Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-04-2019, 07:08 AM   #29
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
That is why mine came straight off the truck and to the PPF installer before even driving it!
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #30
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Some of the latest Advanced Technology is the Three-wet paint process which substantially improves finish quality. GM has updated to this process at the Orion assembly plant that builds the Bolt and Sonic and owning a 2018 and 2019 Sonic I can honestly say the paint is far superior than the paint on my 2017 and 2018 Camaro’s ...
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #31
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
That's just water based paint for ya...My Camry isn't any better
The base coat (color) is water base, the clear coat formulas have not changed, still urethane catalized material. The clear coat is just a tough as it was 15yrs ago. Sand blast is sand blast and paint will always chip because if it.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #32
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
My 2019 ZL1 1LE went from the dealer straight to the PPF guy. It’s black. The dealer left it alone like I told them to. No wash.
I was looking over it today with the paint correction guy. Holy shit. Tons of swirls and scratches. Yes I realize it’s black but there’s lots of swirls and scratches.
And there is one spot that had about 30 specs in the paint. Passenger side front fender right in front of the door.
The paint correction guy literally just texted me that not all the specs came out. He has never seen it before.
I realize it’s a lot of car for the money, performance wise I mean, but fack I wish it was shipped with a shipping wrap at least.
So not sure how my guy is gonna deal with the remaining specs but I hope the rest of them can be dealt with somehow. I told him to touch them up with a black sharpie.
It would look better than white specs anyhow.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #33
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
My wife has been looking for new cars or actually SUV's. Even MB and BMW all have orange peel these days. Water based paint and if you drive on roads that have some gravel you get chips. It isn't a GM thing.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:21 PM   #34
ohsmily
Account Suspended

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE A10 ShadowGrayMetallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
And there is one spot that had about 30 specs in the paint. Passenger side front fender right in front of the door.
The paint correction guy literally just texted me that not all the specs came out. He has never seen it before.
So not sure how my guy is gonna deal with the remaining specs but I hope the rest of them can be dealt with somehow.
It would look better than white specs anyhow.
30 specifications in the paint is a lot. You would think that GM paint would have fewer specifications given how crappy it is. What are the 30 specifications? At least your paint didn't have any specks in it! If it did, it would clearly show that GM has poor specs on their paint procedures. Someone should check the specs on that to ensure there are no specks in the paint.
ohsmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:50 PM   #35
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
It has to do with the change over to the water based paints....they just dont hold up well...
That happened about 40 years ago.

I have a 2000 Corvette. Barely a chip anywhere. Why? The clear coat was much thicker than today's paint. It also has almost no orange peel. I think the car companies are cheaping out on paint.
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:47 AM   #36
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
30 specifications in the paint is a lot. You would think that GM paint would have fewer specifications given how crappy it is. What are the 30 specifications? At least your paint didn't have any specks in it! If it did, it would clearly show that GM has poor specs on their paint procedures. Someone should check the specs on that to ensure there are no specks in the paint.
You got me. Yes it is specks. I looked today and it’s maybe 6-7 after the paint correction guy worked on it. Wayyyy better than it was before.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote