Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
I had a problem where the TPMS was intermittent for several months, then the RKE stopped working. I went to the dealer 4 times before I got it fixed. They replaced the module that interfaces the TPMS and the RKE, then the BCM. The problems still existed. Their calls to GM service were not effective. Finally they searched somewhere on GM and found a step by step troubleshooting procedure for these two problems. They came up with a connector under the dash that was the problem. They could wiggle it and the problems would come and go. They wouldn't tell me what the site was where the information was found, so I can't give you a reference for that. HTH.

As a related note, they told me at first that the problem was being caused by the addition of the CurbAlert unit and that aftermarket additions to the electrical system voided the warranty, but they would fix it as a PR service!

Good luck. I know first hand how frustrating a persistent problem is when the dealer can't fix it. I hope your dealer is closer than mine; each trip for me was 35 miles to and 35 miles from. They finally decided to keep it until they got the problem fixed. I took it in on a Wed. and got it back the next Wed.

trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #16
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
I hope it gets all worked out too. I love the car in general. No problems other than the TPMS. It is just frustrating that they seem to try to find any possible reason that it isn't something wrong with the car, it must be something that I did. When I got back from Afghanistan, I bought the car as a stress release, and it works better than anything else, except when the TPMS rears its ugly head.
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #17
guapo
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro LT2/RS
I had the same issueand they replaced the BCM and both key fobs. I ended removing my aftermarket harness that allowed the DLRs to be on all the time and removed the aftermarket bulbs and have not had any further issues. Best of luck... I want to reinstall the bulbs to see if the issues come back but its been to cold.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #18
2012LS3VERT

I'm glad yours is sorted out. I removed my harness and DRLs and still had issues. Only thing left that was mentioned in this thread was issues with the keyless entry.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #19
GM_guy

Drives: 16 2LT Camaro, 15 Sierra CC 04 Yuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012LS3VERT View Post
I hope it gets all worked out too. I love the car in general. No problems other than the TPMS. It is just frustrating that they seem to try to find any possible reason that it isn't something wrong with the car, it must be something that I did. When I got back from Afghanistan, I bought the car as a stress release, and it works better than anything else, except when the TPMS rears its ugly head.
I'm with you on that too, the wife and I both love the Camaro. Funny thing is, I wanting to replace my 05 Silverado but I ain't doing anything until this is resolved.
GM_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #20
Edzo

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 63 Impala
Mine comes on and goes off intermittently also. I have the gauges and gen5diy harness installed but I think it happened before I put them in. If they were the issue, wouldn't the idiot lights always be on? Why would the harness cause an intermittent problem? Let us know what the GM guy finds.
Edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #21
2012LS3VERT

that's the thing, it did it with and without the harness, with/without the LED DRLs also.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #22
2012LS3VERT

They ordered a new RKE module and tire sensor today. We'll see how that goes. A field engineer looked at it.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #23
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post
I had a problem where the TPMS was intermittent for several months, then the RKE stopped working. I went to the dealer 4 times before I got it fixed. They replaced the module that interfaces the TPMS and the RKE, then the BCM. The problems still existed. Their calls to GM service were not effective. Finally they searched somewhere on GM and found a step by step troubleshooting procedure for these two problems. They came up with a connector under the dash that was the problem. They could wiggle it and the problems would come and go. They wouldn't tell me what the site was where the information was found, so I can't give you a reference for that. HTH.

As a related note, they told me at first that the problem was being caused by the addition of the CurbAlert unit and that aftermarket additions to the electrical system voided the warranty, but they would fix it as a PR service!

Good luck. I know first hand how frustrating a persistent problem is when the dealer can't fix it. I hope your dealer is closer than mine; each trip for me was 35 miles to and 35 miles from. They finally decided to keep it until they got the problem fixed. I took it in on a Wed. and got it back the next Wed.

So what got replaced? It should be on your reciept.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #24
GM_guy

Drives: 16 2LT Camaro, 15 Sierra CC 04 Yuk
So my in my last communication with GM customer service (12/16/13), I explained that I have no intention of removing my window tint until GM provides me with a TSB that explains what brand(s) of tint interfere with the RF signal to the TPMS. I also requested they tell me what material(s) in the tint is causing the issue.

Today almost exactly a month later, I receive a three page TSB (2596323)from the dealership about TPMS malfunctions. After reading through it the only thing it says about tint is in this one line:

"Occasionally sensor transmission are not received by the BCM due to vehicle level RF interference from items such as but not limited to aftermarket ignition systems, DVD players, CB radios, or metallic type tinting."

So after a month this is all they can come up with? They are wanting me to remove my tint (which bye-the-way is non metallic per 3M and the installer) at a cost of $150 to remove and $100+ to reinstall when that turns out not to be it. GM has so far, refused to pay for either.
GM_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #25
2012LS3VERT

I'd get a new receipt from the tint shop stating that it's nonmetallic. I've already done that so that if they say something I'd have it already. I'm still waiting for my new RKE module and left rear sensor.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #26
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
So what got replaced? It should be on your reciept.
Nothing got replaced other than the TPMS/RKE control module and the BCM. The fianl fix was accomplished by reseating the connector mentioned above and fastening it better. So far, so good.
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:20 PM   #27
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post
Nothing got replaced other than the TPMS/RKE control module and the BCM. The fianl fix was accomplished by reseating the connector mentioned above and fastening it better. So far, so good.
Good news. Thanks for the followup.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #28
revclock

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS1
doing without TPMS for now

I just upgraded my 2013 LS1 with the same aluminum alloy wheels which are standard equipment for 2014. They look great--a big improvement from the black steel wheels. Had the installation done at BJs wholesale club since one of my original equipment tires was replaced there. So, the guy didn't charge me anything for mounting and balancing, saving me a few hundred at the dealership. The only problem is he left the sensors in the steel wheels and the TPMS had been taken out of these take off wheels which were otherwise brand new. Reading about everyone's TPMS issues leads me to conclude that I'll drive without them for now. While it is true that my LED light tells me my tires have zero air everytime I turn the car on, I simply then turn the cancel/reset knob on the left to bring up the odometer/speedometer. I'll eventually take these out and save them for when I need new tires.
revclock is offline   Reply With Quote