Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Something Coming In Between a 1LE V8 and a ZL1?

Does anybody know or have any predictions if there will be something coming down the line that would be nestled nicely between the V8 1LE and the ZL1? Right now I have my eye on the 1LE SS. I like the idea of a super well balanced car, especially after owning a 2014 Shelby GT500. The Shelby was great in all regards, but it's acceleration was definitely cranked up a few notches over it's handling and braking capabilities. That and the massive engine with the super charger made it a bit nose heavy.

The ZL1, while I'm sure is gonna be incredible, will certainly weigh quite a bit more than a 1LE, and much of that weight will probably be in the front. So my question is, do you think there will be an in between, N/A model that is much like the 1LE, but with a little bit of a power bump? Something a little north of 500 naturally aspirated horsepower while not gaining any weight or added complications of a supercharger would be fantastic. I'm probably thinking along the lines of a Z28.

Or if they eventually gave the LT1 a power bump, that would be great to
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
I think this time around that is where the Z/28 will end up . To hear AL O talk at the chicago auto show, both he and Ruess know what Z/28 needs to be. This time so high dollar items are gone so the price should be much more in check and fall under a ZL1 as far as costs are concerned. Those big ticket items being the LS7 and carbon ceramic brakes. I say/predict no ceramic brakes because of how they were adement they were not needed with the V Caddy models.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94turbolsx View Post
I think this time around that is where the Z/28 will end up . To hear AL O talk at the chicago auto show, both he and Ruess know what Z/28 needs to be. This time so high dollar items are gone so the price should be much more in check and fall under a ZL1 as far as costs are concerned. Those big ticket items being the LS7 and carbon ceramic brakes. I say/predict no ceramic brakes because of how they were adement they were not needed with the V Caddy models.
If that's the case, I'll definitely be on line for a Z28. A 1LE with a bit more power and no added weight for forced induction would be just what the doctor ordered and would be the perfect competitor to the GT350R. I just hope they don't do that limited production crap and only a few lucky ones with fat wallets willing to pay a huge mark up, can get it.

On a side note, but still slightly related, I saw this on youtube and found it interesting. One of the commenters said it's probably due to the Camaro having a try-y exhaust manifold design while the C7 Stingray has a more convnentional exhaust manifold design.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #4
doc212121

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS White/White
Its called a 2SS, their isnt going to be another model in between....
doc212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Yes, such a car would in effect be a Z28 (if they cranked the track-ability to 11 it would instead be a Z/28 ). GM could do such a car, if they wanted to. And the Camaro team seems to have hinted at least once or twice that they see space for two different top performers in the Camaro lineup (a high powered car and a track rat; like in the 5th gen). But there isn't really any evidence for a NA halo in the Camaro lineup, not right now anyways.

There are a lot of different forms a Z/28 could take (and a couple different ways to do a Z28 too). A sub-500 hp Z28, with a tweaked LT1 and modest enhancements over whats in the 1LE package could probably start in the upper 40's. Another no compromises Z/28 with a pure track focus, a unique engine, weighs savings, super-shocks, etc could again cost 80 grand or so. Those are the lower & upper limits as I see them, which means that it could be above the ZL1, priced right along side it, or between the ZL1 and the SS/1LE. Its really anybodys guess as to which direction GM will go.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc212121 View Post
Its called a 2SS, their isnt going to be another model in between....
The 2SS isn't in between the SS and 1LE... I'm talking about a car just like the 1LE, just with a little more power. That would make it more competitive with a GT350R also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Yes, such a car would in effect be a Z28 (if they cranked the track-ability to 11 it would instead be a Z/28 ). GM could do such a car, if they wanted to. And the Camaro team seems to have hinted at least once or twice that they see space for two different top performers in the Camaro lineup (a high powered car and a track rat; like in the 5th gen). But there isn't really any evidence for a NA halo in the Camaro lineup, not right now anyways.

There are a lot of different forms a Z/28 could take (and a couple different ways to do a Z28 too). A sub-500 hp Z28, with a tweaked LT1 and modest enhancements over whats in the 1LE package could probably start in the upper 40's. Another no compromises Z/28 with a pure track focus, a unique engine, weighs savings, super-shocks, etc could again cost 80 grand or so. Those are the lower & upper limits as I see them, which means that it could be above the ZL1, priced right along side it, or between the ZL1 and the SS/1LE. Its really anybodys guess as to which direction GM will go.
80k would be too much. An LT1 with a power bump would be perfect.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Won't be an LT1 with a power bump unless you go ahead and mod it.

LT4 is THE only upgrade that is "available" from factory.

For LS there use to be LS3, LSA, LS7 and LS9. But now, it is only LT1 or LT4.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #8
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post

You think there will be another LT engine coming in the line up? Maybe an LT2 or something?
Old 02-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #9
bbrown450

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
My prediction is the ZL1 ...is gone and the Z28 will get the LT-4, follows the same pattern as the C7 when everyone was looking for the Z06 to be Nat. Asp. bumped up then wham ... the ZR-1, or "Zora"...is anyones guess, right now they are too busy counting their money, some of which is mine. They have to track with current production in order t keep the parts bin universal...
bbrown450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #10
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
The odds of there only being 2 generation 5 performance engines is just not likely at all, sure Gen III only saw the LS1 and LS6 engines. However generation 4 saw the LS2, LS3, LS4, LS7, LS9, L99, and LSA engines. All in all there was something over 20 different variants of the generation 4 engine.

A hotter version of the LT1 would likely be the next engine that they go with, a twin turbo version of the generation 5 in this day and age is also likely.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #11
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Have been saying exactly that all along, Camaro needs a NA, lightweight z28 to go after the GT350R head on. The SS takes care of the 5.0 GT handily. The 1LE takes care of the GT350, a higher horse, lighter weight , higher RPM Z28 to take care of the GT350R. The ZL1 should be on hold to fight the new GT500 if Ford builds one. It would be a waste to do a LT4 ZL1 to go up against the GT350R.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post

Yes, right now we only have 2 LT car engines. But thats twice as many as the LS family had this far into its run.

The LS1 debuted in the 1997 model year. It wasn't until the 2001 model year that the 2nd non-truck engine in the family came out (the LS6). It was 4 more years until GM added the LS2 & LS4 (5.3L car engine).

It was only in the latter half of half of the LS product cycle that things picked up. LS7 & L76 for 2006, LS3 in 2008, LSA & LS9 in 2009, then lastly the L99 for 2010.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #13
Blackdevil77

So if history repeats itself, it'll be quite some time before they add a new engine to the LT family.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #14
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
GM will let loose a Z/28. Bad enough to handle the GT350R and even embarrass a few exotics. It will be priced reasonably and Gm will take a bath on it.
It will under priced just to say look what we can do and you guys can actually buy it.

ex. A wicked $70 - $80,000 Track car they will sell for mid $50's

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote