Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Are you starting to lose interest in the new Camaro?
Yes, not sure how much I even care anymore about this car. 13 7.93%
Still interested, but, yeah, I am a bit less enthusiastic than I was 73 44.51%
No, my interest level is the same as it was a few months ago 41 25.00%
I've actually become a little more interested lately 17 10.37%
Are you kidding? I'm way more jazzed now than I've ever been!! 20 12.20%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #113
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMOWNER2 View Post
I have personally owned a Pontiac GXP with HUD and within a couple of years the damn thing kept going out, not to mention the front windshields are more expensive to replace. They are a Gimmick.
HUD was originally developed, and I believe still used, for Fighter Pilots, so they wouldn't have to take their eyes off their flight path for targeting etc. From that perspective, definitely not a gimmick.

Now, the question is, why are so many lux and performance models using HUD, because it's a gimmick? I think plenty of folks get real use out HUD, so IMO, not a gimmick, but if you find HUD useless, then I can understand why for you...it is a gimmick. To each their own i guess.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #114
Kdogg

Drives: Hyundai genesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
For me, I was looking for something fresh and new, because I don't like the refreshed 5th gens. However, the prototypes have curbed my enthusiasm, because they look like the same car on a different platform.

I was hoping the reveal would turn up something more new and exciting, but the longer it takes, the more I think about scratching the Camaro off my list of cars I'm considering altogether.
I'am with you,I hope it's worth the wait! My Gen coupe lease is up this summer and Camaro is at the top of the list for a replacement. If it doesn't live up to the wait, looks like a Challenger with scat pack for me?
Kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #115
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Love HUD, let's me concentrate on the road better than constantly looking down at my speed. Any car I buy in the future that has it as an option is getting that box checked.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #116
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Gimmicks sell. Deal with it.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #117
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Those damn trolls!!
IF HUD was that great then it would be in all vehicles. Cost is a factor here.
I get rock chips on my windshield every now and then; I have replaced 3 windshields in the past 3 years.
In my opinion the HUD is a gimmick. And that's my opinion and im sticking to it.
Take a look at the standard features of a Mercedes S class over the last 20 years. You will see that when something becomes standard on a S class, some years later it becomes standard on all vehicles (ex. airbags, ABS, TCS, ESP, etc...) Cost is definitely a factor, but electronics size and price are continuously reducing. Some form of HUD may be standard on all cars in the next 10 years.

Sounds like for you, OEM HUDs are not cost effective if you have that kind of bad luck with windshields. Your insurance company must love you. And you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #118
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Regarding fighter pilots. I'm pretty sure the display is in the pilots helmet and not in the windshield. I believe there might be a lot more to that then comparing it to a HUD mirrored on a vehicle windshield. Do commercial planes have HUD in their windshields?.
My last point here is that just because its mirrored info on your windshield doesn't make it better, your focal point is still being diverted if you have to focus on what your seeing. HUD is cool but that's it... a gimmick!
Actually there are two types now in use:

This is the conventional reflective display. Note the image is not on the exterior windscreen but a separate angled piece of glass inside the cockpit.

The second type is the new HMD (Helmet Mounted Display). These use projectors inside the helmet to display the image directly on the visor.

Commercial airliners do use HUDs, but introduction has been slow primarily due to cost. With pilot workloads increasing, busy/congested airports, and advances in ILS the benefits to airline pilots have vastly increased compared to a few years ago. Here the cockpit of the new 787.

As for focus. You have to focus on your regular dash instruments correct? You look down away from the field of view of the windshield. That's not just focusing on a point in your vision, that's diverting your vision entirely. Good drivers with good peripheral vision and good reflexes can do this and maintain a good margin of safety. But if every driver had the above...would we have as many auto accidents as we do now? The average driver does not. We are also increasing;y distracted by things like our phone, navigation directions, playing with the radio, and etc... Like it or not we need things to reduce workload and keep our eyes on the windshield in front of us. Because we all know people are not going to stop using their phones/radios/etc in cars.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #119
lgKido

Drives: 2002 Dodge Ram :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
No disrespect taken
Gotcha, thanks................
lgKido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #120
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
HUD is GREAT!!! I used to have it on my Wolfenstein video game (as with most vid games) years ago. It was very nice to see your HUD with ammo, health, and map status and stuff while you were shooting Nazis, etc.

Of course, I don't have it on the 2010, but do have it on the ZL1. I like it, but I don't absolutely feel I need it. It's good to have the option, though.

I think the wraps will be off in the spring. That way, people still have some time to order a 2015 the way they want if they don't like the '16, it'll be close enough to generate the showroom buzz to sucker the "gotta have the latest at any price" crowd to plunk down $$ above MSRP to have one, and also to help deplete the '15 inventory as people who are tired of waiting want to score big on the clearance pricing.

That's just how I see it. I could be wrong.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:12 PM   #121
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Those damn trolls!!
IF HUD was that great then it would be in all vehicles. Cost is a factor here.
I get rock chips on my windshield every now and then; I have replaced 3 windshields in the past 3 years.
In my opinion the HUD is a gimmick. And that's my opinion and im sticking to it.
I see you changed your name and got back on the forum. Play nice this time around.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #122
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
My brother had HUD on his 93 Bonneville SSE..
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #123
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
HUD will not affect my decision-making process. I don't have it on my 2010, I wouldn't be upset one way or the other on a 2016. I couldn't give 2 $hits what other cars have it. That being said, I will not pay extra for it if it's an option.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #124
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
just wish they would throw in a teaser picture somewhere
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #125
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
Well its not a teaser but it is my version. A little bit of corvette flavor.
Attached Images

ssrs396 is offline   Reply With Quote