Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #1
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
STAY AWAY FROM RAM CLUTCHES

Had a Ram dual force 9.5 installed back at the end of June. Broke it in for 1000 mi or so before actually getting on it. I have still not taken it to the track. Maybe a handful of hard launches on the street if that.

Got the car dyno'd last weekend because I wanted to test the nitrous and make sure it was running safely. Base line on Saturday was 489hp 433tq on motor with it being close to 90 out that day. Pilled for 150 shot and did a 4th gear pull at 2500 and it went up in smoke immediately! I mean it looked like we did a small burnout. Let the car cool down again and did a pull at 3700 instead and the clutch held. Pilled up for 175 shot and did the pull at 3700 and again the clutch didn't hold. Ended up having to make the pull at over 4000 for it to hold.

The car dyno'd 647.99hp and 682.83tq. WELL below the 800tq rating of this clutch and it didn't hold the power. On Sunday morning when I went out and took the car, it was slipping as if it had 100k plus miles on it. Little things like over taking another car aren't possible now.

I am working with Summit Racing who is going to talk to Ram about this. But lesson learned. Believe what people say on the forums when things more times than not. Now I have to figure out how to get another clutch that isn't a Ram and somehow get one of them to pay for this labor all over again...
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
800 tq you say...only the street slayer can hold that at the wheel. And truthfully, the ss twin barely holds. You really need a triple for that set up, especially with the sudden nos hit. I have 800 rwtq, and that the dyno limit....after that my ss twins stat to give a messed up graph on the dyno...in other words, the cf is starting to break.
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
My stock clutch with 70k miles on it held 682/599 on the dyno without problem.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
ytown87

About to go McLeod rst next. Im about to be out the cost of labor from the first time plus the cost of the RAM clutch along with my rental from last time. Totaled close to 3k down the drain. Going to replace this with the McLeod and then send the RAM back to fight them on refunding me my money for the junk. They want to do their inspection and all that before they will work with me. I don't have time to let the car sit on a lift waiting for them. Was trying to get the car ready for FL2k on the 9th. Even if I have a new clutch in by the end of the week, there is no way it'll be broken in in time for FL2k. That's the biggest upset. Been setting my car up all year for this one weekend.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
ytown87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
My stock clutch with 70k miles on it held 682/599 on the dyno without problem.
Hey Bo
Any idea why it woulda went out while on the dyno rather than on the street. I've run the 175 shot a few times on the street with it and never had a problem. Got on the dyno and it fried it immediately. Even then, I cant see why the next day it would be slipping all together. I've burned up my stock clutch several times when the pedal wouldn't come back off the floor and it still worked just fine
Old 09-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
ytown87

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarostar2010 View Post
800 tq you say...only the street slayer can hold that at the wheel. And truthfully, the ss twin barely holds. You really need a triple for that set up, especially with the sudden nos hit. I have 800 rwtq, and that the dyno limit....after that my ss twins stat to give a messed up graph on the dyno...in other words, the cf is starting to break.
Wish I could afford a triple disc. After all this is said n done, I could've had one