white Porsche was taking. The Porsche was clearly faster in the straight, the the Camaro had him in the corners. On the last lap, with the Porsche out of the way, the Camaro was pushing pretty hard and was a little squirly once or twice.
i agree. the porsche drivers werent the best, but those cars should have been able to overcome a lot of driver errors. he did easily pass the lotus and z28 too. im sure that some of those drivers had some skill.
you could tell that the 1le's tires were getting greasy towards the end of the session.
all of that said it clearly proves these cars will be very fast on track. im feeling pretty good about my purchase right now.
Chub2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
What track is that looks
Like a good one ?
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #6
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub2000 View Post
i dont know who this guy is, but he is a very impressive driver...i cant wait to get mine on track.

enjoy...

Ha, that is my video! The one you posted was my brother driving, I have more of me driving. My brother and I are both HPDE instructors with Porsche Club, Chin, NASA and the national corvette museum. We were intentionally taking it easier through the tire grinding left handers at Barber as we co-drove my car all weekend. I'm running the stock Goodyears which were surprisingly good. Brakes are Hawk DTC 60's all 4 corners and SRF brake fluid. I had the car aligned before the event to a little more aggressive than Chevy recommends in the performance supplement.
Overall- the Camaro is absolutely insane on track. I can link a few more vids if you guys have interest.

Cheers-

Eric
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:10 PM   #7
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
I don't think he was really pushing. He was on a great line and on it sometimes and sometimes he was slow and just rolling through the turns.
He definitely knew the fast way around the track,and once he had it to himself. It really started passing by quickly.
Once you get a feel for your car, you're going to get your confidence up.
I'm coming from a 15 1LE and can't imagine the improvement. But apparently the 6th gen is just amazingly capable.
6000 - 04/05/2017 - Delivered!
67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #8
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Ha, that is my video! The one you posted was my brother driving, I have more of me driving. My brother and I are both HPDE instructors with Porsche Club, Chin, NASA and the national corvette museum. We were intentionally taking it easier through the tire grinding left handers at Barber as we co-drove my car all weekend. I'm running the stock Goodyears which were surprisingly good. Brakes are Hawk DTC 60's all 4 corners and SRF brake fluid. I had the car aligned before the event to a little more aggressive than Chevy recommends in the performance supplement.
Overall- the Camaro is absolutely insane on track. I can link a few more vids if you guys have interest.

Cheers-

Eric
Well there you go!

Post some more vids please.

I try to do about 6-7 HPDE events a year, mostly with chin and pca. PM me your info, and I'll see if we can try to get paired up on some future event.
6000 - 04/05/2017 - Delivered!
67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:18 PM   #9
Vintage

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Provoste, 1) your brother is an excellent driver as I am sure you are too - very consistent and good line, 2) I am so glad I bought this car after watching our little 1LE devour some serious cars, 3) the blue and white P driver was not good. Next stop, COTA next weekend and Cresson the weekend after - watch out Texas! Now, I really need some track wheels with MPSC2s!

For the few of you that do not attend HPDEs, people that instruct for Chin, PCA, etc. are top notch, which is evident from the video. Thank you for sharing and we need to all go immediately to the track.

Last edited by Vintage; 02-16-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:52 PM   #10
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
Provoste, 1) your brother is an excellent driver as I am sure you are too - very consistent and good line, 2) I am so glad I bought this car after watching our little 1LE devour some serious cars, 3) the blue and white P driver was not good. Next stop, COTA next weekend and Cresson the weekend after - watch out Texas! Now, I really need some track wheels with MPSC2s!

For the few of you that do not attend HPDEs, people that instruct for Chin, PCA, etc. are top notch, which is evident from the video. Thank you for sharing and we need to all go immediately to the track.
Ha- thanks. I couldn't have been more impressed with the 1LE's on track performance. The level of body control and adjustability reminds me of my dads GT4. The e-diff is such a game changer too, watch the throttle trace out of "museum corner", the tight downhill right-harder that leads to the back straight; I'm able to go flat almost immediately. Btw, all these vids are with TC/Stability off, track suspension and touring steering. I hate the heavier steering program.
Here's one of me.
https://youtu.be/fkT-0hLClrQ
Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 AM   #11
HyperBlue

Drives: 2011 MB E350 wagon
Great stuff!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #12
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post

Cheers-

Eric
Amazing driving!

Would you recommend your brake pads and fluid for daily driving and weekend track days?
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:54 AM   #13
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
Amazing driving!

Would you recommend your brake pads and fluid for daily driving and weekend track days?
Thanks- for 95% of 1LE owners, the stock OE pads are going to be just fine. My student that weekend was also in a '17 SS 1LE (blue) and his car was 100% stock. He was running a really solid pace by the end of the weekend and his brakes felt terrific. The stock pads are made by Ferodo (stamped with brembo logo) and really good. I already swapped pads back to stock for the street. As for brake fluid, again... 95% of 1LE owners don't need the additional heat dissipation Castrol SRF provides (for those not familiar SRF is the best/also most expensive brake fluid avail). Motul RBF 600 would work for 95-99 of 1LE owners, I just didn't want to chance any brake fade issues with both my brother and I double stinting the car!
Old 02-17-2017, 06:10 AM   #14
quikag

Drives: 2SS '16 Camaro
Nice driving, Provoste! In the original vid, that was a subpar P-car driver for sure with crappy lines and not wanting the Camaro to pass either. Glad the Camaro finally got past when he P-car went off track.

Also:
2010 ZR1
2018 GT3
2013 LX570
quikag is offline   Reply With Quote