Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #15
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride98red View Post
Wow! I'm no expert, and am learning every day, but I have never seen a coating make this claim: (From Chemical Guys Web site)

"Carbon Flex C9 is the next level of car care protective coatings. Lower end coatings could scratch and swirl, then highlight defects because they are clear. Carbon Flex C9 uses flexible protection technology that helps reject scratches from the surface of the coating. As the coating heats and cools from direct sunlight and shade, the polymer protection chains expand and contract to reshape itself and actually self-repair minor swirls and scratches that build up on the coating surface. Carbon Flex C9 absorbs damage and blocks the elements so your paint doesn’t have to. Coating paintwork, metal, plastic, and glass with Carbon Flex C9 is like adding a layer of clear armor against UV sunlight, pollution, water spots, bird droppings, swirls, scratches, and more. The innovative carbon coating is engineered to block harmful UV solar rays. Vehicles coated with Carbon Flex C9 resist fading, discoloration, and oxidation. The durable coating ensures strong protection through spring, summer, fall, and winter. Protect, shine, and preserve exterior surfaces to prevent fading, discoloration, scratching, and spotting with Carbon Flex C9 Protective Coating.
It is the one coating that I have used that smells different from the rest I've tried. It smells like super glue.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #16
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Carbon flex looks inviting as I like chemical guys products. Really like their microfiber towels, buckets with grit guards, microfiber wash mitts. Although the cost of this ceramic coat is 2-3x CQuartz. I see no reason. I do not see any problems with light scratches on my CQuartz with reload anyways.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #17
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
I just coated my wheels with Adams and so far I like the results. I used the wheels as a test case to see how easy/difficult it was to apply. After doing the wheels I think we (my wife and I) are going to move forward with doing the rest of the car. We will probably do it in small sections. The paint correction is the most intimidating part to me. My wife seems much better at it than I am.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #18
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
Although the cost of this ceramic coat is 2-3x CQuartz. I see no reason. I do not see any problems with light scratches on my CQuartz with reload anyways.

It's a problem I have raised with Chemical Guys. There's enough in the bottle for 3 cars. I asked them why not sell it in 1/3 the size portion. They had no good answer but I suspect it is because smaller amounts would dry up in the bottle. I applied a bottle to 2 cars and when I went to do a third one (granted 9 months later) the carbon flex was dried up like super glue.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #19
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
These coatings are active polymers diluted in solvents, and have a shelf life that is subject to storage conditions. Storage "in a cool dry place," beats a garage always, even unopened. Once opened, some will react with oxygen further shortening the shelf life.

I went with Gtechniq crystal serum black and Exo. Works great and looks fantastic!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #20
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
These coatings are active polymers diluted in solvents, and have a shelf life that is subject to storage conditions. Storage "in a cool dry place," beats a garage always, even unopened. Once opened, some will react with oxygen further shortening the shelf life.

I went with Gtechniq crystal serum black and Exo. Works great and looks fantastic!
Good info. I store my coatings in a safe in my basement LOL!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
ride98red

Drives: 2017 Summit White Chevy Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Good info. I store my coatings in a safe in my basement LOL!
hahahahahaha
ride98red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #22
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride98red View Post
hahahahahaha
It's actually a fireproof safe so theoretically there is no ventilation but I tell people that its because they are so expensive
Old 09-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #23
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
I just coated my wheels with Adams and so far I like the results. I used the wheels as a test case to see how easy/difficult it was to apply. After doing the wheels I think we (my wife and I) are going to move forward with doing the rest of the car. We will probably do it in small sections. The paint correction is the most intimidating part to me. My wife seems much better at it than I am.
Glad our wheel coating did a good job for you!
Thanks!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #24
Nachos17

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
What I dont understand with the C9 and various other coatings that i have read about, they say after its cured you can top it with your choice of glaze, sealant, or wax. Isnt that defeating the purpose of these coatings?
Nachos17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #25
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachos17 View Post
Kirkh, did you apply it yourself or have it done? I was looking at several different ones. Chemical guys, adams, blackfire, and a few others. All are pretty similar in price for the full kit and all have good reviews.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:00 AM   #26
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachos17 View Post
What I dont understand with the C9 and various other coatings that i have read about, they say after its cured you can top it with your choice of glaze, sealant, or wax. Isnt that defeating the purpose of these coatings?
A lot of the ceramic coatings are not naturally hydrophobic. They feel and act more like window glass than wax. So folks typically add a second hydrophobic coating on top of the ceramic.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #27
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
This photo was taken last week. Not the best to illustrate my point, but this is 13 months later after applying Uber ceramic from auto geek. It is so shiny still and I’ve done nothing but wash it for 13 months. No wax. No reload. No clay.
Attached Images

cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:07 PM   #28
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post
Glad our wheel coating did a good job for you!
Thanks!
It seems to have done great. Easy to work with and looks awesome. I think I am changing my mind and may go for the trim coating next. Will be placing another order with Adams soon!
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote