Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #43
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
That would be awesome if true and not really too far fetched for them to go through with it.
I just looked up a CTS Luxury trim, and they have Magnetic Ride Control available as an option with either 18" Painted or Polished Wheels. The painted wheels + MRC is $1550 and the polished wheels + MRC is $2000. Quite accessable indeed!

I just might jump at an SS with the LT1, 8-speed auto, and the MRC option. As long as it looks right, of course.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #44
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I just looked up a CTS Luxury trim, and they have Magnetic Ride Control available as an option with either 18" Painted or Polished Wheels. The painted wheels + MRC is $1550 and the polished wheels + MRC is $2000. Quite accessable indeed!

I just might jump at an SS with the LT1, 8-speed auto, and the MRC option. As long as it looks right, of course.
That would make a great Camaro. That 8 speed auto is becoming very tempting because I can remember how fun my buddy's 2002 Camaro SS was with the 4 speed auto. Instant acceleration.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #45
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
^^^ Plus with an Auto it will likely come with remote start in the higher trim levels. Ive had that a few times and now idk how to live without it! lol
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #46
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
That would make a great Camaro. That 8 speed auto is becoming very tempting because I can remember how fun my buddy's 2002 Camaro SS was with the 4 speed auto. Instant acceleration.
I have the V-6 (LLT) with the 6-speed auto now. There was a bit of a learning curve to get used to using the paddle shifters. But once I did, I wouldn't go back to a manual. You get the best of both worlds. Fully automatic in "D", and full manual in "M" (not to mention sport mode). Plus, it's faster. Nuff said.

Not to change the subject, but I have come to suspect that GM put a detuned 6.2L engine in the current SS when you get the automatic transmission because they thought that having the auto be faster than the manual would hurt sales (because people weren't ready to accept that fact just yet). But since the new Corvette is faster in the automatic form, I am guessing we will have one engine with the SS regardless of transmission choice. I definately don't want a less powerfull V-8, just because I prefer an automatic!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #47
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
^^^ Plus with an Auto it will likely come with remote start in the higher trim levels. Ive had that a few times and now idk how to live without it! lol
Me too!!! I work in a building with 3000+ people, and have to park far away. LOVE the OnStar app where I can start my car from my desk, then have it be all warm and toasty inside by the time I get out to the car.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #48
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Please read between the lines carefully:

" you think about Z/28 and ZL1, SS -- think about the satisfaction that a ZL1 offers you today off of current Zeta. Think about that satisfaction moved down from an accessibility and model-range standpoint. Think about that. If you like the ZL1 today, you're going to love the SS tomorrow."

What Mark is trying to tell us, without actually telling us, is that Magnetic Ride Control will be available on the SS as an option. Just like how MRC is now available as an option in several of the new Cadillacs without having to by the "V" models. He is not implying anything about performance of the new SS vs. the current ZL1. He is only implying that there will be improved accessibility in range model. Accessability to what? In my opinion, it is the MRC that will be accessible in the SS.
I think you're right. "satisfaction that a ZL1 offers you today off of current Zeta". Placing emphasis on the platform and what is unique to the ZL1.

Interesting to note that the 455 HP, ATS-V's reported 0-60 of 3.9s, top speed of 185, mag ride and brake package is comparable to the ZL1

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 12-08-2014 at 09:16 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:31 AM   #49
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Interesting to note that the 455 HP, ATS-V's reported 0-60 of 3.9s, top speed of 185, mag ride and brake package is comparable to the ZL1
That is interesting to note indeed!! I sure hope they unveil the C6 soon. I can't take all this guessing anymore. I need to see it, and find out if my suspicions are confirmed!
Old 12-09-2014, 02:42 AM   #50
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Quote:
That is interesting to note indeed!! I sure hope they unveil the C6 soon. I can't take all this guessing anymore. I need to see it, and find out if my suspicions are confirmed!
Weight wise it makes sense..
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #51

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Whatever became of this?...Not going to be heavier doesn't sound like 15% less...?

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282474

GM CEO orders 15% diet for new models by 2016
This can't be but good news for the weight of the 6th gen Camaro.

Via Autonews

Quote:
When General Motors CEO Dan Akerson vowed last week to cut the weight of new models 15 percent by the 2016 model year, he put his engineers on a rigorous schedule.

Is it doable? Yes, but it's a stretch, says one knowledgeable industry consultant.

"It will be a big effort," said Richard Schultz, managing director of Ducker Worldwide in suburban Detroit, an adviser on mass reduction to GM and other automakers. "That's a lot of work, and GM doesn't have a lot of time."

For instance, GM would have to shed about 600 pounds from a V-6-powered large sedan such as the Buick LaCrosse, which weighs 4,045 pounds.

Engineers could save as much as 200 pounds by substituting a four-cylinder engine for the V-6. The rest would come from lightweight materials.

Schultz said GM will avoid large amounts of carbon fiber reinforced plastic, and it is unlikely to introduce an aluminum-bodied car, as Audi and Jaguar have done.

Instead, GM will use:

• More high-strength steel for the body-in-white.

• Magnesium for selected parts such as transmission cases.

• More aluminum for doors, decklids, hoods and structural parts.

Like other CEOs, Akerson doubtless feels a sense of urgency to meet federal corporate average fuel economy standards, which rise to 35.5 mpg by the 2016 model year.

In his Houston speech last week, Akerson hinted at GM's intention to use more aluminum and high-strength steel.

GM has begun using spot welding to attach aluminum to the body-in-white, saving money and weight by eliminating rivets, which can add as much as two pounds to a car's weight.

The new spot welding system disrupts the oxide on the surface of an aluminum component, ensuring a stronger weld than before. That, in turn, eliminates the need for rivets, GM says.

GM offered a glimpse of the technology's potential with the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, company spokesman Dan Flores said.

Spot welding "allows engineers to look for more innovative ways to use aluminum beyond traditional uses" such as hoods, decklids and doors, Flores said.

Translation: Look for GM to use a lot more aluminum in structural components in the body-in-white.

GM also hopes to save money by introducing a high-strength steel that is under development. Last year, GM said it had invested in NanoSteel Co. of Providence, R.I., which has developed a nano-structured steel alloy.

Automakers like high-strength steel because they can make parts thinner, saving weight. But typically, steel alloys must be hot-stamped, which raises manufacturing costs.

NanoSteel is developing a high-strength steel that would be cold-stamped, at less cost.

"If it's cheaper, you can use more of it," Flores said. "It's still in trial, but that's where we think the competitive advantage is."

While GM is investing in aluminum and high-strength steel, one might argue that the company is still hedging its bets.

Take the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado pickup, which goes on sale this spring. GM says it cut 59 pounds by using an aluminum hood, front control arms and steering knuckles. It also used high-strength steel for two-thirds of the cab structure.

But GM could have saved more weight by introducing an aluminum cargo box, cab or bumpers. Mark Reuss, president of GM North America, has noted that fuel-conscious buyers can opt for the Chevrolet Colorado compact pickup.

But Schultz speculates that GM will work harder to cut the weight of its next-generation Silverado. "Why spend the extra money until you have to?" Schultz asks.

What about more exotic materials such as carbon fiber reinforced plastic? The Corvette features a carbon fiber hood, but this material is still too expensive for mass-market vehicles.

To cut cost, GM formed a partnership in 2011 with Teijin Ltd., a Japanese producer of carbon fiber. The company has opened a technical center in suburban Detroit to develop a cheaper way to manufacture carbon fiber reinforced thermoplastic.

Carbon fiber weighs one-fourth as much as conventional steel and is 10 times stronger. But it takes a long time for the resin to set in the mold.

Teijin is trying to reduce the cycle time required to produce carbon fiber parts to less than a minute. But that technology isn't ready, Flores said.

Because carbon fiber is not ready for prime time, that leaves aluminum and high-strength steel as the materials of choice -- especially for a vehicle's front end.

Look for engineers to use more aluminum hoods, bumpers, suspension components and possibly engine cradles.

But GM "is not going to use any technology that they are not already comfortable with," Schultz said. "Everything is happening just a little bit faster, but it's something they know how to do."
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #52
Z/284ever

Drives: A few Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Whatever became of this?...Not going to be heavier doesn't sound like 15% less...?

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282474

GM CEO orders 15% diet for new models by 2016
This can't be but good news for the weight of the 6th gen Camaro.

Via Autonews

Quote:
When General Motors CEO Dan Akerson vowed last week to cut the weight of new models 15 percent by the 2016 model year, he put his engineers on a rigorous schedule.

Is it doable? Yes, but it's a stretch, says one knowledgeable industry consultant.

"It will be a big effort," said Richard Schultz, managing director of Ducker Worldwide in suburban Detroit, an adviser on mass reduction to GM and other automakers. "That's a lot of work, and GM doesn't have a lot of time."

For instance, GM would have to shed about 600 pounds from a V-6-powered large sedan such as the Buick LaCrosse, which weighs 4,045 pounds.

Engineers could save as much as 200 pounds by substituting a four-cylinder engine for the V-6. The rest would come from lightweight materials.

Schultz said GM will avoid large amounts of carbon fiber reinforced plastic, and it is unlikely to introduce an aluminum-bodied car, as Audi and Jaguar have done.

Instead, GM will use:

• More high-strength steel for the body-in-white.

• Magnesium for selected parts such as transmission cases.

• More aluminum for doors, decklids, hoods and structural parts.

Like other CEOs, Akerson doubtless feels a sense of urgency to meet federal corporate average fuel economy standards, which rise to 35.5 mpg by the 2016 model year.

In his Houston speech last week, Akerson hinted at GM's intention to use more aluminum and high-strength steel.

GM has begun using spot welding to attach aluminum to the body-in-white, saving money and weight by eliminating rivets, which can add as much as two pounds to a car's weight.

The new spot welding system disrupts the oxide on the surface of an aluminum component, ensuring a stronger weld than before. That, in turn, eliminates the need for rivets, GM says.

GM offered a glimpse of the technology's potential with the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, company spokesman Dan Flores said.

Spot welding "allows engineers to look for more innovative ways to use aluminum beyond traditional uses" such as hoods, decklids and doors, Flores said.

Translation: Look for GM to use a lot more aluminum in structural components in the body-in-white.

GM also hopes to save money by introducing a high-strength steel that is under development. Last year, GM said it had invested in NanoSteel Co. of Providence, R.I., which has developed a nano-structured steel alloy.

Automakers like high-strength steel because they can make parts thinner, saving weight. But typically, steel alloys must be hot-stamped, which raises manufacturing costs.

NanoSteel is developing a high-strength steel that would be cold-stamped, at less cost.

"If it's cheaper, you can use more of it," Flores said. "It's still in trial, but that's where we think the competitive advantage is."

While GM is investing in aluminum and high-strength steel, one might argue that the company is still hedging its bets.

Take the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado pickup, which goes on sale this spring. GM says it cut 59 pounds by using an aluminum hood, front control arms and steering knuckles. It also used high-strength steel for two-thirds of the cab structure.

But GM could have saved more weight by introducing an aluminum cargo box, cab or bumpers. Mark Reuss, president of GM North America, has noted that fuel-conscious buyers can opt for the Chevrolet Colorado compact pickup.

But Schultz speculates that GM will work harder to cut the weight of its next-generation Silverado. "Why spend the extra money until you have to?" Schultz asks.

What about more exotic materials such as carbon fiber reinforced plastic? The Corvette features a carbon fiber hood, but this material is still too expensive for mass-market vehicles.

To cut cost, GM formed a partnership in 2011 with Teijin Ltd., a Japanese producer of carbon fiber. The company has opened a technical center in suburban Detroit to develop a cheaper way to manufacture carbon fiber reinforced thermoplastic.

Carbon fiber weighs one-fourth as much as conventional steel and is 10 times stronger. But it takes a long time for the resin to set in the mold.

Teijin is trying to reduce the cycle time required to produce carbon fiber parts to less than a minute. But that technology isn't ready, Flores said.

Because carbon fiber is not ready for prime time, that leaves aluminum and high-strength steel as the materials of choice -- especially for a vehicle's front end.

Look for engineers to use more aluminum hoods, bumpers, suspension components and possibly engine cradles.

But GM "is not going to use any technology that they are not already comfortable with," Schultz said. "Everything is happening just a little bit faster, but it's something they know how to do."
Hopefully, this is a case of "underpromise-overdeliver", by Reuss.

It would be nice if a V8 Camaro lost 500-600 pounds. That would be pretty surprising, though.
Z/284ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #53
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
A 15% reduction in weight from the current SS would put the 6th gen around 3,300 lbs. It's not going to happen.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #54
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
In my opinion, even a 7% reduction would be awesome.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #55
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Good read on breaking down Mark Reuss comments

http://www.torquenews.com/106/gm-bos...-gen-camaro-ss

Last edited by 13vertss; 12-10-2014 at 07:59 PM.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #56
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
To make it eisier.

Chevy Camaro Badge
By Patrick Rall G+ 2014-12-10 12:12
GM Boss Promises "ZL1 Satisfaction" from the Next Gen Camaro SS
It is widely expected that the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro will be significantly better than the current generation, but based on comments by General Motors’ boss Mark Reuss, the 6th gen Camaro could set a new standard for the muscle car segment.
The February 2015 issue of Motor Trend has an interview with General Motors President Mark Reuss that covers a variety of hot topics, most notably offering some vague insight into the 2015 Chevrolet Camaro. Reuss really didn’t reveal anything groundbreaking on the next gen Chevy muscle car, but his brief comments elude to great things for the 2016 Camaro.
The interview is lengthy and it touches on quite a few topics, but the very end is what caught my attention, as Reuss offered some interesting opinions on the Camaro based on his time driving the 2016 model. Reuss told Motor Trend to “think about that satisfaction that a ZL1 offers” and he went on to talk about that satisfaction being offered on other, lower cost models.
ZL1 Qualities in the 2016 Camaro SS
In dissecting Mark Reuss’ comments about the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro to Motor Trend, we have to first look at the current Camaro ZL1. Prior to the arrival of the track-ready Camaro Z/28, the Camaro ZL1 was the best overall performing GM muscle car ever, with a high tech adjustable suspension setup, a big brake package and a high horsepower, supercharged engine.
Camaro Galleries:
The new 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
A first look at the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
The 2012 COPO Camaro Convertible
I do not expect to see a supercharged engine option for the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS, but we can expect to see slight improvements in the brake setup compared to the current SS and I fully expect to see the magnetic suspension system from the ZL1 to be offered in the next gen Camaro SS – even if only as an option. As for the engine, I expect that the 2016 Camaro SS will pack the new LT1 V8 from the Corvette Stingray, which will offer a fair increase over the current LS3 engine.
In the interview with Motor Trend, Reuss also stated that the next generation Camaro would not get heavier. He didn’t actually say that it would be lighter than the current Camaro, but with the move to the new platform, it has been expected that the 2016 Camaro would be lighter than the comparable 5th generation model. When you factor in a slightly smaller stature with a lower curb weight, the 2016 Camaro SS with a higher performance suspension system, a Brembo braking package and the Corvette’s LT1 could conceivably compete with the current Camaro ZL1.

Even if the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS cannot outgun the current Camaro ZL1, the changes mentioned above should make good on Reuss’ promise of ZL1 satisfaction from a less expensive Camaro SS.
Camaro SS as the Muscle Car Standard
Provided that Mark Reuss’s comments about the excitement of the Camaro ZL1 coming to the next generation Camaro SS are true – and I fully expect that they will be – the 2016 Camaro SS will set the new standard for the muscle car segment. Shy of the Camaro Z/28 and perhaps the new Hellcat Challenger, the 5th gen Camaro ZL1 was really the total package for a muscle car. It didn’t pack the raw power of the Shelby GT500 Mustang, but it offered plenty of power to make it a handling beast. While the next Camaro SS wont pack 580 horsepower, the quick revving LT1 with 450-460 horsepower in the lighter 6th gen Camaro could go toe to toe with the current ZL1 in every race shy of a quarter mile drag race.
If General Motors can make the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS as impressive as the ZL1 in terms of handling and braking, the 450 horsepower LT1 should be enough to set the new expectations for the affordable muscle car segment. The 2016 Camaro SS wont compete with the likes of the Shelby GT350 or the Hellcat Challenger (I expect a new super-Camaro to handle those models), but the 6th gen SS package could become the crème of the crop in terms of the high volume muscle cars.
Most importantly, a 2016 Camaro SS that is even almost as good as the current Camaro ZL1 should be enough to hand a serious beating to the 2015 Ford Mustang GT.
The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro is rumored to debut at the Detroit Auto Show in January, so hopefully we will only be waiting and speculating for another model or so.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote