Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-23-2015, 12:36 AM   #1
jeffm4688

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
2015 SS upgrades Brakes/Suspension questions/options

So, I have had my 2015 SS for 3 months and absolutely love it. It's got 7,000 miles on it already (and isn't my DD anymore)

I would like to slowly start modding the car to improve some things as I'd like to add some power to the mix.

So my questions would be :

Brake wise, where would the best bang for my buck be? Is upgrading to the 6 piston front, 4 piston rear from the CTS-V worth it? If not, what is then my best options in regards to :

Rotors/Pads ?
Lines ?
Brake ducts?
Fluid?

Same generic question suspension wise, where is my best bang for my buck?

Coilovers?
Sway bars?
Strut tower bar?
Any other suspensions upgrades I should look at?
2018 M2 Exec - Current
jeffm4688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
I WILL MAKE THIS SIMPLE...MAY POST ON HERE ABUT THIS. GET THE FRONT CTSV BRAKES ONLY. THEY DO MST OF THE WORK AND THE REARS AND REALLY THE SAME ON BOTH MODELS. UNLESS YOUR A MANIAC ROAD RACER DOT 4 BRAKE FLUID IS GOOD. GET STAINLESS LINES ON ALL 4, MAJOR IMPROVEMENT FEEL. BRAKE DUCTS ARE JUST THERE FOR AGAIN THE MOST EXTREME. GET PADS THAT ARE SUITED FOR YOUR REAL EXPECTATIONS.....THE BETTER THE PAD THE WORST IS THE NOISE. AND I MEAN SCHOOL BUS GRINDING NOISE. WELL I HOPE THAT HELPS.
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm4688 View Post
So, I have had my 2015 SS for 3 months and absolutely love it. It's got 7,000 miles on it already (and isn't my DD anymore)

I would like to slowly start modding the car to improve some things as I'd like to add some power to the mix.

Brake wise, where would the best bang for my buck be? Is upgrading to the 6 piston front, 4 piston rear from the CTS-V worth it? If not, what is then my best options in regards to :

Rotors/Pads ?
Lines ?
Brake ducts?
Fluid?

Coilovers?
Sway bars?
Strut tower bar?
Any other suspensions upgrades I should look at?
The answer to the questions depend upon how you use your car. Are you looking for better street performance or do you autoX, road course, drag race, etc.?
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
jeffm4688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
The answer to the questions depend upon how you use your car. Are you looking for better street performance or do you autoX, road course, drag race, etc.?
I plan on driving the car street, no track or strip. The closest strip/track to me is in another state.

I have already experienced brake fade when driving somewhat hard, so I figure when I get ready to increase power I need to think about braking.

At the very least I know I need to do better fluid, and stainless steel lines. But I need to weigh the pros/cons of putting bigger brakes with pads/rotors or just doing pads/rotors.
2018 M2 Exec - Current
Old 08-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
I plan on driving the car street, no track or strip. The closest strip/track to me is in another state.

I have already experienced brake fade when driving somewhat hard, so I figure when I get ready to increase power I need to think about braking.

At the very least I know I need to do better fluid, and stainless steel lines. But I need to weigh the pros/cons of putting bigger brakes with pads/rotors or just doing pads/rotors.
Quote:

For street use the CTS-V upgrade would be overkill. The major benefit to the 6 pot set up it cooling which you will never have a problem with on the street. The overall braking force is actually almost the exact same as the 4 pot Brembos. Any additional stopping power realized with the 6 pots is from better pads.

Rotors/Pads ? Rotors probably are not needed but R1Concepts make a nice set of rotor. For aggressive street use I would recommend Hawk HPS (High Performance Street).
Lines ? Racing Brake
Brake ducts? No necessary on the street.
Fluid?

Coilovers? If they are in your budget coil overs are an amazing upgrade. Ridetech makes an amazing set that perform and ride extremely well.
Sway bars? Another big bang for your buck upgrade. Defintely put them high on your list.
Strut tower bar? It has its place in a full set up but in general there is a lot lower hanging fruit to go after.
Any other suspensions upgrades I should look at? Rear cradle bushings should be close to, if not at the top of your suspension upgrades list. Also, rear trailing arms and bushings are a really good idea. Those two things will help with traction and rear end stability when accelerating aggressively.
Answers above in red. Feel free to shoot me a PM or give us a call tomorrow if you need any more info.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 08-24-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:49 AM   #6
SkunkJunk420

Drives: camaros
I just did the ctsv brake kit (stage 2 from JDP) and even though I don't track my car (yet), I smile hard when braking nowadays
SkunkJunk420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
jeffm4688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkJunk420 View Post
I just did the ctsv brake kit (stage 2 from JDP) and even though I don't track my car (yet), I smile hard when braking nowadays
I bet, I am considering doing it even though I drive street. Did you do just fronts? or fronts/rears?
2018 M2 Exec - Current
Old 08-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
I bet, I am considering doing it even though I drive street. Did you do just fronts? or fronts/rears?
As I mentioned in my answers above, the overall braking force is actually almost the exact same as the 4 pot Brembos. Any additional stopping power realized with the 6 pots is from better pads. Cooling is what you are getting with the 6 pots. Of course, you can spend your money however you like but it is a lot to spend when you could achieve the same street performance for 1/10th the price.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #9
SkunkJunk420

Drives: camaros
Quote:
I did all 4 because a friend wanted to buy the ones off my car for his zl6 (cool name) I also read somewhere on here that these brakes were tested and, as my friend chase here said, there was no big difference in stopping power. I also did stainless steel lines so maybe thats what im feeling the most.
SkunkJunk420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkJunk420 View Post
I did all 4 because a friend wanted to buy the ones off my car for his zl6 (cool name) I also read somewhere on here that these brakes were tested and, as my friend chase here said, there was no big difference in stopping power. I also did stainless steel lines so maybe thats what im feeling the most.
Stainless lines and pads make a world of difference.