Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #57
MySwtZ

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
I agree.......... broke on the inner cv joint. it seems a lot of other people have dragged and been hard on their vehicle and they take it. that's why I wonder why mine failed at such a low stress.
MySwtZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #58
Walker_1LE

Drives: VR, 1SS/1LE, NPP, Camera, 1 of 76
Well, thanks for enlightening me with another reason not take my baby to the track! Sorry to hear about the break though... Hope it's fixed soon. SLP sells 1,400 HP half shafts for $1,499.95. Might be a good investment... Good luck!
Walker_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #59
Camaronutt

Drives: 68 Camaro--2009 Corvette
OK--How many on this forum are drag racing their 1LE optioned car and what have been your experiences? Lots with broken half shafts, few with broken half shafts? What else broke, how many runs you made, what tires, etc?
How would the average person be able to determine if a part broke because it is defective or just over stressed?
I am considering purchasing a new 1LE and will use it primarily for what it was designed for, as a road course car, but it would be fun to occassionly take it to a drag strip so this info would be useful for me and probably lots of other's on this forum.
Camaronutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #60
Camaronutt

If some one buys the SLP half shafts will that just lead to a broken diff? Might be better to just break a half shaft once in a while?
Old 11-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #61
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
So, instead of SAYING it was at the track, you could have just said i wanted to see what it would run like. You launched hard and it broke. Location is not needed And still not lieing.

To all: would this have been ok with the warranty trolls?

just my .02
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #62
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOGGS-LS3-1LE View Post
I wouldn't judge all the manufacterd axles strength based on one failure.
Agreed. But we know the SS can break the standard axles, and the 1LE axles are only a little stronger. Shocking the drive train is where most breakage come from, especially if you are not careful with launch control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOGGS-LS3-1LE View Post
Plus as sticky as these tires are and how sticky a prepped track surface can be, its inevitable something will break.
Disagreed. The stock Goodyears are awful drag racing tires. They have a rep at the track. I cut a much better 60' on Pirellis. And I tried at least 50 times.All I did was fry my clutch.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #63
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySwtZ View Post
I agree.......... broke on the inner cv joint. it seems a lot of other people have dragged and been hard on their vehicle and they take it. that's why I wonder why mine failed at such a low stress.
Anyone know if this is a weak point? OP I am sure you know not to sidestep the clutch at 4,000 on a prepped track. I think you do have a right to have the axle examined for defects no matter where you broke the axle with a sensible launch. And as pointed out previously T&T is not really racing. It's just that, you are testing the capabilities of the car.

I have been around a number of LS3 SSes over the last year at the drags. No breakage I have witnessed. The clutch, even though it is pretty sturdy for stock is fryable, I can attest.

Anyone who is afraid to take their 1LE to some kind of track is missing out on big fun. But of course it is your car to do with it what you please.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #64
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaronutt View Post
If some one buys the SLP half shafts will that just lead to a broken diff? Might be better to just break a half shaft once in a while?
This is a great point. And there is only one other axle problem on a 1LE I have seen here so far. So I don't think 1LEs are any more likely to break than a SS. And I know the Goodyears seem sticky, but they are greasy when hot and the stiff sidewalls let the tires spin on standing starts easy. Drag racing is not what they were designed for.

Last edited by Fraxum; 11-06-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #65
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Great thread...

OP, you first ''mistake'' was to post the full story here. Yes, Chevy are checking this forum and its easy to find anything in 5mins, keywords; broken, axles, camaro5, 1le, track, warranty, dealer... You get the point. As much as some plp are stupid to expose their whole on facebook, thats another story though.

What I think is really stupid is why its not covered on a 1/4 mile track and covered on the road. They could always try to say you abused the car, but they need still evidence. With slicks I could understand, but the Goodyear suck for traction (0-60ft). I think your car definitly had a weakness to let go that early, thats for sure.

Even if you pamper your car, never launching above 1500rpm (why the hell would anyone buy a Camaro 1LE for???), never hitting the cutoff, they still could say the car was abused.

I think axles are a weak point for the Camaro, from what I read. But not enough to break that early.

If they dont work a good deal for you, tow the car somewhere else to get a better price or do it yourself. Never buy from them again. That lady sounded like a stupid ignorant bitxh that should never work around cars. When things break, its never pretty...

Sorry but being honest is not always the solution in every case. Do you think everyone is being 100% honest all the time out there? Nope.

Good luck with this!..and oh yeah, great track pass you got!!

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #66
MySwtZ

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Even if I lied the car told the real story. The wheel wells and underneath have rubber stuck all over, the tires are a little chewed up from the burnouts and I'm sure you can see some remnants of the numbers on the windows. The car went right from the strip to the dealership. So there really was no point. I think these tires were too sticky for the track if that makes sense. I got no wheel spin or slippage. I had them at 23psi and they hooked. No side stepping the clutch at 4k either, 2500rpm launch. I did try the launch control on the street before and essentially your side stepping the clutch at 4000k. I must have left a 50ft burnout, figured it would be too much for the strip. And I've already been honest with the dealer and GM so I can say whatever here. I have nothing to hide. Received an e-mail from the service manager just keeping in touch with me. Says the district rep wants to see pictures of the axle. They were gonna push it back in today to take some. The axle was ordered though says it's coming from michigan.
Don't think I need 1400hp axles for a stock car. The factory ones SHOULD be fine. And as stated before this was my first time to the track and my third pass. Car is daily driven and rarely beaten on. I average 21mpg.
MySwtZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #67
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Lets start a poll on wether this ends up repaired under warranty. I'm voting they change there position and end up taking care of you with a "this is your one time" warning".

I'm rooting for you OP. and you know gm is watching this thread. Time to set a precident gm and help this guy out!

Even if you are at fault $600 is a drop in the bucket for them and the last thing a manufacturer wants is a reputation of not covering repairs under warranty.

Maybe this one turns out that you did do the right thing by being honest and they make a one time exception.

I like the guys saying be honest, deff. Some good folks on here!

But I would like to say, in my opinion That doesn't mean you have to walk in and divoldge all info by saying "I was racing my car and....". Sending them the car and saying "I think an axle broke" is still honest. Now if they ask where it happened or if you've been racing, then yes you got to fess up.

Point being you don't need to blatantly tell them, I don't think holding a little back is dishonest. When you do it kind of hand cuffs them to sticking with policy. Like you just said, they would've have figured it out, but maybe the tech would overlook it.

You're not going to drive to the police station and tell them you just hit 100 mph on the freeway are you? If you blow an engine are you gonna say "well, this is probably my fault, a few years ago it dropped to about 30 degrees one night and I didn't take that oil seperator off". Extreme examples but you get my point.

I guess I would be 100% honest but provide the minimal amount of detail they needed. Maybe others think there is something wrong with that?

Others may have different opinions on the level of honesty, just my 2 cents
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #68
Vjc834

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Maybe the axle had a defect.
Vjc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #69
Camaronutt

DSS and Gforce Engineering both make heavy duty half shafts that will fit a Camaro. Dss also has options that are a upgrade for RR use.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #70
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
OP, Did you take it back to your selling dealer? Are you the first owner?
hcsi99 is offline   Reply With Quote