Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #43
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
A high revvng engine is good if you live in the dessert with space to wind it out. Our SS's with manual have tall gears and I don't even have the space to wind out 4th gear to redline. Many in my situation so we don't really need a high revving engine. Now what we have and can easily make use of is low end torque. I will take the torque any day over a high revving engine in a streetable car.
Well that's where lower gearing comes in. I don't see a engine with an extra 1000+ RPM to work with using the same ratios - they would be lower so gears end at approximately the same speeds as they do now.

I'd actually love to install a lower-geared rear-end as it is now, it's just more fun on the street - even if the car might ultimately be slower.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #44
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Got it. But then it can and likely will morph into Twin Turbo and/or electrified V6 DOHC that outperform large displacement V8. If the V6 DOHC becomes a high volume engine, boosting a few with turbos and/or electric motors will be a much less costly proposition than keeping an entire manufacturing facility open to make a low volume V8.

GM, Ford and Chrysler will be among the last with V8 because truck volume keeps the V8 plants running. But Ford, in particular, is seeing a shift. More than 60% of Ford trucks sold have V6.
A lot of likelys, but if all that does happen then lets just face it...hot rodding will be dead, a speeding down the highway in an electric car will be like quietly sliding down the highway in your lazy boy. Total soulless.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:03 PM   #45
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
A lot of likelys, but if all that does happen then lets just face it...hot rodding will be dead, a speeding down the highway in an electric car will be like quietly sliding down the highway in your lazy boy. Total soulless.
Different, but not soulless. I've driven a Tesla P90D, a Panamera S eHybrid, and countless twin turbo 6-cylinder cars. I could spend a lot of quality time with any of them. The Tesla and the Panamera were both definitely faster than my Camaro. And the Tesla handles on par with it. I still prefer my Camaro and several of the Corvettes I've driven, but make no mistake, these cars put a different spin on performance and speed. Getting full torque from a Tesla at launch is a different, yet amazing feeling. First time I drove it, I didn't want to like it. But then you drive it and it's like "I didn't know cars could do that".
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #46
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
That doesn't make any sense.

Lets say this new engine gets de-stroked by 0.6 inches, taking it down to 5.3L. To make the same power as the LT1, its going to need to turn at 7500+ rpm -something which will be very difficult with production pushrod engine. Not impossible, but that is only to get things back to LT1 levels of power.
How about using the NASCAR roots for High Hp/Rev pushrod engines?

Not difficult at all. But you'd better be able to feed the engine enough A/F at those RPMs, (i.e. Cyl Heads)

They seem to have the High RPM Game in the bag.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #47
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post

Not difficult at all. But you'd better be able to feed the engine enough A/F at those RPMs, (i.e. Cyl Heads)

Have you seen how much a Nascar V8 is?

They run between $45,000 and $80,000 ...
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #48
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Have you seen how much a Nascar V8 is?

They run between $45,000 and $80,000 ...
And there good for about 500 miles lol

Best high reving push rod is the LS7. Not sure there are many better.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #49
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post

Race engines, particularly highly specialized ones like what NASCAR runs, have minimal relevance to a production engine. Cost, emissions, maintenance, and longevity mean very little to a race team in a top tier series like NASCAR. And when they do matter, its on such a different scale to be useless. Like Speed & Number 3 said, each engine costs tens of thousands to build and lasts a few hundred miles.

If it was easy to do, everyone would already be doing it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:03 AM   #50
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
They can be held to the floor for 500 miles. And they aren't detonated by the end of the race most times. I'm sure they could go longer. But every team wants a fresh top notch engine every race.

Could our cars be held wide open for 3 hours strait and be good as new?

i really don't know for sure but do those engines wear faster than a normal engine? I'm sure they are built out of quality parts. I wonder how they would last as a daily driven car like a Camaro ? I would think a lot longer than 500 miles
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:25 AM   #51
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
They can be held to the floor for 500 miles. And they aren't detonated by the end of the race most times. I'm sure they could go longer. But every team wants a fresh top notch engine every race.

Could our cars be held wide open for 3 hours strait and be good as new?

i really don't know for sure but do those engines wear faster than a normal engine? I'm sure they are built out of quality parts. I wonder how they would last as a daily driven car like a Camaro ? I would think a lot longer than 500 miles
Hyundai 2.4.

http://jalopnik.com/5409697/hyundais...der-first-look

"This engine has been operated for 300 hours at wide open throttle on an engine dyno."
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #52
prod

Drives: HHR
Ive been to the engine dyno room at the gm st Catherine's plant, saw an ls7 that had been running on it for 3 days, sounded damn good too.
Under some circumstances customers engines are sent back there for analysis.
prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #53
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I think I remember hearing that when GM was developing the LSA they ran it wide open for about a week and a half. The LS9 was a bit less.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #54
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Gm has been doing tests like this for a while....remember reading about full throttle 24/7 tests for the mid 90's vortecs...
Can't find any info; anyone else remember this?
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote