Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
J_jungy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
6th Gen camaro led black tail light hyper flahing

So I have a 2016 camaro 1LT and I bought a pair of the black led tail lights on eBay. After installing, they hyper flash when I have turn signals on. So I bought a pair of 6ohm resistors as well but now my problem is I'm not sure which wires to connect the resistor to.
I've seen videos online where they either show 2 or 3 wires but in my case, the socket where I need to add the resistor to, there are 4 thin wires coming out. Has anyone dealt with this problem before? I will attach pictures.

Note that on these black tail lights, there are two bulb sockets. The inside socket (light closer to license plate) is tungsten which should be fine. This bulb actually does have 2 wires coming out like demonstrated in most videos which would've made it easier for me it I were to add led onto this bulb socket.
The second socket is on the outside closer to the back tires where when I open it, I don't even see a bulb, just four thin wires coming out. This I'm sure is where I need to add resistor to as my lights hyper flash when I turn the indicator on.

Thank you guys
Attached Images

J_jungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Are those GM or aftermarket tails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
cellsafemode

the blinkers in the rear lights are led.

Your problem is in the front of the car. one or both of your front blinkers is either out, the load resistor is open circuit, or you have led blinkers up front without load resistors.

99% that is the case. There is the possibility that the rear is the root of the problem, but if they're blinking then they are not.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
J_jungy

Update: if I need to add the resistor to the power source, there are 6 wires?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
J_jungy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
Are those GM or aftermarket tails?
The listings on the website say OEM
Old 08-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
J_jungy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
the blinkers in the rear lights are led.

Your problem is in the front of the car. one or both of your front blinkers is either out, the load resistor is open circuit, or you have led blinkers up front without load resistors.

99% that is the case. There is the possibility that the rear is the root of the problem, but if they're blinking then they are not.

I don't think the front are the problem because they're not led, and once I switch the black tail lights to the stock tail lights, hyper flashing is no longer a problem.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
If the OEM lights on your car are the incandescent bulbs and those are the OEM smoked taillights which are LED, then that is the root cause of the issue.

You cant mix incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs, the load is different and it causes the computer to think a bulb is out.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #8
63falcondude

Drives: 16 Camaro, 11 Stryker, 00 Explorer
See this: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472637

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
63falcondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_jungy View Post
I don't think the front are the problem because they're not led, and once I switch the black tail lights to the stock tail lights, hyper flashing is no longer a problem.
So you dont have the RS package and you went with an led dark taillight.

Ok, so yea, you have a load issue. The dealer can probably flash the bcm that controls the hyperflashing. Though i'm not sure how likely they will try. Can't hurt to ask though.

You can add a load resistor to the power leads going to the two lights on the blinker circuit (it doesn't need to also be on the brake light circuit). Just get a buddy to use a multi-meter on the wires to see which one sees voltage when the blinker turns on. Splice your resistor into that one and ground on each side. The process is pretty straight forward if you're not worried about modifying the cable harness.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #10
Sftshldr
Beast Rider

Drives: 2017 ZL1 BLK A10
http://www.gen5diy.com/Chevrolet/Cam...ight-Harness6/
Old 08-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
So you dont have the RS package and you went with an led dark taillight.

Ok, so yea, you have a load issue. The dealer can probably flash the bcm that controls the hyperflashing. Though i'm not sure how likely they will try. Can't hurt to ask though.

You can add a load resistor to the power leads going to the two lights on the blinker circuit (it doesn't need to also be on the brake light circuit). Just get a buddy to use a multi-meter on the wires to see which one sees voltage when the blinker turns on. Splice your resistor into that one and ground on each side. The process is pretty straight forward if you're not worried about modifying the cable harness.

Not an option at all with the dealer, only thing the dealer can flash the BCM to do is what the BCM programming is currently setup for the OP's VIN and options.

Dealers dont have a way to change or modify the BCM programming anymore.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #12
pjz1082

Buy the harness from Gen5DIY and save yourself a bunch of frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_jungy View Post
So I have a 2016 camaro 1LT and I bought a pair of the black led tail lights on eBay. After installing, they hyper flash when I have turn signals on. So I bought a pair of 6ohm resistors as well but now my problem is I'm not sure which wires to connect the resistor to.
I've seen videos online where they either show 2 or 3 wires but in my case, the socket where I need to add the resistor to, there are 4 thin wires coming out. Has anyone dealt with this problem before? I will attach pictures.

Note that on these black tail lights, there are two bulb sockets. The inside socket (light closer to license plate) is tungsten which should be fine. This bulb actually does have 2 wires coming out like demonstrated in most videos which would've made it easier for me it I were to add led onto this bulb socket.
The second socket is on the outside closer to the back tires where when I open it, I don't even see a bulb, just four thin wires coming out. This I'm sure is where I need to add resistor to as my lights hyper flash when I turn the indicator on.

Thank you guys
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote