Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 10-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #29
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
To me, it's one of those things that is pretty cheap that can do a lot of good for the engine in the long run.

I'm going to monitor the forum to see how well GM's solution works, but as of now, the catch can is a no brainer for me.
From my understanding unless they have changed (which I am monitoring as well) GM has a catch can on the clean side. So still need to add a catch can on the dirty side.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #30
Noob

Drives: AUDI 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
From my understanding unless they have changed (which I am monitoring as well) GM has a catch can on the clean side. So still need to add a catch can on the dirty side.
what is the clean and what the dirty side on a V8 and why ?
And if 90% of the oil over the PCV comes from the dirty side why they install it on the clean ???
Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #31
lgKido

Drives: 2002 Dodge Ram :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonZ28 View Post
I suggest that everyone have a quality catch can in the budget when getting their LT1 Camaros. Just google the problem some C7s are having due to the direct injection (DI) fuel delivery.
The benefit-cost ratio for this item is extremely high. That's a 30k/40k car you've got there, and the price of a catch can? $20 - $100. Like dragonZ28 says, get it, and move on with your life. Good thread, btw.............
lgKido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #32
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
I have also come across that GM dumps the oil back in the pan from their catch cans. Any one else come accross this? I guess the condensation would be burnt off but not sure how I feel about that. Glad people will be getting theirs a month before mine so we can start to figure this out.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #33
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
I have also come across that GM dumps the oil back in the pan from their catch cans. Any one else come accross this? I guess the condensation would be burnt off but not sure how I feel about that. Glad people will be getting theirs a month before mine so we can start to figure this out.
Yes, this is my understanding, it is more a "Recycle Can", than a catch can.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:28 PM   #34
RenegadeSS

Drives: Camaro LLT
At least for the LTG they have a fix. http://www.performanceautowerks.com/...oducts_id=2054 http://zzperformance.com/fueling/lnf...ontroller.html
I used a fifth injector setup in my LNF cobalt, and it prevented any buildup on my valves. I did combo it with a good catch can though. This is something you guys can do.

Last edited by RenegadeSS; 10-29-2015 at 01:42 AM.
RenegadeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #35
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
I will say, I was skeptical about how much oil was really entering the intake, so I decided to buy an Elite catch can and what do you know, I accumulated quite a bit of oil over the past year that I have had it installed ..... I usually have to drain out of the catch can about 1/4-1/3 a cup ...... not all the time it's that amount but it's a good amount most times .......
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #36
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
This is on my mind everyday. I've got 1100 miles on my 2016 already and wondering when everyone is going to get theirs so we can get some forward progression on aftermarket items. I can't get anything for mine right now.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:31 AM   #37
neal_zack

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
anyone running this one

http://www.rxspeedworks.com/product/catch-can-kits/
Old 11-25-2015, 01:00 AM   #38
jimmypop13

What would be a good one to get? Any recommendations? I know when I had my LS1 with 460rwhp, I would get a lot of oil in the intake.
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #39
neal_zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
What would be a good one to get? Any recommendations? I know when I had my LS1 with 460rwhp, I would get a lot of oil in the intake.
Rx speed works has very high quality and great costumer service I posted a link earlier
Old 11-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #40
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonZ28 View Post
All engines have this to a certain degree, and some are worse due to vaccuum, PCV setup, etc.

As far as direct injection vs your typical EFI, the problem lies in the fact that in DI setups, the fuel never passes through the cylinder head intake port. This has pros and cons. Pros, you make more power. Con, the fuel acts as a cleaner to the intake port and intake valve/s. If it never passes through the port, it can not clean this up. However, oil vapor still passes through and builds up on your valves and cylinder head intake ports as well as the intake manifold.

It is a solid thing to research. I would highly recommend getting a catch can - even on top of GM's solution.
GDI is the most ignorant thing in modern cars. they make more power,better MPG and less emissions. but overtime when the valves get dirty. You make less power, and MPG drops. The cost and inconveniences of running a GDI is not worth it.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #41
neal_zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
GDI is the most ignorant thing in modern cars. they make more power,better MPG and less emissions. but overtime when the valves get dirty. You make less power, and MPG drops. The cost and inconveniences of running a GDI is not worth it.
pretty soon you wont have a choice DI is the future of gas engines. With that being said the car manufactures need to do a better job preventing the oil from getting in the intake manifold.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #42
Raybreiding

Drives: 2016 CAMARO SS2
It would be great to see pics of catch can placement as well as members to weigh in on which one they installed.

I would also suggest a good decarbbonizer be used periodically.

Last edited by Raybreiding; 12-09-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Raybreiding is offline   Reply With Quote