Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
Sixgunsled

Drives: 2017 camaro SS 1LE
Cam in a 2017 1LE

I was wondering if anyone has put a cam in a 2017 SS 1LE? I ask because I know our cars do not come with the AFM and I was curious what all needs to be replaced to run a blower cam. Mine is procharged and I'd like to do a cam swap eventually but I don't know what all I need to order besides the cam. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sixgunsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #2
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
Hit up LSXperts in North GA

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
It still has all the AFM crap as far as I am tracking. 1LE's could be different though.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixgunsled View Post
I was wondering if anyone has put a cam in a 2017 SS 1LE? I ask because I know our cars do not come with the AFM and I was curious what all needs to be replaced to run a blower cam. Mine is procharged and I'd like to do a cam swap eventually but I don't know what all I need to order besides the cam. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Give us a call we have Blower specific camshaft kits and can guide you and provide you with the other upgrades you will need to support your build.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:59 AM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
It still has all the AFM crap as far as I am tracking. 1LE's could be different though.
no the M6 cars do not have AFM. only automatics do.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:22 AM   #6
PRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
no the M6 cars do not have AFM. only automatics do.
Unless things changed for the 17 1LE's, M6's have the same springs, lifters and cam. AFM just in turned on. I am not sure you could turn it on if you wanted to. But I believe it was confirmed a long while back that the M6 and A8 engines have identical valve train. If that is true then yes, M6's do have all the AFM crap. It just isn't functional.

Last edited by PRAY; 04-26-2017 at 04:49 AM.
PRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #7
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
PRAY is correct^ I have confirmed with 2 independent shops that we have all the hardware.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
hzisfrom1994
ZYJ

Drives: 2017 1SS Camaro/6 speed
I confirmed with Vengeance that the M6 do in fact comes with it, just not activated. Unfortunately... =(
hzisfrom1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I got 28.1 mpg going from Fuquay NC to Roanoke VA. I don't need no stinkin AFM! A cam "swap" is quite an expensive deal in these apparently. GM offers a heads cam combo though, might be worth looking in to. Pray is working on porting the stock heads to maximize the stock cam. You should be able to do a lot with the tune altering cam timing with headwork. I'm wondering if someone is gonna come out with a "ghost" cam tune.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
As said, it is the same engine as the auto SS uses. GM is into saving money where they can now, that means using the same engine in the SS and the 1LE.

That means with a cam upgrade, some lighter lifters and better springs there should be some good performance to be gained from the upgrade.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Why would you want it activated? Anyone seen all the 5.3L trucks having problems with lifters because of this? Maybe old problem solved but I was jumping for joy to know the M6 did not have this activated. Originally they were saying on the 2016 v8 m6 would be this way. My gas mileage is impressive for 460hp. at 55mph in 6th gear can maintain between 28-30mpg. At 72 mph I average 25-26 mpg. Lifetime average is 20 mpg and I see 100-140 daily with at least once daily of a 0-80 pull.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #12
PRAY

I will be testing my heads with the stock cam configuration starting Sunday or Monday depending on my work load this weekend. I have some custom cam ideas I am running by some smart guys so we will see what I can come up with. I am planning on offering three cams for stock heads and three cams for ported heads some time soon. I have one right now that I know works for stock heads very well. It has shown big gains across the rpm band. I will be helping finish up the dyno tuning and track testing of it shortly.

I am also going to try to keep the grinds AFM compatible if the customer so wishes. I think for that they just add two degrees to the AFM lobes. NBD. I happen to enjoy AFM and see it's value for the A8 guys. Even with the converter and on E I am seeing high 19mph average in my car. I have to mess with the tuning some more to get it to stay in AFM a bit longer than it is now since I have a ton more tq than stock. The window to stay in AFM is only 5KPA or so from what I have seen in the tune with the very limited time I have spent looking at it. The only issue I foresee is getting the correct spring pressure to handle the cam and not mess up the AFM lifters. From what this motor will spin to right now it seems GM has come a long way on their AFM lifters over the previous GEN V offerings.

My focus is going to be on maximizing tq over the entire curve while maintaining a 6,500 redline at most. I think with VVT there isn't any reason we should be losing any tq. I will be happy with 30-40rw gains up top and the same boost in tq across the rpm band. There are plenty of guys manufacturing cams that will spin to 7K right now and I am not interested in the all out market right now. I feel that this will best suit the M6 guys and guys with stock converters. I will keep the duration on the low side and I really want to shorten up the lobe sep and advance the cam a bit to maximize DCR. The cams will also drive much better and sound really good. Border line "nasty" if I get it right.

PTV is my main concern right now for the intake valve in the fully advanced position and how much retard I can get away with at high rpm for the exhaust. I am going to measure all of that this weekend when I do my cam swap.

My buddy had his motor out doing his cam swap and said that there was .200" of PTV on the intake for the stock cam. I am going to verify this and do my math from there to see how early I can open the intake valve and maintain .100" PTV. This will also let me know if I can have Cometic make me some .040" gaskets for the guys on full time E. I will then either mill the heads or run a shorter gasket to bump SCR and DCR to take advantage of E. This process will be a major bump in power for even the stock cam guys.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #13
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Pray thanks for doing all the homework on maximizing vvt with a bigger cam. I wanted to see the biggest cam while still using the full vvt range and compare that to the specs of one using the limiter and evaluate the trade offs. A few options out there but not too much info on where the cam is in the spectrum of vvt. you're already on it so thanks.

I've asked this already a few times but figure I'll check in again, any luck in enabling afm on the m6 cars?

If you move to shorter head gaskets will you impact ptv?

For guys on E are you looking to bump CR or is there benefit from tighter quench?
I would imagine any aftermarket cam would be able to swallow up the SCR of the gasket bump because of the drop in DCR. Without running the calculator it's a big assumption on my end.
6spdhyperblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #14
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
Why would you want it activated? Anyone seen all the 5.3L trucks having problems with lifters because of this? Maybe old problem solved but I was jumping for joy to know the M6 did not have this activated. Originally they were saying on the 2016 v8 m6 would be this way. My gas mileage is impressive for 460hp. at 55mph in 6th gear can maintain between 28-30mpg. At 72 mph I average 25-26 mpg. Lifetime average is 20 mpg and I see 100-140 daily with at least once daily of a 0-80 pull.
They redesigned the lifters IIRC. We had our 11 Silverado strand my wife over it and GM replaced them with supposedly newer style. We also got our 08 G8 GT lifters replaced under warranty due to heavy vibration when AFM kicked in and the same dealer didn't want to chance it.