Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-22-2016, 07:17 AM   #29
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
A few years ago, Motorola decided to move manufacturing of the Moto X to the US. They said that it only increase manufacturing costs by a couple bucks per unit. Motorola ended up moving production out of the country after a year, because they weren't moving enough units to turn a profit. Had the phone sold as well an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy phone, it would still be produced here today, and there would likely be others being produced along side it.

Moving production here is viable economically without everything exploding in price. The sentiments in this thread are correct, though, that people can't just be looking for the lowest priced good, because that will never be the one made in the US.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:32 AM   #30
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Today's manufacturing is often based where the resource is located, not where the market for said product..a long time a worked in a store sold socks..1 made in China and 1 made in usa. The usa socks costs 1.00 more which one sold like 8-1..the Chinese socks..a sole dollar wouldn't persuade the public..combine cost with manufacturing near the resource...it ain't pretty
Old 08-22-2016, 07:48 AM   #31
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
globalization is a blessing and a curse. But rest assured. It's pretty much guaranteed to equalize all parts of the globe eventually. once the cost of labor is the same everywhere and everyone's gone through many cycles of unemployment and market crashes, then businesses will be back to sourcing local labor to where a product is sold again. It just takes time for cost of living to catch up with efficiency of transportation.
We can do better. Germany runs a trade surplus every year. While it true that they benefit from weak EU partners, their government also has tight fiscal policy that suppresses domestic spending on imports.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:52 AM   #32
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetal454 View Post
War is a business as much a strategy of conflict. When the war machine stopped after WWII there wasn't as much to do. Eventually the decline of the auto industry contributed to Detroits decline. All the manufacturers were bust supplying things for the war effort. Tanks, planes, vehicles of all sorts.

Look at the city today and you cant help but feel it has been cast aside as if it was disposable.
The underclass is also a business that has, and is, being cultivated. Problems identified but never solved and a lack of immigration policy to further stock the pool.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #33
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
I think the question here should be why is it more expensive to make here and try to address those issues. Why is healthcare so expensive, well it's become a for profit business and that only helps to drive the price of labor up.
Sad to see that made in the USA products are the rarety when they used to be the standard of the world.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #34
DefianceDan
VroomVroom

Drives: 2017 50th 2SS
Meh....doesn't surprise me. My question though is what does the back look like? It is adhesive that covers the entire letter or just a spot?

(I'm guessing you ordered these for when the start falling off the car...hmm....China you say)
Old 08-22-2016, 08:42 AM   #35
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
I have worked in manufacturing, supporting manufacturing, or working with factories in manufacturing/operations for all of my 40+ year career. When my factory couldn't compete economically, I ended u being part of the transfer team supporting the Tijuana facility. When their wages started to rise, that factory went to China. I have moved manufacturing to Malaysia, from there to China, & now China's middle class is rising. Wages are rising 30%/year in Shenzhen. The large factories that make the iPhone's (Foxconn Longhua) are replacing workers with robot. Sound familiar?

All things in business goes in cycles... bottom line is we are consumers & don't want to pay more for things in general. Hardware start up's come to people like me to get things made, & I can usually get it done well & at a lower cost than here in the USA. Not always, & volume comes into play. But that is changing with the economics in China right now. Will jobs come back here or will we just have low paying jobs flipping burgers? I have a company talking with us that actually has designed a robotic system that completely assembles hamburgers cooked & made to order, grapes them up & puts them into a box. Even those jobs could eventually be going away.

Other countries place way higher value in higher education then we do. And it isn't about our trade policies, or who sits in the oval office. We need to wake up. It's competition & simple economics - the desire for cheaper goods.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #36
trublucamaro

Drives: 1967 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefianceDan View Post
Meh....doesn't surprise me. My question though is what does the back look like? It is adhesive that covers the entire letter or just a spot?

(I'm guessing you ordered these for when the start falling off the car...hmm....China you say)

I will post a picture of the back. It has an adhesive pad that covers the entirety of the letter almost to the edges. They are also encased in a thin piece of foam, i'm assuming, to make placement easier.

The protective strip covering the adhesive isn't stuck on real good. It protects but seems TOO easy to come off, and when they arrived in shipment one corner of it was loose, so i checked the adhesive and its tacky but not overly so. Its quite possible they got over ambitious with the design in making them individual letters versus something thats one solid piece... Therefore theyre coming off... Because the adhesive doesnt have a lot of surface areaa...
trublucamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #37
BigCee66
I Design stuff ;)

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Thank the policies of this nation's government ,both sides included, that nothing much is made here anymore. Also for the fact the national pride is practically nonexistent anymore. Just look at all the asshats destroying the flag and being all proud about it by posting it to the web.
exactly dont make any damn since...smh
Old 08-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #38
tcbracing

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by trublucamaro View Post
Just got a set of these in the mail...

So the 50th Anniversary Camaro Emblems are made in China.

There's a bit of me that's disappointed in that...

I'll leave this here...
The good news is that it is a US based company - SRG Global. They make chrome Grilles for GM (locally).

2SS Convertible, Mosaic Black, Red Hashmark, Adrenaline Red Interior, A8, NPP, MRC, 56R Wheels

6/6/2016 Dealer entered order
6/7/2016 Received order # TMXWV0 - Status 1100
6/11/2016 Status 3000
6/22/2016 Status 3400 - TPW 6/27
6/29/2016 My car is born!!
7/13/2016 Status 4300
7/14/2016 Status 4B00
7/18/2016 Status 4200
7/25/2016 Status 4800
7/29/2016 Status 5000 - Drove home!!
tcbracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #39
KenH.

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 NPP MRC
Disappointed this didn't turn into a political free for all pissing match. This is not the maturity level I expect on an internet forum.
KenH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #40
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinLover View Post
You're right, it is sad. But I wouldn't blame it all on the outsourcing... it was a solution to the problem. It goes back to the unions demanding extreme wages for factory workers that put together the cars. Many were replaced by robots to do their work in an attempt to make up the costs and improve efficiency, and the rest of the workers continued to whine because making $30-$40/hour was apparently not enough along with all the benefits. A company can't stay in business if it costs more to make something than to sell it - simple economics. The city of Detroit put all their eggs in one basket with the Auto industry instead of branching out to sustain itself should the unthinkable happen (which it did).

It's happening in many other industries... look at McDonalds/fast food workers wanting $15/hour to flip a burger and server fries. Jobs like McDonalds are stepping stones to learn work ethics and responsibility, not to make a living unless you make it to upper management. Higher wages = higher costs and higher inflation which still keeps those $15/hour workers at the bottom.

And it's only getting worse with this entitlement Generation Y/Z thinking everything should be handed to them on a silver platter coming out of high school. No one is a winner, everyone is an equal and gets a trophy for just showing up whether they did anything or not. If the tests are too hard, the standards are lowered instead of increasing the accountability. Where is the education and responsibility in that? Blame it on the politically correct BS nation we've become - as many call it "The Pussification of America". I've worked hard since I was 14 for everything I have. I don't take handouts from the government and live off it for nothing. I work for satisfaction that I'm making my contribution to society, not to try and make millions. If I should happen to have a great idea, market it, and make a million that way, then so be it (sadly, that hasn't happened yet... but I'm not disappointed). People need to learn to live for happiness, not for money!

This is what I was looking for! Too often we look at policy or politics without turning to ourselves. Our governement, past and present, has made choices that have helped some while hurting most. With that I agree, but there is also a problem with our society assuming things will always be good. How many people have solid savings? 401k or TSP? How many of us, could survive for 6 months,a year, 5 years without a job? How many of us place real value on our healthcare? People, more than not, dont prepare themselves for the worst case scenario. They do just enough to get buy from the bottom to the top. Look at how many millionaires rise and fall each year. Detroit, as mentioned earlier, was mismanaged at every level of government. City officials were milking the auto industry making back room deals and pushing contracts and funding their way without considering the second and third order effects. The city ran rampid with drugs and violent crime as unemployment grew and public health worsened. Outsourcing was a symptom, not the disease. The wealthy elite, just pushed further from the city's center leaving it to rot from the inside out. PEOPLE ruined detroyed, not just its policies.
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #41
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
We need more $15/hr burger flippers.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #42
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Let me get this straight:

There is a general consensus that Camaros (and cars in general) are too expensive and GM is using too many parts (more than 0) from low cost countries like China instead of being domestically sourced.

Improving one requires making the other worse.

You can't have eaten your cake and still have it sitting in front of you.