Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-27-2015, 06:00 AM   #29
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
1gpm to 2gpm is a 100% increase, no small change.

If you can, gravity is always best, but certainly I've never heard a bad word about the Exa and so far on my own car it's been faultless.

It's only the cheaper pumps you seem to read about failures or problems.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #30
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
The pumps we were using for 10yrs had never had a fairure. One wiring problem killed a pump recently, but nothing the pumps fault. We tried the exa pumps for a while but had major failures. I'm shocked some of the guys here have so much praise for them.

Last edited by AGP Turbo; 03-22-2016 at 08:53 PM.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #31
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
well guys I been an owner of the IPS twins from the start. So I can speak very honestly, and from real experience. I have the system on the car for almost 4 yrs. I logged about 22k miles on it. When I first got it, all the hoses pretty much had to be resized or made new by my tuner = about another 400 bucks., Second issue, the turbos have sucked in water 4 times already = another 2k in tows, and new plugs etc..plus a new short block after I bent a rod (I used the excuse to spend another 7k on a tsp block and 3.5k to install. at 22k miles on the turbos my oil return pump stopped without any warning or reason. My turbos had to be replaced entirely. And the worst part is this..after many phone calls to Jeff of IPS and other staff, to both cell numbers and the office. I never got any real tech help to resolve the issues. IS the system very strong in power? Yes, Are the staff helpful at first...YES...after you buy the system and have an issue the staff really helps ? Not really. My tuner called them, i called them. Left many messages and got >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> not a freaking call after a while. I couldn't get garrett's address to send the turbos for repair no matter who I called. The turbos are propietary and couldn't get any real parts to fix myself....road blocks at all corners. So I had to get the turbos from another vendor in Texas. cost 3600. If I new all this I would of waited for another company. This is my story. Just Buyer beware. I not here to slander but just inform. A lil side info, the car is totally street driven. Never seen a track , and babied to death. Once in a blue I push her for a kick or two. I never hole shot the car, or rev the F out the motor. Only on the dyno does she get pulls. Luckily I'm not broke and have other cars,. The car is in the shop...getting tuned and all. I should get her out this week if all pans out. I will chime back in with impressions. Good luck guys.
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #32
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
I've never had a problem with my scavenge pump but I would like to change over to an exa pump too just for quieter operation and more peace of mind that it won't go out on me away from home. I'm not sure if the gph matters on a return pump or not since its just pulling excess oil. I don't think gravity return is an option for us V6 guys since our turbos sit lower than the oil pan.

I wonder what the OP ended up doing...

This a the pump that came with my Fabberge kit
Attached Images

JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #33
stevieturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarostar2010 View Post
well guys I been an owner of the IPS twins from the start. So I can speak very honestly, and from real experience. I have the system on the car for almost 4 yrs. I logged about 22k miles on it. When I first got it, all the hoses pretty much had to be resized or made new by my tuner = about another 400 bucks., Second issue, the turbos have sucked in water 4 times already = another 2k in tows, and new plugs etc..plus a new short block after I bent a rod (I used the excuse to spend another 7k on a tsp block and 3.5k to install. at 22k miles on the turbos my oil return pump stopped without any warning or reason. My turbos had to be replaced entirely. And the worst part is this..after many phone calls to Jeff of IPS and other staff, to both cell numbers and the office. I never got any real tech help to resolve the issues. IS the system very strong in power? Yes, Are the staff helpful at first...YES...after you buy the system and have an issue the staff really helps ? Not really. My tuner called them, i called them. Left many messages and got >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> not a freaking call after a while. I couldn't get garrett's address to send the turbos for repair no matter who I called. The turbos are propietary and couldn't get any real parts to fix myself....road blocks at all corners. So I had to get the turbos from another vendor in Texas. cost 3600. If I new all this I would of waited for another company. This is my story. Just Buyer beware. I not here to slander but just inform. A lil side info, the car is totally street driven. Never seen a track , and babied to death. Once in a blue I push her for a kick or two. I never hole shot the car, or rev the F out the motor. Only on the dyno does she get pulls. Luckily I'm not broke and have other cars,. The car is in the shop...getting tuned and all. I should get her out this week if all pans out. I will chime back in with impressions. Good luck guys.
To be fair, some of those problems seem partially self inflicted.

If you know you have low mounted turbos and drive through lots of water....1+1= ?

As for a scavenge pump failing and destroying the turbos, I just cant see any scenario where that could even be possible. If the pump failed, almost immediately there would be a massive smokescreen out the rear...which any driver would realise is a bad thing and stop driving.
But even a turbo saturated with oil....will simply clean up again once normal oil flow/removal is restored.
I dont see how it could ever destroy them requiring complete new units.

Clearly you did have problems, some with either the kit or the installer, and to a degree the driver.

But a well designed kit, low mounted or otherwise should be very reliable as long as it is well put together and looked after.

But when you know the air intakes are low, just do not drive anywhere near puddles or anything where it could ingest water. If you live somewhere that may be difficult then you'll definitely need some sort of air intake relocation.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #34
stevieturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
I've never had a problem with my scavenge pump but I would like to change over to an exa pump too just for quieter operation and more peace of mind that it won't go out on me away from home. I'm not sure if the gph matters on a return pump or not since its just pulling excess oil. I don't think gravity return is an option for us V6 guys since our turbos sit lower than the oil pan.

I wonder what the OP ended up doing...

This a the pump that came with my Fabberge kit
More flow certainly wont hurt, it's only pulling the oil that's there anyway.

Also handy the Exa can be mounted in any position, it doesnt need to be upright.
And yea, it is quite quiet in operation.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #35
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
No idea where filters are on the IPS kit, but AGP kits they are pretty damn far up. I've driven one through a foot or more of standing water. You would have to have water pouring into the floor boards to have a water issue with the agp kit.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #36
Rumbumbees$ponsor

Drives: Autobot
All these problems sound like its to much trouble for turbo kits for a street cars or daily drivers and 1 or 2 times a year going to track.

What do you mean by Looked After? Stevie...

I'm wanting to upgrade my eforce.. I never had to do anything but drive and change the oil..
Old 09-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #37
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Then get a kit designed to do that. That is exactly what the AGP kit does. Designed to do 100k+ miles without issues. Reliability was #1 concern.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #38
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
If you get the AGP kit I'm sure it will be fine in the rain, but in general having a heavily modded car without a second car is probably not the best of ideas. Shit happens when you double...or triple factory power. In saying all that I too have an IPS kit. One of the first. If I remember correctly I mailed a copy of the "instruction" manual to camarostar back in '11 because he didn't get one.(might have been another user not 100%) When I got my IPS kit it was missing oil lines and the intercooler tabs had to be modded to mount the kit. 6 months after install I had an oil line leak and they sent me a new one for free. I have the seatrab oil pump, but mine is white not black so I'm not sure if that is a different model. It has 40k miles on it and hasn't had a hiccup, but I have been pricing pumps in preparation and have been planning to use the EXA after my research. So my advice is to go EXA, but maybe try to get a refund from IPS.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #39
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
Part of turbo and mods is luck.....and stevieturbo.....you are going to sit hear and try to rearrange my experience. I want to be brash but let me say this. The kit as i had it was one the costliest. There should be no water ingestion in regular rain and puddles. I dont to drive a monster like this in rain just cause...pointless. as is your anal-lysis. Ips lack of support has nothing to do with anything period. And the turbos got damaged irrespective of your bs opinion. When i spoke with andy and jeff from ips....it was the usual they never saw it happen before bit....then they heard it b4 but....then no return calls...or answers. I wanted to rebuild the turbo... .but since weeks passed and no one could repair then at a reasonable price i had to get a new set from else where. Thats why i got new ones. Made no sense to get a 3rd party to fix when i spent another 1k to get new. The kit is too low....design flaw that simple. And my car is lowered. Like a million others, dont blame the consumer. Since im stuck with the kit i have ride it out. And i know that hence forth i wont need to call ips for tech support because ill just get the we call u back or voice mail treatment...ps cyber i recall us talking about those messed lines indeed.
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote